Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

You could try, but the triads will stop your supply of seagull breasts for your local restaurants of special curryk out of respect for Chef Yau.
    #You will die of Burger King poisoning.

Chef Yau has

A Shify eyes

B An insect problem off camera

C difficulty facing the camera

2. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

What's the technique called at 1:26. It looks to be a double phoenix eye and kinda bak mei'ish in a way. Interesting.
    I still think there is some kinda hakka influence in there. More so than typical Southern Siu Lam at times.

3. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I don't know the correct term for the technique but it is phoenix eye. The entire form is practiced using phoenix eye.

4. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

That is a section of a form called Charp Choi/Drilling Punches

5. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

yup, its whole form is made up of short phoneix strikes, deflections and attacks! in the vid he changes it slightly from the normal routine but he's only showing the people at home the system, so before anyone says he's doing it wrong he's not. Its intentional!

If you notice too, the phoenix rears its little pointy head in other forms he does too! He take a seciotn of Lau Gar Luk Hap Kuen and its there whereas normally its a flat fist. Also its in Far Kuen too!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  6. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

yes it is, that double phoenix strike is one of the last things you do in the Charp Choi form before finishing.

7. laugarfist

I think master Yau is Hakka

8. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Yeah I seem to remember reading that before on some older Lau threads here.
    That would explain the influence.

9. BigWren

BigWren New Member

Just joined the forum and read the comments.
    Didn't the fella (Yau) talk about the teaching and the way we teach it. In that case, then we should understand that if he teaches it one way then we all should teach it ours. From here, it will enrich the style for what it was invented for. If not, it becomes like many conveyor-belt styles that we see today in the UK. None of my friends execute their martial arts exactly like me, although we are all trying to do it our best ability. I do not think anything less of my friends but share the experience of their achievements if they reach a higher standard.

10. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Lol @ The fella :D

11. BigWren

BigWren New Member

Fella

Is he not a fella?
    Sorry, he looks like one?
    What do you mean?

12. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

That "fella" is Master Yau, the inventor of the system. It just sounded funny to hear him referred to as simply "the fella". A bit like referring to the Queen as "that old dear" or something (not that Yau is on a par with our great monarch, gawd bless 'er).

13. SpikeD

Ahem surely you mean 'alleged inventor'; and you don't seriously think the queen would beat Master Yau?:rolleyes: I know she's good but .....

14. Jamesm

Jamesm Outraged

I have it on good authority that HRH is a BJJ purple belt under the Duke Of Edinburgh. Aparrently, her butterfly guard game is a joy to behold.

15. BigWren

BigWren New Member

Sounds like chinese whispers. Before you know it, things get out of context and the point is lost! Is he a normal person?

16. laugarfist

What the Duke Of Edinburgh?

Define normal.

:D

17. SpikeD

Surely you mean far eastern whispers.
    Nothing is ever taken out of context on a lau gar thread, It usually starts out of context and gets progressively further out as time goes by.:rolleyes:

Anyway whats the Duke of endinburgh got to do with anything, of course he's not normal, just look at him FFS. :banana:

18. laugarfist

So who has seen the new White and Blue sash syllabus DVD?

I've got it but havn't had a chance to watch it properly yet. And no I won't be posting it, if you want it then buy it.

19. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

When did it come out?

Is this the 'official' BKFA one?

Oh and who is in it?

Thanks Mr Laugarfist :)

20. BigWren

BigWren New Member

I've got lots of LAU GAR video/DVD footage. BKFA and non-BKFA. Some better than others. I would not be too set in your ways to just want BKFA stuff and they are not always worth watching let alone buying.