Liverpool 2009

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Herbo, Nov 29, 2009.

1. KSW_123

KSW_123 Valued Member

My romanization is no good, but it is something like Dae Ryun.

2. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Many thans KSW

3. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Actually, you have that wrong, KSW_123. Dae Ryun (대련) is the term used for sparring, even though the root word it's derived from is more close to "confrontation" or "altercation" (대립;dae rip = opposition; confrontation; rivalry). To help illustrate the mistake, consider the set of techniques now taught at chodan but which I first witnessed as the "pièce de résistance" of a KSW seminar (back when instead of getting a lecture, GM IHS helped us memorize the points on the Lung Meridian), which is called Geun Dae Ryun (근대련). I had always learned this was the name given to sparring drills (or 'promised' sparring), as the word 'geun' either refers to diligence and frugality [patience/perseverance] (i.e. safety) or to a foundational building block - as I'm not sure which. The korean term I learned which equates to RANDORI, happens to carry the meaning and exact translation of "FREE sparring" and that term is Jah Yoo Dae Ryun (자유대련). So at least you had it half right.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

but randori (in aikido anyway) IS prearranged as in i have never seen a randori which included kicks or strike counters.

5. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Thanks U-KJN,

Choladeva, I suppose there are no kicks in the Aikido Randori, is beacuse there are no "techniques" from a kick per se in Aikido. There are punches in an Aikido Randori however, as there are techniques from punches.

But I have to say that the Randori I have seen in Aikdio were far from prearrangned.

Now I cannot speak for any other martial arts and their randori but it is supposed to be "freestyle".

Just a couplle of thoughts.

Cheers All,

Quozl

6. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

i dont know... there are no jab cross hooks. i think its prearranged in the sense that the defender knows they cant strike and that they wont do combos. they also seem to go all into each move full force. idk, its beautiful, but its like if we do a demo and i say ,"okay quozl we are gonna free spar and all you are gonna do is kick punch and ill do the rest" oh wait, we do that to...
    its just not freesparring as ive come to learn the term i guess.

7. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi Choladeva,

I guess I see what you mean.

I shall have to ponder a wee bit I think!

All the best.

Quozl