[Korea] Learn Korean

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Coges, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Can anybody recommend any worthwhile sites to visit where I can learn korean via the net? I have tried Pimsleur before when I started learning Mandarin but to buy the stuff is just way too expensive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Romulus, I'm looking also. If I find something I'll pass it along, please do the same if you would. :)

3. Hapkidoin P

Hapkidoin P Valued Member

2nd languages

Hi,

Personally,I would go to the nearest Bookseller,i.e. Barnes and Noble,Borders,and spend the 10-25$ for a cd language course. It may be handier,since you will always have it with you. Most include Textbooks and English to whatever dictionaries,so it's really not that bad of a deal.

I personally bought the Japanese edition,and have found it easier than anything else. The only drawback is it's "conversational". There are such things as "Master" courses available,but they run anywhere from 80-125$US.

The biggest thing is to find people and places to practice what you have learned. There is a world of difference between learning and doing. :) Hope this helped.

4. dngrruss

dngrruss Valued Member

I tried to learn conversational Korean. I simply did not have the time or the patience for such an evdeavor. I have not found any "learn quick" systems and would also be interested in any information you guys find.

5. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

hi, i think this is pretty good advice.

i bought a book / cassette tape combination a couple of years ago called colloquial korean, by in-seok kim. you can find it on amazon, i think if you get the tapes as well as the book it runs about US$40.

you'll probably find that it's fine for teaching yourself the hangul alphabet, which is surprisingly easy (only about 40 characters) and learning how to pronounce the characters. but you'll need a native speaker (ideally) to practice with to really learn anything. that's my problem right now.

i have read on a board somewhere that a good place to look, if there are any near you, is korean churches. apparently they often have korean language courses for the children of korean parents born abroad. also, you might try a local university.

good luck...

6. Coges

Coges Valued Member

Thanks for the replies. I have a Korean church not too far away so i'll check that out.

Also discovered that you can get pimsleur stuff through p2p sharing. Pimsleur is quite good for learning the basics but like nj_howard and Hapkidoin P said the biggest problem is having someone to practice with.

Will keep trying and keep you guys updated.

Thanks again.

7. nj_howard

nj_howard Valued Member

romulus, this is even worse with a language like korean than with, say, french or spanish, because korean is so different from english.

there is a local tv channel in my area that has korean programming about 60% of the time. sometimes i watch it at night, they have those epic serials about wars from centuries ago, and if it's one that has english subtitles you can pick up a few words here and there if you're really diligent. plus, you can hear how the language sounds when spoken by native speakers.

again, good luck.

8. swampthing500

swampthing500 New Member

Hey Rom,
    im 15 and australian.I visited korea in '02 with my korean friend. I know how to read basic hangul and speak some korean.The best way to learn, i found was just to listen to natives speaking it and try to pick up things here and there. Before starting to speak i recommend learning to read (its not that difficuly once u get the hang of it). I just got a table of basic hangul composition, and put it in my wallet, and looked at it every now and again.

i will post again with some good links that are in my fav's.-im not on my computer atm

good luck

9. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Hey all!

My fav sites for learning Korean online:

Most Excellent of all beginning overviews, for understanding the alphabet, basic pronunciation, vocab, etc.:
    http://www.langintro.com/kintro/

Official website presented by the Korean Govt. to help foreigners learn the language (more advanced, and requires you to download a Korean font):
    http://www.mct.go.kr/hangeul/

10. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Thanks for coming through for us again Anne. It is much appreciated as are you!! :Angel:

11. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

You just made my day!! Thanks! :love:

12. kabba kick

kabba kick New Member

thanks alot,itll probably help me out too