Kuk Sool Checkin

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Wolf, Apr 11, 2005.

1. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Lighten up, Miss Starsong, I wasn't trying to stir up anything, or suggest you were taught inadequately. Still, there are many new KSW black belts who were NOT involved in special classes as colored belts (like yourself), who merely get breezed through the sword meditations in order to learn the form (mainly so a school can enter more BBs in a competition, boosting their chances of placing in the awards for top schools). Remember that only the staff spinning is a competition event (for brown belt & DBN), but the cutting meditation movements for sword aren't.

2. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

we don't generally start sword work until JKN but we do start with the sword meditations first. not for a set time though, SBN will teach the form when he feels the student is ready.

also, as it happens we do have a seperate weapons class for coloured belts, we start with jool bong at red belt and staff at brown. i will note that i originally learned the 18 dan bong movements at blue belt (with a different instructor) though it was only later on that i realised it had a specific place in the syllabus.

and completely off topic. my housemate has got his girlfriend round at the mo, and his bed is very squeeky!! :happy:

3. Dragonkarma

Dragonkarma Valued Member

weapons training

All instructors should teach the weapons which are in the curriculum at their proper spot and not rush through the teaching process. Being correct is the most important thing.

That being said, new students are not that skilled and may need to pick something up to protect themselves.

In my class, I teach weapons at EVERY belt level.

White- 10 staff techniques ( most common and findable )
    Yellow- 10 walking stick techniques ( straight stick, not cane)
    Blue- 10 double stick techniques ( short , like escrima sticks )
    Red- chucks
    using the don bong to hit mek chi ki and mek cha ki points
    Brown- don bong hyung ( official version taught to all on seminar tour )
    techniques for knife fighting ( cuts & covers )

Black/brn- the normal KSW curriculum: Bong doliki (15)
    Ki Bon Gum ( 6 )

4. unknown-KJN

This sub-current is taking this important n00b friendly thread off topic.

Please see the new thread I've started here.

5. primal_geek

primal_geek New Member

Hi, Gary from Livingston here!

After reading all the posts for the past year or so and finally posting my first reply, I thought I'd better introduce myself :)

6. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome Aboard, Gary!

7. psbn matt

psbn matt great sage = of heaven

hi Gary, tell john he smells :D

8. primal_geek

primal_geek New Member

if I tell him I was just passing on a message I'm sure he wont give me too many press ups :cool:

9. otherbrother

otherbrother Valued Member

Hello everybody

otherbrother here,
    based in the middle of this country.
    been hanging out on MAP for a while and finally decided to sign up.
    makes things so much easier.

10. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome aboard Bro!

11. Unjeesunsu

Unjeesunsu Valued Member

Hi brother,
    Had to giggle about your Avitar.
    Welcome to MAP.

Unjee

12. mrchopstix

mrchopstix New Member

Hi everyone,

By way of a quick introduction, I am new to Kuk Sool, having come back to martial arts after a 4 year layoff (had a serious training injury that took a bunch of rehab, training and time to deal with). I'm still getting used to training in a uniform rather than shorts and a rash guard. I'm very much enjoying the collegiality and community of the dojang. Still trying to figure out how all the bits (at least the few bits that I've seen) fit together, but its been very interesting so far. Look forward to getting to know y'all better.

13. unknown-KJN

Howdy, chopstix. I'd have known where you were from even if you didn't list it in your bio, especially (and specifically) because you used the word (or rather the contraction), "y'all" (yeah, I know it's a "southernism" but its continued usage seems to more prominent in TX).

Welcome aboard. :cool:

14. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome Aboard mrchopstix! A BJJ guy in Kuk Sool there goes the neighborhood:evil: Just kidding of course, are you with a "Won" or a "Non Won" school?

15. mrchopstix

mrchopstix New Member

Thanks guys. I'm afraid "BJJ guy" is probably stretching it a bit -- my enthusiasm far outstripped my skill. I'll try not to lower property values too much :)

16. shimajiro

shimajiro Valued Member

Best avatar I have seen yet

17. Confucianist

Confucianist Valued Member

So my first class was the 27th of April and now on Thursday I take my yellow belt test.

How time flies.

Still loving it and can't believe how much I've learned in nearly 4 months, nor that it has been nearly 4 months!

15 techniques, 6 forms and the kicks and strikes and falls as well a bit of staff work and of course meditation and breathing.

Brilliant. If anyone is reading this and wants to take up KSW just do it!

Again for anyone who might be thinking of learning, this is what I have picked up in less than 4 months from 2 classes a week.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1424165/ki_cho_hyung_fundamental_form/

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT8K459yzp4"]Kuk Sool Won Ki Bon Su - Gene Gause #19 - YouTube[/ame]

18. drewsif

drewsif Valued Member

Drew here. Been studying for about four years in Texas.

19. unknown-KJN

Welcome to Map, drew!

20. drewsif

drewsif Valued Member

Why, thank you, sir. :)