Live blade

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Alansmurf, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

How many people out there use live blade in training or gradings ?

there are pro's and con's ...discussion welcome .

a clip for thought

http://www.wimp.com/sword/

Smurf

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Anybody who trains with a live blade for partnerwork, and doesn't have a scar collection that an Igor would find enviable is lying to themselves about their training.

Even the FMA guys whose SPECIALTY is blades, don't do it.

Training with live blades with a partner is an accident waiting to happen, and if your not getting stabbed then your partner isn't trying hard enough.

p.s There are easier ways to investigate A & E waiting times.

3. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

There are smarter ways to see if your knife defenses work than a live blade. Try a Sharkee or other marking knife. There's a little more room for error in the event you haven't quite got the technique.

The guy with the sword is pretty dumb, in "not quite ready for the Darwin Awards" way.

4. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Could you elaborate on this? I can't think of any pro's at all; why not just use a marker or something?

5. Kyouretsu

Kyouretsu New Member

If you are ever in a fight where a blade is involved... you have exactly a 100% chance of being cut!! Why would you ever train with a live blade!

6. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

I agree!

7. Alansmurf

I have trained in live blade knife techniques in the past and do not teach them now ....I was asking the question to see if todays health and safety engrossed society has affected MA training or am I getting old and sensible ?

Yes I have been attacked with knives for real and been very lucky to walk away unscathed.

8. Topher

Topher allo!

What a friday night somewhere in the UK :p

Anyway, i saw some Ninja guy on that Mind, Body & Kick Ass Moves show who caught a a live Samurai sword at full speed between this hands or something :eek: He said i only done it a few times in his life.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2006
  9. fanatical

fanatical Cool crow

So what did he do the other times? Die?

10. Xoxi

Xoxi Valued Member

Well, ninjas can teleport away if they get the timing wrong.

I've seen live blades in karate and kungfu gradings, only for pre-arranged moves though. Sparring would be kinda silly.

11. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

He may of been wearing Shuko!

Didn't see that one?? Saw the one with Hatsumi Sensei but I don't remember that bit??

12. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

I sense an incoming train-wreck of argument but still I will admit that the two styles I train in use them, primarily becuase they are very scary and the best way to simulate the feelings of having to deal with a live blade is to have one being pointed at you. For working on techniques, it doesn't help, training blades, marker pens etc are better, but for the psychological side they are helpful.

Injuries, there have been a few, fairly irregularly though as everyone is generally terrified of the shiney sharp thing. It is quite interesting to see medium to high level jitsuka who have demonstratabley competent broken bottle defence completely go to peices when the plastic bottle is replaced by a real broken bottle, even when the attack is fairly slow, compared to the real bottle.

Insurance wise...one style appears to have no problem, the other style is currently in 'negotiation' with its insurers...

13. Alansmurf

I agree it does make one focus rather well when the shiny weapons are used ......
    I believe if used slowly and properly monitored they could be a useful training tool ...but not for free play or sparring .....

cheers

14. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

You guys are seriously full of it... :bang:

Having worked as a paramedic I can easily say that you're not anywhere near qualified to deal with a major bleed out from a serious laceration or stabbing. You haven't got the right gear in your first aid kits and you most likely don't have the training to deal with it efficiently and effectively and put the wounded person in immediate transport.

Your training partner could easily die right before your very eyes. Or they could live and have their kidney's fail the week following due to massive blood loss incurred even if they do manage to survive the initial incident. Or any other number of massive complications that are common with stab wounds or trauma that results in massive blood loss.

There is a reason why people who are quite literally on the front lines (the military and the police) don't train with live blades. Because the disadvantages and risks by far outweigh any possible benefits.

Alansmurf -

There are more than enough trainer knives out there are made out of metal and carry the same weight and balance as a real knife. Why would you take the risks associated with training with a live blade.

As for the benefits of it I think your training methodology is seriously flawed. Training in slow motion with a live blade will have little actual benefit or carry over to a live blade situation. Far better to train at full speed with a marking blade that had a blunt edge - there is just about every possible make of blade out there - everything from Ka-Bars to combat folders.

Like has been said before and rightly so - if you're training with a live blade and you don't get cut or stabbed... you are fooling yourself. The person wielding the blade isn't trying hard enough.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2006
  15. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Damn right.

Totally true! Whats the point in training against slow-mo, over exaggerated movements?

16. Alansmurf

As stated discussion was what I wanted .....and that is what is happening ..
    I accept the comments of those who are experts in their field ...........and I am realistic enough to know you cannot train full speed with liveblade .....I do not ...however as part of ones MA training do you do everything at full speed all the time ?
    I would hazard aguess probably not otherwise one could miss the subtleties of some techniques.....try doing wrist locks at full speed and see how much your training partner appreciates it .

discussion continues ........

my training bag has numerous wooden, rubber knives ...

17. Alansmurf

Slip ..........with respect ........never assume ....

18. fthl

fthl www.jitsu.me

we use them for the pyschological effect. This is a significatnt part of the self defence element of what we do. If we are mad, so be it. We're mad, hard, mean martial artists who will kill at the drop of a hat. Grrrr.

19. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Alansmurf,

I still fail to see that advantage of that training methodology.
    If you are focussing on technique and going at a much slower pace than a real life encounter I don't really see how the live blade has any carry over benefits... even in terms of dealing with an adrenalin stress situation.

I don't quite see how the benefit outweighs the risk.

I'm curious what sort of first aid set up you guys have prepared in case of accident and what sort of training background you have to deal with such an accident? :confused:

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Bwaaaahahahahaha!!
    I train in JJJ and I think the idea of using a live blade is completely moronic. If you're going to train knife defences, get a marker blade and up the speed. That way you can go faster, with a resisting opponent and if you screw up no one dies. The way I see it, if you mess up with a marker knife, you've gotta wash your gi, you mess up with a real knife, someone's got to stitch you back up. I can't see any serious advantages to training with a live blade at all