Krav Maga

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by STASH, Sep 30, 2002.

1. STASH

STASH New Member

All i know is that its an Israeli martial art, anyone know anything about it, or better yet...know any sites?

2. Jim

Jim New Member

3. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

So does anyone know whats actually distincitve about Krav Maga, I know its a purely combative style but what are the emphasis's on in training?

Col

5. Tseek Choi

Tseek Choi Banned Banned

Funny but the web sites all regard KM as a realistic combat system, yet it is advertised in the METRO (London freebie) as an ideal way to loose weight & tone the body.
    It is classified between Cardio-kickboxing and spinning classes.
    Strange! I bet the Israeli special forces are impressed.

It seems to me to be an application driven self defence system, ex-military unarmed combat.
    My only concern is whether the instructors teaching in the UK and else where are really competent, compared to the Israeli forces, or whether a few seminars lead to instructor status!

Still I'd be interested if anyone here trains this system.

Colin.......................

6. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

7. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

There isn't much information on krav maga =/

I'm gonna start training in it early next year after Christmas though. Here's an outline of the syallabus :

Units 1-4 are here in some details)

Unit 1: General Information and Theory
    1. History of K.M. and of it's founder
    2. Dealing with a dangerous event:
    -a. State evaluation, process of dealing with an event
    -b. Neutralizing a danger and all its aspects
    -c. Possible outcome of a violent conformation.
    3. Principles underlying the defense techniques.
    4. Principles underlying the attack techniques.
    5. Training by principles - from techniques to real life variations
    6. Using common objects for self defense -theory and practice.
    7. Rhythm and pace.
    8. Using /relying on natural reactions to correct or prove a point.
    9. Principles and techniques of mental training.

Unit 2: Teaching Methodology; Human body
    1. Basics of anatomy and physiology.
    2. Correct instructing for instructors.
    3. Lesson plan outlines & preparing.
    4. Teacher student relationship.

Unit 3: Preliminary Considerations
    1. Safety in training
    -a. Organization of training: methods of training
    -b. Dress and appearance
    -c. Maintaining the studio
    -d. Behavior during training
    2. The warm-up
    -a. General principles
    -b. Exercises and variation
    -c. Approach to stretching and flexibility

Unit 4: The Basics
    1. How to stand - different outlet stances
    2. How to Punch : The basics use of body's weapons; make a fist; Theory of recoiling
    3. Movement and shadow boxing
    4. How to handle a fall

-a. Fall breaks backwards & from high position
    -b. Side fall breaks
    -c. Soft/hard forward fall breaks
    -e. Rolls forward - high, low, sideways,
    -f. Roll backwards.
    -g. Rolling with assignments, Combinations of rolls and fall breaks
    (The following units appear here by the subject's name only)
    Unit 5 - Attacking with the Hands
    Unit 6 - Attacking with the Legs

Unit 7 - Defenses against Punches

Unit 8 - Defenses against Kicks

Unit 9 - Releases from Grabs, Chocks & Holds at high level

Unit 10 - Releases from Grabs & Holds at medium level

Unit 11 - Releases with Throws

Unit 12 - Release from holds & grabs on the floor

Unit 13 - Leverages & Takedowns.

Unit 14 - Defense against attacks involving a stick / club.

Unit 15 - Defenses against attacks involving a knife (edged weapons).

Unit 16 - Defense against threats involving a knife (edged weapons).

Unit 17 - Defense against threats involving handgun.

Unit 18 - Defense against threats involving Submachine gun.

Unit 19 - Using common objects as weapons in defense against armed assailants

Unit 20 - Self defense against two assailants or more (armed with knife/stick or not armed)

Unit 20-25 - Military training units

Unit 26-30 - Law Enforcement training unites

Unit 31-33 - Additional units for Security and VIP Protection

Unit 34 - Self-defense for Children - Applications and transformations of the basic techniques and training methods for children.

Unit 35 - Self-defense for Women - Applications and transformations of the basic techniques and training methods for women.

Unit 36 - Fighting Drills.

Units 37-38 - Fighting Tactics and applications.

Unit 39 - Fighting in different positions & places.

Unit 40 - Ways and applications of mental training.

Unit 41 - 44 Training Methods for the above units.

Unit 45 - Simulations and scenarios, analyzing and training accordingly.

8. khafra

khafra New Member

You did cover the parts I've always been interested in, but never gotten any detail on--when you get to the units covering it, could you give a description of what exactly an unarmed defense against a guy 20 feet away holding a submachine gun is?

9. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

10. khafra

khafra New Member

Thanks! That looks like the resource to use, for sure!

11. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

I've just read http://www.kravmaga.org.uk/techniques.htm

Brutal. It's certainly a not a combat sport - the objective is to render the attacker unable to fight as quickly as possible by whatever means. I'd say very effective for self defence...

Red Grading includes defence against an attacker with a grenade, and using items such as biros and credit cards as weapons.

Black grading includes full contact sparring against 4 attackers in low light, and "Aggression exercise to escape while restrained on floor by 2 attackers".

Last edited: Jan 11, 2003
  12. MATT_LIQUID

MATT_LIQUID New Member

I'd love to train in krav maga!! It's the best street self defence in da world.

I read this sas self defence book. It was basicaly head butts, knee to the groin, punches to the neck, thumbes to the eyes.

13. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Saw some vid footage at a Ken Shamrock exibition thing

The KM looded to me to be a slightly street orientated version of Shoot fighting - MT and wrestling/Jujitsu stuff.

Mainly cos the founders background was in Judo, Jujitsu and the like - it seems pretty effective with some very good knife defences.

I got invited to become an instructor but did not have the time to do it. It costed £1500 and you have to have done 3 years in a prefered striking system.

So you can be a good KM instructor or not so great - guess it depends on what you did before and how long you have been doing the KM for. Like any style I guess.

It looked to be pretty simple stuff - sort of military based easy stuff. Basically it looked like a lot of it worked. Dont know guess the guy demoing it was a high level rep for the style. Basically lots of kicking and punches with a few locks and some weapon techniques. VERY suspect gun defences though - still most are.

SONSHU

14. crouton

crouton New Member

http://www.kravmaga.org.uk/red.htm
    if anyone took this class, id really like to hear their opinions on it. to me this isnt "realistic" self defense. if a guy has a grenade in his hands and wants to use it, he will. id rather spend my time running or praying. i also like the last sentance: "NOTE: Grenade knowledge required."

15. PantherFist

PantherFist Valued Member

Didn't J-lo train in KM for one of her latest movies, somthing about her being physicaly abused by her husband, then taking up KM and kicking his butt

16. Jim

Jim New Member

Yeah, the movie is called 'Enough'... I'll let you know what I think after I've seen it.

Can I be Uke? :D

17. Kwan Jang

Kwan Jang Valued Member

-some of our schools have Krav Maga as a secondary program (school within a school). My observation is that it's a good program for getting the average person who doesn't want to devote years of study, but willing to work hard, to a reasonably high level of street or combat effectiveness. It leaves a lot of the art and tradition of other systems out and goes to the heart of what most people would have to deal with. Example: Knife defenses. Most people who are assaulted w/ a knife are unaware that the subject had a weapon and thought they had been punched until they saw the amount of damage or the weapon was later recovered at the crime scene. KM deals w/ these types of movements and attacks. As a 23 year veteran of escrima/arnis, I would never personally use any of the KM techniques or strategy, since I know how they would play into the hands of an expert. However, they would be good for the more statistically common type of assault. If you were looking for a fairly quick route to no nonsense combat or street self defense, systems like Krav Maga, LYNXX, or CDT/LRTcan be very beneficial. Just my own evaluation/observation: I prefer the other two over KM. Lynxx due to it being more effective for dealing with skilled attackers as well. CDT for being more liability conscience and more of the population can physically do it.(requires less physical conditioning, less violent) while it's counterpart Last Resort Training is far more hardcore than KM.

18. khafra

khafra New Member

Depends on if he's suicidal or not--if you're already close, running might not be the best idea. A fragmentation grenade has a casualty radius of 15 meters, so their method might actually work. Again, depending on the psychological state of the wielder.

19. BB Wolf

BB Wolf New Member

Recently began training in KM after studying other Modern H2H styles and FMA over the last couple of years. Many of the schools are a bit slick and commercial, but the technique and training is good. It is a military -based system, which uses gross motor skills, instinctual movements, and direct, non-complex techniques to aggressively attack the enemy and quickly train its practicioners. I agree that the FMA knife techniques may be a bit more sophisiticated, but all in all, its a good combatives system.

20. cane

cane New Member

being an instructor of several disciplines and having gone through the krav system in near entirety i can safely say that the km people have a great marketing team.