Larry Hartsell Interview

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by jkdberlin, Nov 4, 2006.

1. jkdberlin

jkdberlin Valued Member

2. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

Cool,

I haven't seen Sifu Larry in years...

When I think of him, I think of black & tan's and pain.. LOL!

Thanks!

Best,

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Larry Hartsell is one of the Good Guys.

I wish him the best.

Regards, Gary

4. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

Cool link :)

5. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

Larry is definately one of the good guys.... and he can definately dish out some pain. :)

I was glad that someone finally pointed out the fact that Larry has been doing MMA and grappling long before anyone in the U.S. ever heard of BJJ...

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

I was glad that someone finally pointed out the fact that Larry has been doing MMA and grappling long before anyone in the U.S. ever heard of BJJ...

You bet he has, he is a friend and student of Gene LeBell and Gokor (Sambo champ). He is even older than I am LOL...

Gary

7. Koyoku

Koyoku I enjoy pudding!

It is so true!

I can personally remember seminars in the 80's with him and we did all sorts of grappling including on the ground. His big thing was entering-trapping-grappling.

His feeling is different (I should say was different I haven't actually worked with him since about 1992 :( ) Gracies were "softer" for lack of a better term, Sifu hartsell was like fighting a grizzly bear! Not to say that he was not "sophisticated" in his movement, but he had plenty of "emotional content"! LOL!

Good times...

8. Tim McFatridge

Tim McFatridge Valued Member

Well Koyoku... he hasn't changed. I have trained with him since 1993 and you are right in saying that he is like a grizzly bear...I would only ad that he is like a grizzly bear with finess. He is all over you when it comes time to touch hands...but he does have finess and is able to put you in any position he wants you in. Also, his stick and knife work is phenominal as well. He has the same mentality with the stick and knife that he does with his grappling.

Train Hard, Train Smart...