Kris types?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by mike-a, Sep 24, 2004.

1. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Hi all!

I've got a question for the more knowledgable (than me, at least) types out there.

I recently optained a kris from the Philippines. It seems to be different than most I have seen. The majority of (pictures of) kris I have seen have the longer/thicker side of the blade (almost like a guard) at the top of the handle, and the point facing down. Mine has the longer part at the bottom, and the point facing up.

Is this a dodgy copy, or a particular type of kris?

2. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

pic

Oh, here's a pic of it

Attached Files:

3. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

that's actually a pretty good looking kris, i dont see anything wrong with it. Where abouts in P.I. did you get it?

4. themorningstar

themorningstar New Member

hello mike, what you have is a doce pares made visayan style kris sword...

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I have one of these too. Mine has a smaller dagger attached.

Sword - Kalis
    Dagger - Kriss

6. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Cheers Yoda, and Morningstar,

Yep it is from Doce Pares, the NZ rep bought it back from a trip to Cebu.

I did a wee bit more research, and it appears that a sword as I described it ( long bit on top, and short bit down) is often called a sundang (or something similar).

I was after one of the espada y daga sets, as I'd seen one many years earlier. Problem is New Zealand law prohibits importation of certain blades, double edged among them. One of the DP guys here had to get a special import permit to bring in balisong from the PI, and then they had to be blunt.

7. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Cheers Yoda, and Morningstar,

Yep it is from Doce Pares, the NZ rep brought it back from a trip to Cebu.

I did a wee bit more research, and it appears that a sword as I described it ( long bit on top, and short bit down) is often called a sundang (or something similar).

I was after one of the espada y daga sets, as I'd seen one many years earlier. Problem is New Zealand law prohibits importation of certain blades, double edged among them. One of the DP guys here had to get a special import permit to bring in balisong from the PI, and then they had to be blunt.

8. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

oops, browser hiccup!

9. themorningstar

themorningstar New Member

mike, if your still interested in doce pares' espada y daga sets(pinuti-style) they are still available, guro pat o'malley may be able to point you in a good direction unless you have a doce pares supplier in your area. by the way "sundang" is a very common term for any long blade in the central and southern philippines.

10. mike-a

mike-a Eskrima Geek

Cheers morningstar,

I know of a few places I could get the espada y daga set from, it's just bloody difficult getting double edged blades through customs here!

Not just knives either. A mate of mine who does kungfu has been trying for ages to get decent spears into the country.