Kickboxing compared to Savate

Discussion in 'Kickboxing' started by Chilu, Mar 14, 2004.

1. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

What is the difference between the two? I don't have experience in either, I was just wondering. I heard in savate they commonly move their arms out of a guard in order to keep balance, but leave themselves open. Is this true, and if it is does kickboxing do this? Thanks in advance for any comments/comparisons!!

2. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

http://www.bridgemansavate.com/index.html

Has interesting info on history of savate, techniques and weapons.

Savate includes low line kicks to shins and yes, traditional savate(I believe) did advocate using arms for balance-modern savate does not(I think).

3. Chilu

Chilu Banned Banned

Wow, they show you how to use a chair offensively :D I may have to look into that a little further... :Angel:

4. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Hey if you are interested in MA from a chair, I suggest you search the term "Zibby" on this very web site.

:D

5. iolair

iolair Mostly Harmless

Because savateurs wear hard shoes, the style also includes kicking with the toes as well as the usual foot surfaces.

6. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

And this allows kicking at a slightly longer range...
    Story goes that the french fighters have particularly hard shoes because they leave them overnight in the freezer before a competition!
    :yeleyes:

7. Screwi

Screwi New Member

yeah, the number of times i've seen people floored by (relatively) gentle, controlled kicks is silly...

trust me, shoes hurt. even squash shoes when used right. in fact, half the time you can work out who hit you by the pattern of your bruise :)

8. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

Savate is kickboxing for ballerinas ^_^

9. Screwi

Screwi New Member

Come over here and say that! :)

fair enough it can be, but it's like any art. train it right and in the right spirit, and you've got yourself one angry ballerina

10. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate ballet!

We don't come on here and try to put down your art, especially without knowing the first thing about it... So we'd much appreciate it if you would refrain from continuing in this vein.

As for ballet, go try a couple of sessions. It'll prove to be a much harder workout than you've ever undertaken in your life before - believe me. After you've done that, let me know your weight and experience and I'll match you up with a French Savate fighter of the same sort of level for you to 'dance' with!

Pugil

11. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

some arts are all blood, guts and sweat... other arts encourage cleaner, crisper technique... doesn't mean they aren't effective!

if you prefer blood & guts, that's your choice... but it ain't mine!

:cool:

12. QuickFeet

QuickFeet New Member

...obviously an intelligent chap...

13. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate Knowledge

Savate Knows and Knows Not
    He who knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool; avoid him.
    He who knows not and knows that he knows not is a student; teach him.
    He who knows and knows not that he knows is asleep; wake him.
    He who knows and knows that he knows is a wise man; follow him.

Pugil

14. b33p.us

b33p.us Member

You people need to calm down, I was only joking. I've seen savate before and I see that it's very similar to kickboxing. I took up kickboxing and I don't think that Savate training would be much more difficult in training, right? Sometimes we do a bit of Muay Thai training just for self defence, i.e. for fights on the street some drunk people may want to have with you.

My comment was sait jokingly, hence the face afterwards.

15. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Savate - Only Joking!

Where have you 'seen Savate before' then? As for being similar to Kickboxing, shouldn't that be the other way around? I mean, Savate pre-dates American Kickboxing at least by about 150 years!

Unless you've actually trained with an authentic Savate instructor you won't fully understand the differences either.

Muay Thai is a fantastic system of training and fighting, but even that art doesn't fully address completely the problems of street defence. Fortunately for us, we have Boxe Savate (sport Savate) and Savate Defence (street Savate). Those people who train in both aspects of Savate learn the sport of stand-up fighting, using kicks and punches only, and those who practise the street defence side of the art learn all aspects of self-defence, including stand-up, on the ground, and against weapons.

Pugil

16. savateuse

savateuse Valued Member

Pay attention, Pugil!

He's seen "some videos and did some research on savate for the first time" last month. Says so on another of his posts on a different thread!
    :cool:

17. nonsense

nonsense Valued Member

I hope this helps, Savate I think is pretty effective both sport and self-defense. I dont usually fight on the street, so I cant give example, but look at Ernesto Hoost, he's an awesome fighting athlete, and he was a Savate champion (European champion, if I remember correctly)