Le Canne - Walking Stick Self Defence

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Punchy, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Does anyone know of good sources of information on the use of the cane (walking stick) for self defence? I understand it was taught with Savate and was widely practiced as a form of self defence in England and France in the 19th century.

2. Screwi

Screwi New Member

3. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Do a Google search and contact Cane Masters..GM Shuey's stuff is REAL and his canes are beautiful...

4. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Caned!

Search through the files of the Journal of Western MA, you'll find lots of cane material within!
    http://ejmas.com/jwma/

Louie

5. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Thanks Guys. Good stuff.

6. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

FYI - I have just found a Western Martial Arts group in Sydney called Stoccata who teach Le Canne as well as other weapons such as rapier. I am organising my first lessons now.

7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Check out this Journal of Asian Martial Arts issue, it is specifically on the French Cane system and the author ties it in nicely with other cane arts. Highly recommended for anyone interested in the cane.

8. Guizzy

Guizzy with Arnaud and Eustache

This might seem nitpicky, but it's incorrect to say "Le Canne".

French differenciate between masculine and feminine in common words, so it's "La Canne". :D

9. M Lambert

M Lambert Fitness Consultant

Walking sticks are fun... got one somewhere with a sword blade inside it :D that'd be excellent for defence :D lmao.

10. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

Le Canne-Walking Stick Self Defense

Me too...Got at at a flea market many years ago..Can't get them on an airplane anymore, however they don't look twice at a walking stick or a cane..

11. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

12. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

First Lesson

I went to my first stick self defence lesson yesterday. It is based on nineteenth century methods developped by some of the authors people mentioned on this thread. The instructor seems to have done a lot of research and to really know his stuff.

It was better than I have expected and so I will keep going with the lessons.

Thanks for the advice guys! :)

13. Louie

Cane-d

Hi Punchy

Glad we've been of some help!!

I'm currently assisting an actor who'se playing the Sherlock Holmes character, introducing him to cane-singlestick techniques & unarmed combat of the 1800's. Great Fun!! :rolleyes:

Louie

14. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Are you showing him Baritsu?

15. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

Apart from cane and bare knuckle boxing, what other self defence arts were practiced in the 1800's?

16. Louie

Baritsu

In all but name, cdronin....

The main element of training will be singlestick fencing with some bare-knuckle-boxing techniques & some cross-buttock throws, also a few 'old style' Savate kicks/sweeps.

Personally I'd like to see Sherlock using an Irish 'Bata' blackthorn walking stick which can be weilded in both the traditional club style and in the Fencing singlestick style!

To answer your question Punchy....
    French Savate Kick-Boxing, numerous folk-styles of wrestling, full-contact quaterstaff & stickfighting and Judo was also being introduced in the Uk in the late 1800's.

Louie

17. cdnronin

cdnronin Valued Member

Interesting, although the Vigny style cane work would be really cool on stage.
    Minor point, it was jiu jitsu, not judo that would have been introduced into England in the 1800's. As Barton-Wright is generally credited as being the first to introduce the arts to the British public. There is some debate of how much of Yukio Tani's art was Fusen-ryu, or Tenshin-ryu, there is no doubt of Uyenishi being of the Tenshin-ryu school(see Apollo's Jiu Jitsu What It Really Is 1906).

18. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

A back issue of australasian blitz magazine i think the year 2005, 2004.

19. Punchy

Punchy Purely Practical

TMAs & Weapon Forms

I have been doing cane self-defence for a few weeks now and a number of the other people are doing other Western MAs as well (eg Highland Broadsword etc). I have been struck by how unarmed TMAs such as karate, bare knuckle boxing etc seem to have so many stances and movements in common with the weapon combat arts.

I wonder why?

I suppose the weapon forms came first and people used weapons as their preferred method of defence. The unarmed combat would then be based on stances and movements that would be kept as close to the weapon form as possible so that, when disarmed and forced to fight unarmed, the practitioner would not have to change too much. If you learned one set of stances and movements you didn't want to learn a new lot just for unarmed combat (which would be secondary to the preferred weapon based combat systems).

What do you think?

20. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Barton-Wright trained in Tenshin-Shinyo Ryu, Shinden-Fudo Ryu, and Kano JuJitsu/early Kododan Judo while in Japan.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk