kubotan

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by nicolo, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

ever try'ed actually hitting something with the key's attached???

Try'ed it once on a bag for a laff, ended up with the key's ripping my knuckles to bit's :-(

2. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

-----

KickChick....YES I know you can jab with the Kubotan...but I meant for flailing strikes, it's more damaging with the keys.
    Aluminum sticks hurt too...but they set off metal detectors.

3. Joe karate

Joe karate New Member

I can't see using a kubotan because i'm not familiar with it. I would feel more comfortable with my hands....or my pepper spray!!

4. teacher

teacher Valued Member

Re. legality elhiggito is in Scotland where as i believe the object can be defined as an offensive weapon if it is used as a weapon. E.G. carrying a bottle of milk is legal but if you hit someone with it you could be accused of using the bottle as an offensive weapon. The best defence is a witness that saw the other guy start it but remember the procurator may then ask if your response was appropriate couldnt you with your martial arts skills have defended yourself without a weapon?

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Scenario:

Mr Policeman: ello ello ello - what 'ave we got 'ere then? Man on floor out for the count - what happened son?

You: He attacked me officer so I hit him in the temple with my keyring. It was in self defence.

Mr Policeman: Let me have a look at that keyring sonny. Well looky here this looks like an offensive weapon to me.

You: No no you've got it all wrong. It isn't a weapon I just have it on my keys to stop me losing them.

Mr Policeman: Ah I see - it's not a weapon then? Where did you buy it from?

You: A martial arts shop / website.

Mr Policeman: You're nicked!

Simplified version --- these are sold by martial arts shops - try convincing a jury it's not a weapon.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Realistically, you can use anything as a weapon for self defense so chances are you will be charged with carrying what would be deemed an offensive weapon anyway…

.... so as Joe karate posted you can just use your hands (or feet) until of course unarmed self defense becomes illegal.

7. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Yep,
    They are a Bona Fide weapon in the UK. Unfortunately, I can attest to that because I was done for carrying one years ago, even though it was just in my pocket and we got stopped and searched by the Police on a cold Sunday morning after going to an all-night party. Going Equipped was the charge (To commit Bodily harm etc)...

How about a walking stick?-although if you are young and healthy The Police may think that you are 'trying it on' and arrest you anyway. And of course you can't put in your pocket unless you wear Clown Trousers...

8. Darkflight

Darkflight New Member

SoKKlab, if you don't mind me asking, what was the outcome?

As for a walking stick, you would need to prove it was to aid you walking. Going out hiking - fine. Going down the pub - trouble.

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Many hikers take a stick with them if they're young and healthy. It's just a useful thing to have with you in many eventualities.

10. SoKKlab

No Problem Dark Flight,
    I got a caution, as at the time the law was a bit vague on the whole matter. They were being sold in Martial Arts shops as borderline legal. As Keychains....

The Police didn't see it like that, as they consider them to be mini-truncheons/ batons etc. Which with hindsight is a fair enough POV from their position, I just wish that I'd known that at the time and I don't neccessarily agree with the legal position on them, but will comply with the law.

The only reason they didn't Fully prosecute me, was they didn't have a strong enough case under the law at the time as Kubotans were a relatively new introduction.

These days it'd be a lot different as alot of the Football Hooligans started carrying them to complement their sealed and sharpened Umbrellas.

11. SoKKlab

I got attacked by a Mountain Goat in Mid Wales and my hiking stick definitely came in handy, so did all that staff training as it was fighting mad.

It was goat Kebabs for tea for a coupla weeks in our house...

12. Scotty Dog

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

:DKebab:D

13. YODA

MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmm

:DGoat:D

14. Scotty Dog

as long as there's hot sauce :p

15. YODA

....... and cold beer :D

16. Scotty Dog

hooooo baby, sound's like we got a party :D

some one should make a rule about posting the word "kebab", seems to lead us off topic ever time :)

17. YODA

Mmmmmmmm........... Kebab

Mmmmmmm......... Friday night!

Noooooooooooo........ I will not phone THAT number

Must resiiiiiiiiiiiiiist!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2003
  18. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm quite conversant with the ole kubotan. By the by, the 'authentic black plastic ones with "KUBOTAN"printed on them' are just an excellent marketing opertunity jumped upon by one of our american friends.

About 90%ish of the things you can do with a kubotan you can do with your hands/fingers.

Col

19. YODA

I find a nice steel Parker ball point pen quite useful.

I write with it too :Angel:

20. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I can also point and gesture with my fingers ;)