Lack of tradition: need YOUR help!

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by MuayKiDo, Jul 21, 2005.

1. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Greetings to everyone viewing this thread.
    I have been training thai boxing for some time now, but in a very westernized gym.
    We don't learn thai names for techniques, the gym doesn't have a mongkon and we don't learn ram muay or a wai kru. I guess this is because here in Holland, most amateur and pro bouts are fought in westernized rules (no elbowing).

That being said, I DO want to learn traditional muay thai. Me and one of my trainers are the only ones that actually own prajiat. The trainer, however doesn't even know that the cords are called 'prajiat' in thai, let alone their purpose/history.

Since I will be leaving home soon, I will have to look for an new gym. I'll try to find a more traditional one, but chances of succes are small in Holland. My questions for all thai boxers/kru's:

*Where can I find an online Ram Muay tutorial?
    *Is it ok to create a Wai kru on my own, so that I can honour my teacher properly? If yes, what should I start with?

I did use the search function on the forum and even google, but couldn't find anything usefull.

(I am also planning to visit thailand next year and train thai style for at least one month. But that's one year from now, so any help for my personal training until then would be welcome!)

2. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

It's good that you want to honour your teacher but the Wai Kru is something that your gym is meant to have, and usually you create a new Wai Kru when you become an Instructer and wish to have a Wai Kru for your gym.

I'm lucky that my instructer respects tradition and when we fight we wear a monkon going into the ring and we have to at least do the wai kru before the fight though eveyone does the ram muay as well.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

really its up to your coach. some gyms simply dont do the wai kru and ram muay. Our gym has one but we reserve it for actual muay thai fights (Shane Chapman has a very cool Ram Muay) I guess if it is very important to you, you could seek another gym. but I really think the quality of the training is a lot more important.

4. itchyfeet

itchyfeet Valued Member

At our gym we do the Ram Muay as well as other traditional elements such as Boran and even Thai meditation.

My previous gym was exactly like how Muaykido described - westernised, but the fight training was still good.

Muay Thai is more than just kickboxing with knees and elbows, so if this describes your camp, then consider looking somewhere else that does teach traditional Muay. However, if it's just the fact that they don't do Ram Muay or know what a prajiat is - does it matter that much?

5. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Well, we do learn how to fight well. I wouldn't want to change my teacher, he's great.
    But I also want to learn and practise more traditional muay thai. Since it is not ok to make your own wai kru as a student, my best option would be to keep training and visit thailand next year.
    Then, I can incorporate traditional muay thai into my training shedule.

No comments on the Ram Muay?

6. FlashyBallz

FlashyBallz New Member

I know the dutch book "Thaiboksen" by Kru Tony Moore, is about the traditions, rituals (Wai Kru/Ram Muay), techniques and traditional techniques (with original names) of thaiboxing. Don't know if you know that book.

I don't know any internet site with information about Ram Muay on it though.

7. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

8. cityofangels

cityofangels New Member

ive learnt ram muay several times at several different gyms.... but ive also trained at gyms where it wasn't taught.... alot of gyms share common movements, suprisingly noone has tried to integrate saturday night fever....

i have a book at home with all the traditional thai names for techniques.... im sure singto will be able to tell you more accurately, but off the top of my head.... maad is fist, tow is foot, koaw is knee and sok is elbow.... cherngmuay refers to their involvement and practice in muay thai.... teep is a front kick.... and the list goes on.

9. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Thank you for the link, Singto. Now I have some reference material.

Next question: Ir there is special type of music to play during the Wai kru and/or Ram Muay? I already have the music for fighting rounds 1 through 5, but I suspect that there is a special traditional melody for wai kru and ram muay ceremonies.
    Any advice on this one?

10. duderanch182

duderanch182 Bored Thaiboxer

There is a special type of music of for the Wai Kru Ram Muay, it sounds very similar to the fight music played during thaiboxing fights.

11. Noi

Noi New Member

The music is at a slower tempo for the Ram Muay usually.

12. Singto Laaw

Singto Laaw Strictly Muay Thai

There rounds and the Wai Kru/Ram Muay music can be found at the bottom of this page: http://www.singto.co.uk/Links/Links Page.htm

I have also found (strangley) that it can be done to Garage music :eek: