Karate Bashing

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Nails, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Nails

Nails Valued Member

On many different forum site sites I have read a lot of Karate bashing. It's too rigid, it's too this, it's too that.

This is not a style over style question but answer if you will.

If Karate was the only martial art on offer, which sub-style would you choose and why.

It would be interesting to see what the non-karateka populus would choose if they really had to.

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

I have never studied karate in any real depth but I have seen Enoida and Kanazawa anyone who suggests that they are not effective is baddly mistaken.

regards koyo

3. february

february Valued Member

I've been out of Karate for a couple of years now, but having had the honour of being able to see and train with the likes of Sensei's Enoeda, Kato and Ohta, anyone who thinks Shotokan can't be effective would be mistaken.

Disclaimer: as a JKD guy, you didn't hear me say that. ;)

4. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

The ones where you get to hit other people as hard as you can in competition. Preferably in the face.

5. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

I've done quite a few styles of Karate over the years, but the one I really want to spend some time studying is Kyokushin.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Whichever's closest to my house and has a good instructor.

I would like to give kyokushinkai style a go, not because I'm a "OMG TEH D34DLY FULL C0NT4CT0RZ!!!" whore but because it looks like a powerful style, a good physical workout and teaches some funky kicking techniques.

Pretty much that or shotokan.

7. path_one

path_one steps taken

If all that was on offer was Karate then I'd go with (no order) Shotokan, Uechi-Ryu, Kyokushin or Shorin-Ryu

love this clip btw! (sorry if repost)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38XQJgK7W0"]Enoeda kuzushi waza - YouTube[/ame]

8. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

The problem with karate is that it runs a gambit from strip mall dojos and non-contact sparring to the headbutting groin-kicking good time of Daido Juku. Recently, especially after seeing Lyoto Machida's successful use of Shotokan striking and footwork in MMA, I've come back to appreciate the better parts of my Shotokan training. I still think kata is mostly a waste of time, and I still find point break in kumite obnoxious, but it's definitely a step up from Final Fu style pointfighting.
    I feel like when you get rid of the more stylized movements, and strip it down to it's applied form, karate can be quite a respectable fighting art.

9. february

february Valued Member

Awesome clip and a beautiful example of changing direction and intention mid-flow, which is a skill we covet in JKD....funny that JKD was in part developed to take out classical Karate types!

I remember training with Sensei Enoeda at a seminar in the '90's. I was a kid and had never seen anyone like him, the guy just blew me away.

10. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Unfortunately I think Karate is a very misunderstood martial art. And often very badly taught.
    For example - instructors teaching the application of the first move of "Kihon" as a stepping in gedan birai against a kick, rather than say a groin strike. Instructors who interpret every block as a block and every attack as an attack without realising the deeper meaning which is that attacks and blocks are quite interchangeable.
    To me over my years of doing Karate - it is a very "layers of the onion" martial art. Things aren't necessarily the way they seem at first.
    Another example - the rigidity thing. This is only to train good definite technique. My instructor always makes a point of saying that in the later part of your Karate career, the object is for the moves to become more flowing, a common misconception is that Karate is robotic.
    Another misconception is that Karate is linear. In the katas are contained every type of punch a boxer uses, roundhouse kicks, even moves that are similar to a wrestler's "lariot". These are all most circular moves. The basics may be a touch more linear, but again, that's only training.

Having said that, sure there are what you might call "gaps" in Karate - but so there are in every martial art. No one art alone covers absolutely everything. They all have gaps. Just in different places.

11. acer

acer Valued Member

One style that include Sanbon Kumite,Kihon Kumite,Idorigata,Ohyo Kumite,Tantodori ,Tachidori - Shinken Shirahadori and much more..
    Meaning Wado Ryu..
    Not a style with only Kata and ippon or gohon kumite :rolleyes:

12. elektro

elektro Valued Member

I don't think that any Karate style ONLY has ippon and gohon kumite & kata does it? They must be missing bits out in those particular classes.....

13. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

:confused: eh? You like sanbon but hate gohon kumite? Do the two extra steps make all that much difference?

14. acer

acer Valued Member

I don’t hate anything..
    I just say NOT ONLY gohon kumite
    And there is a big difference between step back,do jodan uke and counter attack with gyaku zyki like Shotokan’s gohon kumite (lol) for example and Wado’s techniques...

15. acer

acer Valued Member

Shotokan

16. elektro

elektro Valued Member

Funny - I must be doing Shotokan with loads of extra stuff invented by my instructor then :confused:

You're seriously telling me that you think that Shotokan has only Kata, Ippon kumite, and Gohon kumite?

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Acer you obviously don't know what you're talking about in regards to shotokan (either that or you've been exposed to a REALLY bad club)

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I would choose kyokyushinkai if it was the only one we could have. But I would like people to bear in mind that shotokan used to be and in some cases still is a lot closer to my ideal of full-contact traditional karate than the general perception.

Besides, I kind of like kata.

19. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Of all the Karate styles, i would choose Dragon Warriors Nunchaku Karate Club.

Its close to my home, they have 15 instructors, colorful outfits, free first lesson, guarantee black belt within 2 years, no-contact sparring (i have work in the morning!) and we get a choice of free crisps, chocolate and liquid refreshments at the end of every class!

20. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

They're as good a reasons as any :cool: :D :D :D