Learning to take punches

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Paul Genge, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

The following is an article on Systema's approach to taking strikes. It includes a short video clip that shows the progression of some of the drills used to learn this kind of work.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Ars Northwest

2. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Wow I like that article thanks for posting Paul :D
    I didn't know that you could go so deep into the mechanics and emotions of taking punches.

Thanks
    -Mike-

3. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Great article!

Small bug near the end of page two: " For a clip showing the basic progression of these drills click here." - there's no link there.

4. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Sorry,

The computer and I do not always get on. I have reloaded that page and the clip is now on it.

Thanks for telling me.

Paul Genge

5. Joseph5

Joseph5 New Member

That was interesting. However the clip only showed body shots. I wonder how these guys would stand up to catching blows to the head, using the same technique?

6. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

As I explained in the article the approach to head shots is different. If you get hit on the jaw you allow your head to tilt so that the shot slides off. As for hits to other parts of the head by being relaxed you can lesson the effect they have, but you may still get knocked out or stunned by it. After all this is not magic we are practicing, just martial arts.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest

7. CosmicFish

Looks pretty good, although the punches didn't look all that strong (am I being naive here?) Do you ever practise with particularly strong punches?

Also, do you drill many blocks in systema? How do you incorporate your punch-taking with your blocks?

8. brimbleboy

brimbleboy Valued Member

n nah..

u dont need nun of this systema stuff... u just need 2 stand ur ground and take it like a man :woo:

9. Lithanwif

Lithanwif Human Punchbag

A bruised and battered man?

10. RobP

RobP Valued Member

"Do you ever practise with particularly strong punches?"

Yes - though punches can often feel harder than they look

"Also, do you drill many blocks in systema? How do you incorporate your punch-taking with your blocks?"

We don't really aim to block as such, more use movement and / or deflection or attacking the punching arm.

"A bruised and battered man?" Actually once you have the method down there are suprisingly few bruises.

There's also some strike-taking work on this clip:
    http://www.systemauk.com/video/NBLIN.WMV

cheers
    Rob

11. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

The person doing the punching is Peter Martin. You can see his full martial arts background on my testimonials page :) . As you can see this included two years western and Muay Thai boxing. For your information he endended hurting his fists during the demo due to how hard he was hitting.

As far as bruising is concerned the body seems to reset the level it bruises at. Taking a few shots like that does not leave me with visable bruises anymore.

Paul Genge
    Russian Martial Arts Northwest

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Just to back up what Paul has said;

The punches are a bit deceptive they may not look it becuase of how they are delivered but trust me they are hard. :eek:

I still get the odd bruise cuz I'm still working on taking strikes but yep I agree with Paul you don't tend to get many, may get redness of the skin from the contact but very little bruising.

13. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Peter was not told to hit a specific way for the demo. He was just told to hit as hard as he can.

Paul Genge

14. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

What so you can just get battered lol

15. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

Only way to learn I am afraid. Unless you want the lesson to happen when you get into a real fight.

Paul Genge

16. JinkokMike

JinkokMike New Member

Fair enough Paul.

17. CosmicFish

Thanks for the replies Paul / Rob / spooky. I've been curious about Systema for a while but, realistically, I shouldn't try it out right now as I have far too much else going on in my life! :cry:

Just for future reference though - could you recommend any classes in West London?

18. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

19. gray fox

gray fox Valued Member

Like other martial arts that practise conditioning, they proably build their way up?

20. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

:D You just have to watch out for the Cossack Whip!!!

Left marks for a week that did :eek: :cry: