Karate in MMA

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Renegade80, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You're an idiot or a troll...no other explanation

No one can be this stupid by accident

2. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

What's his rank and style?

3. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

Shotokan, 6th Dan. Shihan means he can grade anyone. There is nothing higher than Shihan.

4. Hannibal

Bloody hell, it gets worse.........

5. Dean Winchester

Shihan roughly translates as model teacher or master teacher, whilst it certainly is an achievement it is just a teaching title and depending on the institution you will have individuals who are above that.

Who was his teacher? Just being nosey now.

6. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

@itf-tkd: kancho hirokazu kanazawa would disagree. funakoshi who was 5th dan would probably have a chuckle. i could even bring up the fact that hierarchical terminology is entirely dependent on the individual organization, as is ranking and how it relates to hierarchical terminology, but then we'd have to call the koryu folks (hi dean!) to set the record straight on all the terms that are (mis?)used by the japanese in gendai budo styles and then (doubly?) misused by non-japanese when they transmit these styles. that would get messy :p

7. Hannibal

Pretty sure Super Saiyan outranks it too....

8. itf-taekwondo

The highest graded leader in a style is called Shihan. Make of that what you will.

He defeated the current karate world champion in kumite. And my father was also nr 1 in Kata.

Is there anything else left besides teaching, Kumite, and kata?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  9. Dean Winchester

Depends on the style and system and where there are a number of shihan you may well get other titles used to signify who is senior out of them.

Under which organisation?

Kata is a vast and deep subject, you'll go a while before you exhaust it.

10. itf-taekwondo

It was the european karate championships, it was Shotokan. He won GOLD.

Are you going to tell me gold is not the best?

11. Dean Winchester

Sorry not sure what you are getting at there?

I asked for a little more info, I didn't attribute any value or lack of value to his competitive achievements.

Or is this you getting snarky because I've contradicted some of what you have said?

12. Hannibal

In what org?

In a masters division it could be a talent pool of 3, two of which have a gut that means they can't see their own feet...on it's own "gold medal" means little

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Next time you watch me compete don't be a stranger, come say hi! :D

Mitch

14. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Ability to pass on a sensible realistic view of MA the open mindedness to learn from outside sources. From the evidence you provide that could be improved. *severely toned down*

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  15. Hannibal

oooh!!!!! Some aftersun for that burn?

16. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Guys, I know things can be meant in jest, and I know some situations can become frustrating, but we have to draw the line at the personal, especially striking at loved ones of those we're involved in heated debate with.

I think we can all agree that's a step too far.

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  17. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

I am Van Damme, 6th dan shotokan

18. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

This is how my shihan explained it as well. Kata have "layers" of use and meanings. He studied for ~40 years just to get that knowledge and application. :O

19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

This tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of karate , especially Shotokan , incidentally , if your dad is an awesome Shotokan teacher and champion , why do you pin your colours to TKD ?

Names and dates or this is meaningless.

20. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Inc. name of organisation. Pretty much anyone can hold a competition and call it "European" or "International" because they say anyone can take part but the talent pool itself can be incredibly weak.