Lau Gar Video Thread

Discussion in 'Kung Fu Resources' started by Banditshaw, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Well you are threatening. It's 'intimidating the argument'. In what way would telling me to not discuss it on the net, but go to Steve Burton's class where he's surrounded by a team of blokes all of whom are probably very upset with me, not be an attempt to threaten me?

See, it's not a direct threat like 'I'll beat you up' - it's not about that - it's about 'intimidating the argument' - attempting to set up a principle whereby no one dares question anything because if they do, they'll have to place themselves in a dangerous or intimidating situation.

That is simply outrageous. Steve Burton's claims are publicly made on the internet -but, just like Jeremy Yau, he isn't prepared to explain the circumstances and background of those claims.

Now you're trying to make that about me - you're saying rude things about me. I take it, because it's a war of perceptions. You try and make me look bad to hide the bad things you've done. Of course I look bad -I look terrible - I look like a troll, a coward, a fool - and you do your best to encourage that perception of me. But behind it all, you're the one who is caught out pretending to be a san da instructor,and you're the one who doesn't really have even basic taiji skills but never the less teaches taiji, and you're the one who probably doesn't even have any qualification in Chinese martial arts at all - because aside from taiji, you haven't even trained in Chinese martial arts.

Steve Burton is the one who has maniulated public percpetions to make it seem like he's got a very high qualification in PR China san da - a highly respected skill set.

No wonder you want to threaten me, intimidate me.

But don't ever think I am actually intimidated by you. I stand for a principle - regardless of who a person is, or whether they do martial arts well - ANYONE can question what they feelto be wrong, and EVERYONE has a right to do that safely, without being expected to put themselves in a harmful situation.

Besides, I've trained with you - what did that establish about Lau Gar? Nothing - except that it isn't san da.

2. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

All this BS about threats is ludicrous. Gung Fu is about fighting not waffling on and on on a Internet Forum.
    If someone questions the validity of an art the only way to settle it is by touching hands and feeling someone else's intent.

Inviting someone down to touch hands in my eyes is not a threat but an invitation to exchange knowledge. This is the way it has been done for many years in Gung Fu. Just ask the old timers...they will not care if you can talk the talk...they are more impressed if you can walk the walk.

3. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I'm sorry, but I think you are confusing the issue. How would having a fight help prove a lineage? It might prove the UK lau gar is effective in a fight, but that is all.

4. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

What about the people who aren't able to fight? What about a mother, looking to send her child to a real, reputable san da class? Does she have to go and fight as well, to see if it's real?

I'd bet money I've trained with more people, from more varied styles, than almost anyone on this board. It's nothing to do with who walks the walk - only liars and bullies want it like that - where they can beat people in to believing what they say.

Take your macho BS and go home in shame, where you belong.

5. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

I see what you are referring to as for the lineage. I am just responding to the paranoia that seems to be rampant in FQ's drivel.

I don't think anyone wants to beat him up...just have a friendly talk.

Touching hands doesn't have to be all out violence it can be more subtle.

6. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Fq will just read that as go fight Steven.

ps - PM Ain't ever gonna happen that Fq asked for. He's delirious if he thinks he has anything to offer me. He has some skill but I would never train with anyone with such a closed minded attitude.

7. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

My bad... i'm all about the lineage me!

8. laugarfist

laugarfist New Member Supporter

Tart's the original lineage whore :evil:

He has a family tree plotted out for his pet goldfish. :D

9. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Classic.

10. ndabaningi

ndabaningi Valued Member

I've lost my appetite completely for this Kung Fu forum. Many of the rantings over the last few days (whether well intended or otherwise) have been both deplorable and boring. I no longer wish to subscribe to postings that with almost calculable precision end up with either slanging matches or insulting behaviour; or both. Sometimes its simply wise to 'let things be'. Ta Da, Ndabaningi is finished and out here.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  11. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

You know I want to apologise for going off topic and I really didn't mean to derail the thread anymore than it has.

So to all the Lau Gar peeps, my bad.

Now what about those vids?

12. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

Forget about it. This thread has been dead since about the third page with regards to Lau Gar videos.

There are only 3 full BKFA videos on the net, and a bunch of non-bkfa ones.

All the non-BKFA ones get slated as "not being real lau gar" and any critisism of the performance is always down to the fact it's "not real lau gar" despite the fact it's clear to any idiot the forms are identical.
    On the flip side the BKFA forms are either non-existent, or only tiny fragments. Any that are put up get pulled to bits and the excuse for them looking naff is always "but that's not how the REAL BKFA forms look" despite the fact they are performed by high-grade members.

No-one ever says "oh actually, maybe it's rubbish with no power and no intention because that's the way it is taught" be it BKFA, or non-BKFA.

You'll be lucky. I only know of one decent set of recording of BKFA forms, and that person has very sensibly kept them private.

Even I got bored of it long ago. I would post vids of me doing all the forms, but i don't have a decent camera and I can't be bothered with it anymore. I guess i must be reasonable at forms as I have one (silver) in a forms competition before.

13. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

I can't do subtle.

14. Banditshaw

Banditshaw El Bandido

Here's some food for thought.
    What would you say is THE fundamental set that encompasses or at least honours the UK Lau system? And why not tape that set as a benchmark?

15. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Tiger crane?? err no!!!! sh1t!!!............................... lol!

Joking of course.

Personally I think you have to look at the last 2

Lau Gar Luk Hap Kuen
    or
    Bac Pye Jurn

the reason I think this is from the first time I saw them done by my sifu years ago, I was prob a white sash or lower back then but I thought "bloody hell, I cant wait to be able to do that" they are very nice forms when done great! So great that im currently working on both to bring them back up to scratch again!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  16. Switch2

Switch2 Banned Banned

You've asked before, but I don't know who you are either,
    Not my agenda, but yours it would seem.

{monty python accent} Run Away{/monty python accent}

BKFA Lau Gar is a pile of *****!
    Anyone with the guts or ability to dispute that kindly step up to bat and have their information in order!

17. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

Excellent, my second chance at my new Lau Gar argument response tactic:

*Massive Drum Roll*

Meh.

18. WotEvaYuKanDo

WotEvaYuKanDo Valued Member

Yau video

Hey, did we discuss the quality of form displayed in this video yet?

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Onk2vVis80U[/ame]

19. Tartovski

Tartovski Valued Member

I agree with Mr. O.
    The sets we learn for brown and black sash (lau gar lap hup kuen & Bac pye jurn) are probably the best ones to look at.

Both have been posted here, as done by BKFA members and both have been slated. The Bac Pye Jurn is the one recently on here by a black sash student under Alex BArrowman (a Lau guardian) which everyone says is awful.
    The Lau gar lap hup kuen was performed by a brown sash (i think) in a wood, and i think the best comment it got was "isn't that kempo?"

20. Mr. O

Mr. O Valued Member

tarty, not being picky, but its Lau Gar LUK Hup Kuen - the LUK is 6!! Not LAP thats not the way you say 6 in cantonese. FYI n all that! :D

oh its its pronounced in a low-mid tone too! I know it sounds like it could be LAP but this is where peeps will satrt saying the number wrong! (eventually)

am I being pedantic enough?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2008