Katas !!!! Ba Sai Dai

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Martial7, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

i think bassai does fare well if done correctly, i almost always win the round in which i do bassai, only problem is if you do it right you get tired easily, so i always use it as last resort/emergency measure if i'm not in a final round.

2. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

I do the Tang Soo Do version. Differences I have noticed,

As already said the hips are used differently,

Knife hand strikes, both hands come from the hip as opposed to the push pull in Karate

The moves after the first four knifehands and before the kick(have seen side and front) are different(too hard to explain)

I have seen a few variations of the knifehands at the end(moving at 90 degree angles or 45 degrees), I think its the Tomari version that has tiger claw like strikes instead.

3. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

I'm with you on this one. As I've explained elsewhere, I can only get to one TSD class a week, so I 'guest' at a Shotokan Karate class (but do the TSD versions by agreement with the instructor).

Just before those last 3 knifehand (that go in very different directions), there seems to be a different emphasis on what we do as downward backfist attacks. They wording used seems to be "sweep the limb, and throw away". So similar, yet so different.

Since the start of this thread, I've bottomed out the nunchaku version of this form and successfully learned the proper one. Yaaahhh!!! :)

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

JB - nunchaku version in any free time up at ScotMAP? :D

5. Martial7

Martial7 Valued Member

Id love to cee that nunchaku version ! my teacher was trying to show me how you can use the sword with Bassai Dai. oh yea, im gettin on Bassai Sho as well, wish me luck...............next stop, Tomari Bassai !

6. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Gaskell - Your ON!! :)

Martial7 - you sort me some air-fare and I'd be happy to show you :D

7. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

*puts nunchaku in bag ready* :D

8. Martial7

Martial7 Valued Member

In due time my friend ! hope to see some of you at a MAP meet when one gets closer to me !

9. Shotowarrior

Shotowarrior New Member

Bassai Dai and Sho are practiced in Shotokan, Wado and other old Okinawan styles, although the original Okinawan pronounciation of Passai was changed to Bassai. The commonly Bunkai (which by the way is not the true translation of Kata application) is different to each club. I love this Kata I am doing it now at my club, I love it because it shows the influence from Japanese Samurai and the influence from China. My club is JKAE so we take a strong view to this Kata and its traditional methods.

10. MartialArtsSnob

MartialArtsSnob New Member

Jamie,
    Very nice form indeed! It is my understanding that the Dai, sho (greater, lessor) were to distinguish forms which are "Short hands" and "Long hands". Stand up and do "wax on and wax off" with your elbows remaining still. This is short hands, everything comes from the elbow. Systems which rely mostly on "short hands" include WC, boxing, southern shaolin, Ba Gua, etc... If you do "wax on, wax off” with your arms straight, you are doing long hands, they come from the shoulder. "Long Hands" systems include things like northern shaolin, Lama kung fu (Hop Gar), etc. Many styles incorporate both. Shotokan separates these concepts in the Dai/Sho kata sets. Bassi, Kushanku, Gojushiho all have dai/sho sets. Hope this helps.

lovebeingasnobMartialartsnobout!

11. Thanks ...
    Not quite like it used to be however and certainly needs some improvement before attempting Sandan! ;)

I've never heard it put like that before!
    I suppose within the kata (Bassai Dai/Sho for example) the differences with regards to your explaination, become less obvious due to the ammendments that have been made over the years by various masters ... or not?

Shotowarrior, I'm with the JKAE too ... whereabouts are you based?

Cheers
    J

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  12. MartialArtsSnob

I would agree.

13. About the masters changing them or my kata needing improvement?!?!?

Second thoughts, don't answer that!

J

14. MartialArtsSnob

Ha Ha.....too late. Yes about the Masters. One question about the form though: Are you supposed to wrap your fingers around your shoulders and neck on your shutos? ;)

JustbeingthenitpickingsnobIamMartialartsnobout!

15. :eek: *Enough said*

J :)

16. Shotowarrior

Shotowarrior New Member

I am based down in Devon at the Paignton Shotokan Karate Club.

17. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Is that where they do the "Train with champions" thing every year?

18. Shotowarrior

Shotowarrior New Member

[Is that where they do the "Train with champions" thing every year?
    ]

Are you being sarcastic, or is this true. Either way never heard of it.

19. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

20. Shotowarrior

Shotowarrior New Member

Oh then yes they do competitions there, but thats a different club not JKAE.