LINE Fighting for self defence

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by CobraMaximus, Nov 1, 2004.

1. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

It sounds mad but every year at school 5th years are taught some Basics of the LINE fighting system for self defence.

Your talking about the fighting system marines are no longer taught in the US because its too brutal...I think you see my point.

Opinions..?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

What is it? Any more info? Links?

3. CobraMaximus

Ok, the LINE fighitng system is the most dangerous and effective fighting system for combat these days. Basically it is taught to special forces and involves voracious limb breaking, stomping, elbow use and basically it is designed to cause more damage than you could imagine.
    It involves techniques that cause neural misconcentration and so on to confuse opponents and make them less effective and is in simple designed to quickly kil someone on a battle field.

It has stopped being taught to US Marines because it was too brutal even for them! They are in my school teaching the basics to 15/16 years olds

4. YODA

Sounds like a pile of Hogwash to be honest.

Which "Special Forces" is it claimed that this is taught to?

5. Adam

Adam New Member

Coupla warning signs here...

"most dangerous and effective fighting system for combat these days" -sez who?
    "cause more damage than you could imagine" -I have a vivid imagination
    "cause neural misconcentration" -How the hell do you do that? Scream really loudly at people?
    "It has stopped being taught to US Marines because it was too brutal even for them!" -so people whose job involve killing people in efficient ways aren't allowed to learn the best system for doing that? Makes no sense.
    "They are in my school teaching the basics to 15/16 years olds" -Ok, so marines think it's too nasty and brutal for them, but your school teaches the style to kids? Your school must be seriously badass :D

Got any sites with info on the style?

6. Adam

Adam New Member

I found this book on Amazon about LINE fighting. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0873648897/104-4956153-4648754?v=glance

The reviews are less than stellar. This one in particular:
    "I am a former Marine and a black belt in Shotokan karate. I was taught and taught others the LINE system while in service and even then, i knew it was ineffective. The moves, punches, countermoves and holds are impractical and difficult to execute in combat. I, along with several others, while going along with the manual, finally boiled the system down to a dozen techniques and drilled with them. The Marines discontinued this system because of the same reasons that I mentioned. "

7. sean

sean THOR!

damn it, and for a minute I though there was a Fighting Style to defeat all styles :rolleyes:

8. Adam

Adam New Member

well, there WAS, but sadly STAVIT has disappeared :(

9. CobraMaximus

I have seen the system in action and believe me on a battlefield if you went hand to hand with the guys who know this system you would be pretty screwed.
    Sorry if you are dyslexic or anything but i distinctly said US Marines, the brits still use It i believe.

Special forces, Try Marines, SEALS, SAS and Russian Spetnaz have an adpation of it.

No offence to them but a Shotokan Karate blackbelt can hardly claim to be superior to a Marine. Shotokan karate is for people who wish to practice nice controlled techniques in a controlled environment. Its the simple powerful stuf that works and I can bet a smallest 1.5m marine could probably have him down in seconds.

My point being this fighting system is brutal, effective and dangerous. Any PROPER opinions on it being taught to 15/16 year olds...?

Dont turn this into a flamefest because one man has no experience in practicing the system.

10. YODA

Rubbish.

11. CobraMaximus

Did i not say Proper Opinions on the subject...?

12. Adam

Adam New Member

It's not an opinion, it's a fact. Or do you mean "Proper Opinion" as in "opinon that agrees with me, regardless of the facts?" To say that LINE is the basis of all other Spec. Forces CQC systems is ignorant. Ask RobP about Spetznaz martial arts, which certainly aren't based on any American style.

Here's a training manual for the regular US army though, which more or less resembles submission fighting with a few strikes and doesn't claim to be too deadly for it's own good: http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-25-150/

13. YODA

When a 42 year old with 28 years practical martial arts experience comments on self defence to a 15 year old schoolboy - you can take that as a "Proper Opinion" :rolleyes:

14. Satori81

Satori81 Never Forget...

Let us get some facts straight before I write my opinion.

1. I am an ex-Marine close combat instructor.
    2. I studied and taught LINE training and MCMAP.
    3. MCMAP (Marine Corps Martial Arts Program) replaced LINE (Linear Involuntary Neurological overide Engagement) for a reason...and Marines aren't allowed to use anything LESS than what is deemed OPTIMALLY BRUTAL.

-LINE training isn't useless or without merit. It is, however, highly inflexible and depends upon predetermined "locked" techniques in order to execute. There is no fluidity or adaptability. In addition, the ground aspect is almost completely absent from this close-combat form. In response to a grounded opponent, the manual mostly reads "...execute [high] axe kick to the skull in order to end the encounter."

-MCMAP is a culmination of LINE and other forms of martial arts. Most of the "pre-determined" techniques are replaced with basics (punches, chops, knees, etc...) that are then drilled, then practiced with live sparring. "Pre-set" techniques are usually reserved for specific, dangerous situations. Examples include "Gun to back", "When mounted by a knife wielder", and "Gun to face". In addition, MCMAP includes a number of aspects from other arts, including BJJ ground fighting/submission, Muay Thai "Body Hardening", Aikido "Pain Compliance", and Chin Na "Muscular/Vital Rending".

Does this mean that LINE training is a foolish pursuit that only brain-dead hamsters would pursue? Absolutely not. The techniques are brutal, simple, and practical. The stances are natural, and the entire system promotes aggressiveness and defensive hostility. The practitioner is also keeping a portion of U.S. military history alive in practicing such a classic close-combat system.

The LINE system is a method of self-defense, but it isn't THE method of self-defense.

If you do find THE method of self-defense, please let me know.

May you achieve
    Satori

15. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

This is like a dog looking at a gourmet chef and thinking 'why throw food into fire?'.

16. CobraMaximus

When I say proper opinion I mean an opinion that adds to the discussion and builds it rather than a biased flame or likewise.

The LINE fighting system is not a style to beat all styles but its certainly a perfect method to learn how to be dangerously effective.
    Look at a Marine Close Quarters Manual on amazon and look at the comments from war veterans. Its not exactly designed to be a kind martial arts system.

Now back to the topic of it getting taught to High school ppl...

17. YODA

:D Thanks for that :D

So - all those Special Forces guys from the various global units maybe don't swear by this stuff after all huh? I'm shocked :D

18. YODA

Who's teaching it and under what authority?

19. CobraMaximus

Who is teaching it: Marine Vets, the one who guard the Nuclear Deterrant at Faslane Naval base and who have had action around the place.

Authority: Schools...? Im not sure who authorizes it but every year marines come to our school and teaches the 5th year this stuff.

Btw, Satori thanks for your info there, appreciated.

20. cxw

cxw Valued Member

Is this LINE system completely watered down? There's a lot of stuff taught properly which is useful - but is then watered down to be sellable to the middle classes. Is there sparring during this school course? If so how light/heavy is the sparring?