Kuk Sool Won Ireland

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by psbn matt, Aug 3, 2009.

1. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

here are a couple of pics from my recent kuk sool demo in Ireland.

photo's taken by Noreen o'callaghan
    www.noreenocallaghan.com

Attached Files:

2. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Hi Sir,

Pretty cool.

Where in Ireland was the demo, and is there, or will there be, a school open there? I ask as I have many relatives over there still, and go home to visist sometimes. It would be nice to train there when I was over!

Cheers Sir

3. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Good job he tilted his head back just in time Matt! ;)

4. Out-to-Lunch

Out-to-Lunch Valued Member

Brilliant!

5. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Awesome!

PSBN Matt 1, Salad Shooter 0

6. psbn matt

Quozl, i hope to be opening up the 1st kuk sool school in Ireland in ballinspittle, just outside of kinsale, Co Cork next year.

thx for the comments on the pics too guys :D

7. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Thats excellent Sir.

I wish you all the very best with the school. It is a beautiful part of the world.

As for the cucumber in the second photo', the best thing you could do was to decapitate it! Awesome way to achieve it!

All the best.

8. psbn matt

finally made a little vid of my trip to ireland

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpNuivHNpbs"]YouTube - bromley boys do ireland[/ame]

9. KIWEST

KIWEST Revalued Mapper

Looks like you had fun over there Matt.
    Good luck with the new school.

10. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I've always wanted to visit the "mother-land"!

11. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

you could add this kind of thing to your repertoire Liam

Anything in there to learn?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d43qH9w5Dow"]YouTube - Irish Stick Fighting (Online Lesson 1) Glen Doyle Shillelagh[/ame]

12. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

nice vid matt, good luck with the new school!

13. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

That wasn't a slight at me was it?

The stick fighting didn't seen too interesting to me. With in-depth training with the sword...to include blocking, parrying, slashing, cutting...etc., you could accomplish the same thing...just by replacing the sword with a stick...or "Shillelagh". IMO.

Additionally, I didn't care for the exagerated lifting of the heel when striking. I understand an appreciate hip rotation when striking, but his seemed abit too unbalanced - especially for a real fight - I foresee a bad ankle injury if rushed and tackled. Again, IMO.

14. Demdike

Demdike Banned Banned

No, not a slight at all to you or anyone

Just meant as a a joke. Sorry if it didn't appear that way - no insult intended at all. Sorry

15. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

no problem at all, apology accepted!

16. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

The heel lift isn't the problem - Boxers do it all the time - but the over-rotation onto the outside of the foot is. Holding the stick with both hands across the chest is quite a good ploy as you don't give away which hand you are going to strike with. You can also 'load' the stick so that it flies out towards the target at greater speed. Is it (the 'system') as good as Kali / Eskrima? Not in my personal opinion!

17. Quozl

Quozl Valued Member

Nice vid Matt. I wish you all the best over there. Looking forward to coming over (PG) one day, and training on those cliffs!

Hey Ki Power. Don't knock it 'till you try it Good Buddy! The Irish Blackthorn has broken many the head in it's time. So it ain't as cute as a sword, and all, but they didn't have swords ... well, not after the C17th! / C18th (never stopped us though, always had a pike or two and the general desire to rebel!!!). Still, in street fighting the old Shillelagh has done a good job in its time.

Maybe Matt can work out a Kuk Sool Staff / Short Staff / Sword / something for it! (Keeping it all Kuk Sool of course 'cos it wouldn't do to do anything other than KSW! and I am not advovcating that!! :hat::whistle:).

18. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Yeah...that is what I was looking at...

Just a bit in a rush and couldn't get it all typed out.

19. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Oh, I'm not Knocking it at all...!

Fo all I know, that guy could split my head in two...after he gets past my hand grenades! :fight3:

20. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Personally, I don't think that the guy does that "over-rotation" at full speed. He just does it to have better balance (similar to a stretching pose) when demonstrating to come off the heel. I once knew a boxing coach who did something similar when illustrating the exact same thing. FWIW.