Karate Lineage

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Indie12, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

This has probably already been discussed. But Shotokan is actually relatively new compared to other forms of Karate isn't it? I thought Goju-Ryu, Shorin-Ryu and others were older?

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I don't think it's quite that straightforward. Not least because it seems to me that defining when shotokan "began' isn't an easy task. Do we count the beginning of shotokan as being when Funakoshi started teaching karate on Okinawa or when he started teaching in Japan? Do we mean shotokan that was taught by Funakoshi senior or by his son or the formation of the JKA and leadership of Nakayama? Tricky because Funakoshi didn't consider himself to teach "shotokan style", just karate, so that name wasn't formally accepted until quite a while after Funakoshi first started teaching in Japan.

The same goes for the other schools that we'd consider to be Japanese karate.

To take rough start dates as being the foundation of schools in Japan, shotokan, ****o ryu and goju ryu are more or less contemporaneous, although shotokan became more widespread more quickly. Wado ryu is slightly newer as its founder trained under Funakoshi, as is kyokushinkai.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

pretty sure goju, ****o, shorin and shotokan were officially established in japan right around the same time. before that, depends when you start considering as the aame thing as what we now think of as them.

but shotokan is clearly older. it gave rise to tkd, which is 2000 years old :p

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Did Jesus do TKD?

5. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Yup he turned water into wine and karate into tkd :)

Oh and some other God type stuff apparently ...

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

How can you guys be so wrong yet nearly get it?

Karate came from TKD.

As did JuJitsu, Aikido, MMA and the A10 Tankbuster, to name but a few other things.

Mitch

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Karate is almost an anagram of TKD.

Although I am using the word 'almost' in a fairly loose way.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

but not machineguns or stealth bombers. those came from wing chun and the booj.

9. VoidKarateka

VoidKarateka Valued Member

You can't appreciate a good stealth carpet bombing until you experience true wing chun.....

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Most of North Korea believes the first two. :(

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

And the rest of the world the last two. Oh yes.

Mitch :D