Knee Discussion

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by TheMasterSword, Jun 1, 2005.

1. TheMasterSword

TheMasterSword Cunning Linguist

Quick question about training for knees....

When I knee someone in sparring I usually use the patella..

However, when I knee the thai pads I usually aim just above the patella and hit with that because I have found that kneeing with the patella can be damagin (i've had knee ligament problems)....at least against a thick thai pad...

Is there any "conditioning" for your patella.... is it ok to knee with the lower thigh/area just above patella

Thanks

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

When sparring or training with an un-padded partner, you should NEVER strike with your patella. There is too much of an injury risk. Strike with the soft inside of your thigh.

To answer your question, its fine to hit with the top of the knee as opposed to the patella. As a matter of fact, I *rarely* actually strike with the patella, but use the top or side of my knees instead.

3. K1Mike

K1Mike New Member

Yes do not strike with the patella. If you do, point your foot and your toes upward, so that your shin muscles are contracted, and will help prevent your knee cap from getting knocked out of place. I've seen it happen. Don't point your foot and toes downward unless you have a clear shot at their head.