Knee Rider's uncreatively titled training log: 100% tedium guaranteed.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Knee Rider, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Session 3: BJJ gi

Class material: back take from kimura (when opponent straightens their arm.

Essentially transition your grip and place the straightened arm behind your head, flatten it with your body, feed you arm into their collar and shrimp out to take the back. Could do it in drilling. Not sure it's very 'me' but I'm going to play with it if/when I get chance.

Rolling 3x 10min rounds

Rolling was good I hit the north south choke which I worked in nogi the other day and tapped a guy out purely from side control pressure. I also managed to consistently smash pass a brown belts guard but always ended in turtle top from which they retained half guard or full guard. Need to have a little think about strategies against more advanced players as I frequently gave the escape away through moving without a clear goal from my sprawl. Any error in judgement gets punished at that level.

Nice sweaty cathartic session with a lot of successes and just enough signposts for further work :)

2. Knee Rider

Session 1: BJJ gi

Absolute nightmare session today! Not due to anything performance related but due to having to dash home before I soiled myself in the mats :(

I felt a weird rummbling in my belly during the warm up but decided to push on and shrug it off as nothing.

Did some passing and defending isolation sparring. Did the technical drilling... Inverted guard... Not ideal.

About 45mins in I felt like the bottom was going to fall out of my belly.

The toilet door at the gym has no lock, no toilet paper and is right by the mat. I knew for fact I wasn't going to let things go there.

I made my excuses and dashed off.

At least 3 times on the walk home (run) I though I was going to publicly ruin my trackies... My core strength must be impeccable :D I deserve a belt promotion for mental fortitude.

3. Knee Rider

Sessions one and two: MMA and BJJ gi

Class material: half guard pass using strikes to defend the underhook and open the opportunity to repummel your own and pass.

Sparring (positional sparring): rolling from half guard with strikes. Reset after either tip man passes or bottom guy sweeps/escapes.

Class material: open guard pass - stuff the nearside leg and swim to underhook the farside leg. Drop shoulder and smash pressure through and either pass from there or smash legs away from body, crossface with a circular motion and stabilise cross sides.

Rolling 3x 10min rounds

Rolling felt good. Transitions and top control are solid/good. I hit a few armbars from guard today which is good as its a big hole in my game (armbar and triangles from guard) as I tend to favour sweeps and hip bumb to kimura/guillotine combinations.

4. Knee Rider

Session 3: BJJ gi

Class material: deep half sweeps and back take.

Deep half...urrgh.

Hate it. Suck at it.

Need to work on loading the basing knee enough to get good angle and lighten the far leg. Sweep involved faffing about with lapels which I hate. Back take was off the same grips but due to having the opponent loaded over me too much I found it easier to slide out the back than to sweep.

Rolling: 2x 10mins. Good rolls. Played against a purple with phenomenal posture... Impossible to break down in closed guard. Managed to open up and scramble to turtle top, side control, north south from which I held position for a good while until he worked an underhook and reversed me. I then got smashed until being bow and arrowed. Really good roll :)

Other roll was a two stripe white. Great roll. Very aggressive. Caught mount and finished it with head and arm. Second go got passed and saw round out defending from side control.

5. Knee Rider

Sessions 1 and 2: MMA and BJJ Gi

Class material: half guard single leg entry and kimura set up

Rolling 3x 10 min rounds. Sweaty, crushy, punchy fun.

Class material: half guard top lapel choke, brabo variation if the defend the second arm and step over choke variation if they flat out .

Rolling 3x 10min rounds. Grabby grippy crushy Choky fun.

Possibly the worst/laziest entry yet but I'm absolutely ruined from tonight and can't handle a long type.

Rolls felt good. Got destroyed by a pro fighter in MMA but was dominant in the other two rounds. Tried a few NS kinuras but couldn't get the arm isolated enough. Had a few tricky moments with strong dudes trying to bench out of sidecont. Managed to turn them into head and arm chokes each time but struggled to do so at times.

6. Knee Rider

back to running

had since last post off training due to being on holiday in north wales as well as preparing for and then attending my girlfirend's major surgery, which she had yesterday. she's in all week and visiting times clash with training so will be back after she is discharged, which will hopefully be soon. until then I'm going to get back into running as I really miss it.

Did a nice easy 5k on thursday to break myself back in. Sore yesterday and a bit today but nothing major. felt strong in the run which was actually quite surprising as I havent run for months.

trying to decide if I'm going to hit up the saturday morning MMA class but feelling pretty low after yesterday's long and stressful day at the hospital.

7. Knee Rider

Run

Another 5k today. Felt good again. Baking heat, mind. Pushed pace a bit more today.

8. Knee Rider

Bodyweight

My girlfriend is back from hospital but I'm caring for her full time at the moment so unable to really leave the house. As such I figured I'd hit a deck of cards workout to keep my body strong for the return to training (next week I hope!).

Deck of cards -

Reds: Hindu squats, blacks: kimura sit ups, jokers: 50 reps red/black.

Stand from sit up using technical get up, drop to sit up using sprawl to sit out/through.

Rest 0mins

Time 18 mins 25seconds

Total reps 220 squats 220 sit-ups (I think).

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

This thread contains nowhere near the amount of tedium promised on the label. I demand a refund!

:D

10. Knee Rider

Just give me your card number and personal bank details and I'll sort you out mate ;)

11. Knee Rider

Session 1 & 2: MMA & Gi BJJ

MMA

Class material: defending the single leg. Whizzer, push head, change level, sprawl or capture far leg and roll back, land in kind of crucifix position with a leg and arm instead of two arms, flat far knee and elevate hips up and over to crank neck.

Key notes: change level and angle before sprawl. Stay heavy on head and roll back. Drop knee to initiate roll.

Sparring: isolation sparring from crucifix position then full rolling starting from single leg with whizzer in.

All my rounds ended with me in mount teeing off, so happy with that.

BJJ Gi:

Class material: ezekiel and cross collar choke from mount.

Everyone knows these. No need to go into detail.

key notes: grip deep and turn wrists, tuck elbows and bring body to body to maximise choke efficacy (cross collar choke).

Rolling 2x 10mins

Good rolls. Game was solid. Got caught with a calf crusher type thing again today by leaving my leg trailing whilst stabilising half guard top. Was mindful of keeping it tucked away for rest of roll and subsequent roll so lesson learned by might investigate the move a bit to get a handle on it.

12. Knee Rider

Session 1 & 2: no Gi BJJ and thai boxing

No Gi - class material:

Single leg takedown from open guard.

Really liked this technique. It's a simple single leg attack which you sit up into from open guard when your opponent takes a penetration step to pass.

Key notes: keep head tight to leg and shoulder up to prevent guillotine. Keep opponent's leg straight. Post rear hand and use far side leg to reap opponent's leg back. Drive forward and square for maximum pressure.

Objective sparring: start from single leg sweep position switch when one party established new position.

Had good success countering by driving knee to floor or cross facing opponent to their back during the drive.
    Hit the sweep and found immediate pass tricky without going through half butterfly first.

Full rolling: 3x 5min rounds. Felt relaxed, mobile and heavy. No subs scored or conceded. All rounds against way bigger guys and spent a lot of time playing top game.

Thai boxing - class material: jab parry and sparring drills looking to fient and land the lead hook.

Full sparring: 5 x 5min rounds. Felt sluggish as I've been neglecting my standup recently. Landed some good shots in the form of inside and outside leg kicks and jabs but was shelling a lot rather than moving which meant I ate some hooks and straight body shots. My kick checks were on point though and my counter jab felt good.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ahem...... Rippling abs you say?

14. Knee Rider

When I get them you'll be the first to know ;)

15. Knee Rider

Sessions 2 & 3: MMA and Gi BJJ

MMA: class material - shooting the double and finishing in side control. From here transitioning to head and arm choke if opponent turns in or side ride turtle top if they turn away.

Key notes: keep head to head to pin arm, use shoulder to apply pressure and keep weight over it pressing into hand, edge head towards arm without shifting base/weight to finish. Allow roll and trace hip to hip if they turn away. Feed arm between hip and nearside arm to establish hook as they turn.

Drilling one for one takedowns to techniques.

Isolation sparring takedown to one of techniques or establishing side control one for one.

Class material: BJJ - xande sweep.

Key notes: offline hips slightly, same side arm grip and and one grip on pants. Plant foot with knee tight to body. Pendulum off opponent's squaring movement.

Extras- transition to armbar if they post out. Sit up and to 45 degree angle to gain leverage/angle if base is solid.

Guard passing drills start of class.

Rolling 2x 10min rounds.

Got trapped in deep half top at one point. Can survive there and used collar choke to force and opening to escape but felt quite threatened. Going to focus on this position from a defensive perspective.

16. Knee Rider

Running

Went for a run today. Bit hung over and skipped training all week. Gave in after 3.5 miles with a time of 9mins per mile. Pretty appalled with myself.

17. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Xande sweep = helicopter / pendulum sweep?

If so I found this very helpful -

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrsOh2LaiC8"]Pendulum Sweep to Armbar Combination - Firas Zahabi - YouTube[/ame]

18. Knee Rider

It's almost the same except for you block the hip/foot with your left leg {for a sweep to your left) rather than using a swing with it as a way to build momentum and create angle. The energy is created by your opponent attempting to adjust their base to square up in your guard.
    I'd say it a variation of the flower/pendulum/helicopter sweep.

That video was class though (as ever from TriStar).

19. Knee Rider

Sessions 1 & 2: double MMA

I can't lie. Other than the half arsed Hungover run I went on in my last update I've been a lazy bugger this past week. I decided to rectify that today and drag my ass to the gym. When I don't train, I feel like a waste of space. The more I don't go to training the worse I feel and the harder it seems to go. I haven't been for 10days so I felt super low before hand. As ever, now I've been, I feel amazing. Mind and body flushed out and full of endorphins.

Class material: MMA session 1 - entry to clinch and obtaining plum/double inside. Delivering knees, snap down to front headlock, choke and defending the double from there then go behind/slide by to takedown back take and RNC.

Drilling technique no resistence.

Class material: MMA 2 - crucifix variation delivering strikes to Americana or armbar.

Drills position then resistant rolling from position.

Clinch sparring.

20. Knee Rider

Session 1: MMA

Class material: overhook knee shield from half guard bottom to straight armbar, Americana and kimura.

Key notes: knee to hip rather than shin, cross feet and arch away for more pressure, tight overbook with palm to chest. Switch feet to hips to attack. For straight-arm bar keep foot on shoulder and use knee to accentuate leverage. For Americana use leg high on back to control posture and raise opposite hip up and towards mat. For kimura keep legs low and crossed on lower back. Maintain contact when changing grip from elbow inside, to own wrist by sliding.

Really like this position and sub chain. Super effective as long as overhook is tight and distance is controlled well by knees and feet on hips. Noticed in sparring how vital it is to control free arm from overlooking your head as it totally breaks the offensive element of the guard and shuts you down to survival.

Rolling with strikes 2x 5mins

Got leg locked to death then mauled by pro fighter, so rough night.

I have some basic leg attack defences but my god they need polishing. Survived in half guard against fighter and defended guiloteen to standing to guard and escaped to take side control before rounded ended but spent so much time on bottom getting my face crushed by sgin on face whilst defending arm attack it barely seemed like a personal victory.

Clinch sparring: did well here. I've developed some good defensive wrestling based on under hooking and leading with shoulder to pummel. Hit three major position s consistently and am tough to takedown. Happy with how my clinch is looking.