[Korea] What does this mean??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rkuhn23, Nov 2, 2008.

1. rkuhn23

rkuhn23 New Member

Often when my master is torn between frustration and amusement with me he says something that sounds like this, "yoshimah" or "yochimah". Any idea what this means? I'd like to be able to fix whatever he's telling but I have to figure out what it is first. Thanks!

2. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

might be handy to tell us what langue your master is speaking in

3. rkuhn23

rkuhn23 New Member

my bad. I practice TKD so he's Korean. Any ideas? I'm sure the way I'm phonetically spelling is not even close to the real thing, but that's what it sounds like.

4. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

i'd say repost it in the korean section some korean speaking people over there

5. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Does he speak any English at all? Maybe it's just a random cry? Like Oy vey or something

6. rkuhn23

rkuhn23 New Member

I'd love to hear him yell, "OY VAY!!" too funny. He speaks reasonable English but everytime I ask him what it means he just shakes his head and walks away.

7. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

uh. wish i could help, but it isn't anything i can tell you off the top of my head.

8. rkuhn23

rkuhn23 New Member

I think I finally found it. I think it's actually "Hajiman" and it means to do something again but not the way I've been doing it...informative, eh?

9. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

ha ji ma means stop doing whatever it is you're doing.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  10. klaasb

klaasb ....

Hajima (하지만) 'means' but.

So it might be something like 'good BUT if you do it like this, better'.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

For whatever reason, I found that hilarious.

12. rkuhn23

rkuhn23 New Member

Again, very helpful directions, but funny... and now I'll probably get caned for laughing every time he says that.

13. DaeHanL

DaeHanL FortuneCracker

I think he means 하지마 ha ji ma.

14. klaasb

klaasb ....

That makes even more sense ;)

15. DEATHskull

DEATHskull TKD Bearfighter

Haha, that's hilarious! I figured it was something like that.

16. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

yes 하지마 means dont do that, constructed using the verb 하다 (to do) and 지마 (don't), it can be used in many ways using different verbs etc. :

먹지마 (mog ji ma) - dont eat that
    울지마 (ool ji ma) - dont cry
    마시지마 (mashi ji ma) - dont drink it
    핀계 대지마 (pin-kye dae ji ma) - dont make excuses

and the list goes on using different verbs, its very commonly used and i use it almost everyday :p

then ofcourse there is my favourite:- 하지마라고! (ha ji malago!) meaning: i told you not to do that!

the extension 라고 can be added in these circumstances to say that you already told someone that for example:

그거 먹지마라고 상했잖아! (i told you not to eat that! you know its rotten!!) lol
    그렇게 말하지마라고 (i told you not to speak like that)
    저쪽으로 가지마라고 (i told you not to go that way)

as for 하지만 (ha ji man) it is more like"however" than "but". "but" is formed using 는데/은데/ㄴ데 for example:

매운거 잘안먹지만 가끔 먹기도 해요 (i dont eat spicy food well, however i do eat it sometimes)

and a sentence using "but": 어젯밤에 너무 일찍 잤는데 오늘 아침 7시에 못일어났어요 (last night i slept really early but i couldnt wake up at 7 this morning)

the words but and however are used in similar context but the word "but" is more frequent.

hope that was a bit helpful and provided a small insight into other things.

17. klaasb

klaasb ....

My family speaks satori (Busan dialect), we say; ha ji ma rai (하지마라이) ;)

18. Studude67

Studude67 The hungry fighter

cool, ive always lived in Seoul so wouldnt know, i do remember when i visited Busan before how it was more diffiult to understand other people and vise versa haha, i asked my gf about the diffirent dialect today, she knew it but couldnt enlighten me anymore on it :p