Looking for a real legit top Kung Fu school in Long Island of Nassau/Suffolk area

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by NewAge15, Oct 5, 2018.

1. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

Anyone know any good Kung Fu schools from these areas? I mean a school that actually trains you in good skills, along with keeping your body in shape and is not just trying to scam you into thinking you're learning something.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What style of Kung fu are you interested in?

3. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

Doesn't really matter. I like pretty much all the styles as long as the teacher is really good and not some fake watered down school.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Define fake and watered down. What are your aims and goals from it?

5. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

To stay fit, learn skills and techniques that work in a real life scenario, train with real live resistance and not just do the forms pretending it will work in real life, health benefits like body circulation and proper breathing. And not just do stand up striking but even joint locks, take down throws, kicks, or how to defend yourself against being attacked on the ground just as much as defend against standing up. Be well rounded.

6. Pretty In Pink

You might find it difficult to find all of that under one roof of Kung Fu. The only Chinese style that practices like that nowadays is Choi LiFu or Sanda/Sanshou. Everywhere else will probably just do the patterns and never really hit each other.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Go to an MMA gym is your best bet

Xue Sheng likes this.
  8. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

Where is there a Choi Lifu school around LI Nassau NY? I heard Hung Gar is pretty good too. Is that similar to it?

9. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

I'm not looking to grapple and fight into submissions or anything. Just like a school that incorporates what could potentially happen in a real life fight. I heard back in the day all martial art schools, including Kung Fu, Taekwando? and Karate all used to spar, do forms, drills, do take towns and grappling, striking, kicking, basically everything was incorporated in all the martial arts, accept each style practiced more based on what they were, like Taekwando had more kicking than the rest, Wing Chun had more close range hand strikes than the rest, Karate had more punching and kicking skills, yet they all had everything you could look for in a martial arts, this was before MMA was big or around and even the arm bar was in every single TMA before MMA. Even Monkey Kung Gu would of had arm bars, grappling, kicks and strikes, why are styles so divided now that Kung Fu is only forms and weapons? Tawkando is only kicking? Kickboxing is only boxing and kicking? Wing Chun is only sticky trapping hands, Hung Gar from what I heard is very good but I'm hearing it's only focused now on palm strikes. every martial art has kicking and grappling, palm strikes, fist strikes, knees strikes, forms etc. Why the change?

Is Choi Lifut the only style that is well rounded and mixes it all? So basically this is the old school style of MMA before it was a sport?

10. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Yes you are.

Hannibal and axelb like this.
  11. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

So you're telling me that Kung Fu has no grappling or throws?

12. Monkey_Magic

Monkey_Magic Well-Known Member

San Shou/Sanda has throws, alongside striking. It’s probably your best bet. (I’m bias, as it’s what I do, but it certainly meets what you’re looking for.)

Also, Shuai Jiao is Chinese wrestling. I believe there’s no striking, but a wealth of throws.

Dog Style kung fu is a purely ground fighting style, with ground grappling (not just forms).

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Xue Sheng likes this.
  13. Pretty In Pink

You'd be VERY hard pressed to learn anything to the level of MMA if you're going to seek traditional martial arts. Quite simply MMA is far more consistent, far more common, and more effective for fighting in general. Again, if your heart was set on good fighting styles, your best bet is Sanshou for chinese styled arts.

14. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You heard wrong

15. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

Then how come I tried a few classes around 20 years ago that was Kung Fu and they had grappling, throws, kicks, punches, forms, some weapons training and a few self defense moves? And this was before MMA became a big thing.

I heard there was more schools like this even further back in the day.

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Not all sparred ,very few had effective grappling outside of throws, ground work was almost no existent, and the standing grappling low Percentage.
    20 years ago the ufc was busily showing us that what we all that was good traditional training involving throws and standing grappling was really low percentage stuff

17. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

Then why did the school that I tried out do it? Unless it was a fake Kung Fu school and really an MMA school?

18. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Kung Fu is rather generic, what style of kung Fu was the school you went to teaching.

As for the rest of your requirements you should look to Sanda/Sanshou or possibly Kung Fu San Soo

19. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You don't know enough about training to know what's effective.

20. NewAge15

NewAge15 New Member

I think it was called Lama style.

I haven't heard of any Sanda schools nearby, what is San Soo?