Karate in The Filipines?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Tony, May 3, 2003.

1. Tony

Tony New Member

Hello everyone!

I am from Sweden and practice karate, no special style, only kumite. I am going to the Filipines in august and like to practice karate there.
    Is it anyone who knows a club or anyone i can contact in the Filipines. I am interesting in filipine martial arts too.

/ Tony

IK STADION KARATE
    SWEDEN

2. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

So far, the only one which is well-known here is AAK (Shotokan karate). Kyokushinkai and Wado-ryu is also practiced here, but only among small groups.

3. Tony

Tony New Member

Ok, but do you know how i can get in contact with some clubs?
    it would bee nice to get in contact with some karate students/clubs now befor i go in aug. Do you have a site or somthìng?

/Tony

4. nurseryrhyme

nurseryrhyme New Member

Karate in the Philippines

hello there Tony. I know this great club you can go to Shotokan Karate. So far its the largest Karate organization the Philippines. You can Check out their website at www.kda.ph or you can go to google and type in Karate Development Arts and Sports. Hope I was able to help. Thanks.

5. nurseryrhyme

nurseryrhyme New Member

Karate in the Philippines

by the way, i think they're the ones who are members of the Philippine Karate Federation. I've heard that AAK has been banned from that same federation because of various offenses.

6. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Re: Karate in the Philippines

Welcome to the forum nurseryrhyme and I am sure that Tony will find your information of use. :)

Please note however, that the above sentence could be considered slanderous! We have no proof of this, you haven't offered proof of this and to my knowledge we don't have a member of the AAK to defend this. I know it is noted on the forum abouts that the opinions expressed on the forum are not the opinions necessarily of MAP but we would prefer it if this sort of remark was avoided altogether.

What you mention in PM's, emails is out of our jurisdiction (to a certain degree).

Thank you for abiding by the rules. :)

7. nurseryrhyme

nurseryrhyme New Member

Hello Melanie.

I've been doing some research. The information has been confirmed. people can try going to WKF.NET and look for the president of the Philippine Karate Federation. People can try asking him himself. I know because i interviewed him :) His name's Eduardo Ponce, the Philippine Federation president. He can give you the lowdown :) Thanks for the comments though :)

8. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Cheers for that. I won't follow it up but I needed to express the rules per se. Thanks for being so good about it and I look forward to further posts from yourself :)

9. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

In response to nurseryrhyme's comment about the AAK

Greetings,

I just joined this forum and I happened to see this post. I am a member of the AAK and been a member since 1981.

It is one thing to promote a club, but to promote one and slander another is just tasteless.

The KDA was organized by former AAK members. I know most of them personally and trained with them for years. They could have not achieved their status today if it weren't for the guidance and teachings of Shihan Pocholo Veguillas, Chief instructor of the AAK.

Nurseryrhyme, if you did some real research, you should have interviewed Shihan Veguillas. In any research, you should see both sides of the coin to make a proper assessment and judgement.

If you want to discuss politics of Karate-do in the Philippines, e-mail me personally and keep it of the list.

To Tony, the AAK would be more than happy to occomodate you during your stay in the Philippines. You can contact them at the following numbers:

+63-2-635-6608 / +63-2-635-6611
    Fax: +63-2-635-6612 / +63-2-805-4006
    E-mail: aakarate@mindgate.com.ph

Look for Chino Veguillas or Ricky Lim.

Just an FYI, their athlete's just came back from Greece and competed in Tommy Morris' (Chairman of WKF Referee Committee -- http://www.worldkarate.net/) 12th KOI World Cup. They won 2 Gold Medals, 3 Silver Medals and 8 Bronze Medals. The AAK will also host the 13th KOI World Cup.

Regards,

ketong71

10. 2wirin

2wirin New Member

Hello Tony and "Mabuhay ka " (Filipino greeting and wish for Long life). I bow and express my admiration to Officer_fujita's help to you. (Fujita-san, Domo arigato gozaimasu.) I agree too that it would be good for you to check on AAK. They just recently celebrated their THIRTY NINTH YEAR anniversary as an institution in Karate-do. In fairness to other views expressed or triggered by your question, do check also with E.Ponce of PKF. I'm sure that with the times we spent together at AAK, he can readily spare a few crumbs of kind words to his Alma Mater. The same goes too to our former students who had organised KDA. I am no longer connected actively in any martial art groups. I may be considered retired from the sport but I have not retired from the quest for TRUTH. "There will always be Samurais who would readily commit seppuko in the name of Bushido.... there would be others who don't have the heiho and would live a long shameful life as ronin..

11. 2wirin

2wirin New Member

Tony, By the way I've heard of the latest achievent of AAK athletes in the recent KOI tournament in Evia, Greece were they competed with some of the National team from other asian countries which definitely would compete in the coming SEAGAMES. These young athlete from AAK have been bringing home the first world championship honors since 2001 and had done it again recently. (see 3rd World Gojukai Karate-do, Perth Australia, 11th KOI, Dresden Germany and 12th KOI World Karate Cup, Evia Greece). research also beaurocracy/mushroom treatment when recognition is denied on the national level.

12. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Re: In response to nurseryrhyme's comment about the AAK

Greetings Ketong,

Welcome to the forum.

The professionalism of your response has been noted, so thank you.

The site has no wish to be a vehicle for other peoples agendas. Political or otherwise!

Thanks.

Andy

13. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

doe anyone here have contacts to wado ryu or ****o ryu in the phils? I'm from the Phils and would love to train in either form of karate. thanks

14. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Hi Machine,

I might sound like a broken record, but if you stay in Metro Manila, do contact the AAK:

+63-2-635-6608 / +63-2-635-6611
    Fax: +63-2-635-6612 / +63-2-805-4006
    E-mail: aakarate@mindgate.com.ph

Sensei Ricky Lim is qualified to teach Goju-Ryu and ****o-Ryu.

Which part of the Philippines are you from? I know there was once a ****o-ryu school in Laguna (I forgot which part -- I believe it was in Calamba). The instructor was Japanese -- Sensei Kato. He used to visit the AAK every now and then during the early and mid-ninetees. Big guy, more of a fighter than a tournament competitor. He looked like a big version of the Japanese Actor, "Mako". Last I heard, though was that he moved back to Japan and is running a small business and his own gas station.

Regards,

Ketong71

15. 2wirin

2wirin New Member

The Machine,

"Mabuhay" Again I'll support the suggestion of Ketong71. Go backwards and see also answers to questions of Tony. For all we know he could be in the Philippines right now and may also provide you some of his findings; his question is quite similar to yours.

Oh! the venerable Miyagi-san...Thats so true. Likewise, "There is no bad sword, only bad swordsmiths.".... Hmmmm, but it may be "half the truth", there just could be some exceptions,..for I can remember an american friend saying that "You can't make chicken soup out of chicken sh_t." (just pondering and tickling your funny bones.)

Regards and let's both try to be a better person than yesterday,

2wirin

16. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

thanks for the offer but I do know some info and from what I heard, AAK focuses on Shotokan karate. Not that I don't like the style, but i'm more inclined towards the other styles of karate rather than Shotokan, just personal choice. I'm from paranaque city by the way

17. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Different Karate Styles taught in the Philippines

Hi Machine,

Taga-Paranaque ka pala. Taga-Quezon City naman ako rati. Ngayon, nasa New Dyersi na ako at nagtratrabaho ako sa Big-epol. :p

Anyway. True, the AAK is predominantly Shotokan. All students learn the fundamentals of Shotokan Karate. However, when one progresses, they are introduced to the other three Major Japanese Styles (Goju-ryu, ****o-ryu and Wado-Ryu). These styles are normally introduced to the student when they reach Ni-kyu or 2nd Class Brown Belt. Then, they can specialize on what style they wish. Most of the old school guys, like myself, are Shotokan. But the younger Blackbelts are a mix. And they do very well. Not only do they have a strong understanding of the fundametals of the style they choose, they have a good understanding of the bunkai-oyo (analysis-application) of the kata, not just form for competition.

If that's not your cup of tea, you can try Kyokushin-kai. I know that there are two main clubs there. The more popular one is a member of the IKO-1 Branch (Shokei Matsui Branch). You may want to contact - Steven Foo Seik Jew -- Branch Chief. I believe that the Philippine Airlines Karate Club is under his club. You can contact them at the following:

88 N. Domingo Street,
    Corazon de Jesus
    San Juan, Metro Manila, 1500
    Tel: +63-917-533-8811

The other group is a member of the IKO-2 Branch (Kenji Midori Branch). I don't know much about them:

Eguardo Castaneda
    National Capital District Police Crim. Invest. Command Camp Quezon City, 908 2nd F. Carbungco Bldg. Quezon Ave. Cor. Garcia St. Quezon City, Metro Manila
    Tel:+632-411-7511
    Fax:+632-924-2947

There was an Isshin-ryu school in Quezon City, by the old Circle Theater at the cor. of Timog Ave. and Quezon Ave. I don't know how good they are or if they still exist.

One thing you want to avoid is the karate-do Quiapo stuff (Manila term for a McDojo).

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Ketong71

18. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

ketong,

AAK is a good system yet never understand why you have to reach a certain level in shotokan before learning a new from of karate. buti kung karate, tapos jujitsu or judo since they are totally differnet. Atemi-waza is atemi-waza. Mas gusto ko lang talaga ang wado or kyokushin as compared to karate. I forgot to realize that my jujitsu sensei is also incorporating goju ryu into our training so I'll also get a level in goju ryu. Do you know other dojos na may other forms of karate? I'll also wanna check it out. basically sa major forms, I am focused on learning wado ryu and aside from that either kyokushin or an okinawan style

19. skyfinance

skyfinance New Member

Hello there. Please check out www.olympic.ph/iframe/karate.html That's the PKF site. Something of note: AAK's chairman, Pocholo Veguillas, has been branded PERSONA NON GRATA by the Philippine Olympic Committe and therefore is not recognized nor acknowledged by the PKF. You decide.

20. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Mudslinging -- Was Karate in the Philippines

Skyfinance,

You know, if you want to promote the KDA, then promote it based on the good things or its latest achievements. Why do the people of KDA have to resort to such tactics against the AAK? Why do you have to be afraid of the AAK since you guys are the "ligit" group under the PKF? Why can't your yudansha face the AAK Yudansha straight in the eye? Why do they always look away whenever there is an AAK yudansha present or keep away from the 5th floor of SM MegaMall B? I don't have a problem with the KDA promoting their flavor of Karate on the web, as long as it is done in good taste. But since you want to post links and defame the AAK, how about this:

http://archive.inq7.net/archive/2001-p/spo/2001/jun/12/spo_2-1-p.htm

What about the time when the Philippine Karate Team had no venue to practice due to their depute with Ed Ponce? Don't tell me you don't recall that?

BTW, Kyokushinkai Philippines, to my knowledge, do not actively participate in PKF activities. I'm not sure if they are members of the PKF. Does that mean that their Karate is not good? Do you think you'd last one minute with them in a real fight?

As I mentioned in my previous posts, keep the politics out. I've got more dirt to dish if you guys wanna play dirty. However, I believe that the moderators of this forum would appreciate the absence of mudslinging.

To anyone who wants to know about karate-do in the Philippines, stick to the quality of the schools instruction and products. Don't be swayed by defamation of some people. The AAK is still top-notch. Their track record speaks for themselves. They do not have a flashy website with catchy logos. They just teach good karate.

Hey, if you want Shotokan Karate and do not want to be involved in PKF politics, there's always the JKA under Sasaki. Hell, there is the SKIF at the Central Colleges of Philippines in Sta. Mesa, Manila. If you want good full-contact but Traditional karate, try the two known Kyokushinkai Organizations in the Philippines. There is also a good Shorin-ryu school at the Philippine Columbian Club near the UN Ave. in Manila. Anyone who promotes their club while putting down another should always be taken with more than a grain of salt.

Regards,

Ketong71