Karate and Christ

Discussion in 'Karate' started by DafyddReed, Aug 13, 2005.

1. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

Thats true, but who TENDS to fit that description?.... :) why do people have such a problem with that. theres a differance between generalzing, stereotyping, and pointing out the obvious.

2. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

That's a very very harsh statement, which needs further explaining. you offend a lot of people with statements like these... if you really have such strong opinions about things, explain them better... saying these kinds of thing only put a lock on this a thread

you are right on some religious groups, but there are lots of good churches and communities out there, that don't indotrinate their people...

3. Bil Gee

Bil Gee Thug

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael T

"I will be the first to say it. I judge the catholics (and any other radical christian group) no different than Al Qaida or the KKK.

Although it's been quiet recently the catholic church does have an impresive history of crimes against humanity. From burning heretics, through to supporting adolf hitler they've certainly clocked up a body count that puts Al Qaida and the KKK to shame.

However, whilst this may be true of the church as an organisation, the individuals who make up that church, on the whole, are fairly harmless. This is different to the likes of Al Quaida and the KKK which make bigotry and hatred compulsory.

I assume that Mr T. was referring to the Catholic Church as an organisation and not to it's individual members.

4. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

Yeah, well... My bad..

but he sounded quite harsh

5. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Agree with you on everything but the WW2 bit. The catholic church never actively participated or assisted in war crimes. However they didn't do nothing to stop it either, which makes them guilty as well. Some bishops and other church leaders have dared to speak out, and were eventually even not arrested by the nazi's. I believe it was the bishop of Aachen (can't remember correctly), who was a very powerful church leader during the war, and he openly spoke out against the Nazis. Because they feared an uprising, they didn't remove the bishop from power.

That was what I meant. The average believer isn't a religious zealot at all. They're mostly just caring and upstanding people, who are open for reasoning and common sense.

6. eMTe

eMTe New Member

The statement was aimed at the group not the individuals. Not all catholics are radicals. Nor all religious groups or their followers. But often times the teachings of a group's leaders are extreme. These are people who want to control others, that is their job, to tell you how to behave.

Religion is man made. Spirituality is not, unless you are following someone else's spirituality, then you define man made and hence have a religion.

Remember, this thread is about a religious group saying MAs are a cult. That is a radically stupid statement. I haven't had to kill a goat in sparring for several months now.

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

lol, good one... ;)

8. gray fox

gray fox Valued Member

religion is mans way to a perfect life. But as long as humans live religion and life will never be perfect because man is corrupt

9. Scocia

Scocia Bringer of Pancakes

I always thought that the Vatican was guarded by the Swiss Guard, which is a group of volunteers, and that the only "vatican knights" are those that are given it as a title , much like the knighthood the Queen of England would award. :rolleyes:

10. dradondeaux

dradondeaux New Member

actually god has a dark side... he doesn't force us to be his servants, he allows bad things to happen... he allows people like hitler to exist. the universe and everything in nature is balanced thus yin and yang is a correct philosophy. Hard core christians are just dumb asses. stanic .. give me a break

11. dradondeaux

dradondeaux New Member

the vatican guard are the swiss version of our navy seals and just as well trained... behind all the stupid costumes and stuff is an extremely lethal fighting force with a full military arsenal at their disposal.

12. Scocia

I'm not sure I would liken them to the US Navy SEALS, the Swiss guard's role being a protective service/guard , and the SEALS a military special ops unit. Their traning would be very different.

EDIT: Typos

13. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Reclaim Martial Arts for jesus? Common man be real!

So you're saying some ARE drawing on demonic powers? Where do you get this trash from?

Spiritual trapping.... Whatever you're on you need to pass that to the left :D

Devil and Demonic powers mmmk....

LMFAO, just to sum these people up in one word:

SMACKTARDS

Didnt know I would have to quote so much, atleast the lazy ones see most of the stupidity in one post ;)

Originally Posted by Jesh
    Dumb assumptions, based on no evidence whatsoever. If there is a God, he too would combine the light and the dark within him... for without darkness, there would be no light.

nicely put Jesh, agree 100%

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  14. SickDevildog

SickDevildog Lost In The Sauce

Scocia they are kidding, read up on the fron of the thread. ;)

15. JFS USA

JFS USA New Member

Reasonable and fairly accurate. Staying within the CMA - TCMA framework there is an "out" to the perceived Demonic slant. The Buddhist tenet translates roughly as "The right to refuse an offer of violence."

From a Christian perspective ... all Human life is sacred ... apply this to your own safety (if you are following a Christian Doctrine) and you have justification - grounds for a martial response to violent situations.

Amazing how so very many peeps are quick to denounce those of Faith (regardless of dogma - tradition) as "nut jobs" when the real idiots are the agnostics and atheists ... fukwits who have sucked up into their own heads and live there. Good fate for them I think.

The symbol does not represent "God" (by whatever name) ... there is not a God as typically understood by those of many other traditions within the Taoist conceptual platform.

Yuan Fen is about as close as it gets ... kind of on par with the Cosmic Jester ... Hermes in the Greek tradition is close ... not a personalized Diety as such ... more of an archetype held within the collective unconscious of the Human Condition ... possibly genetically encoded.

16. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

17. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

No, it isn't (at least not the part about occult powers entrenched in Asian practice and academics). It's buying into the myth of Boddidharma and that the vast majority of Chinese Martial Arts come from the Shaolin/Daoist systems. The fact is that's just plain wrong. Yes, there are Buddist, Daoist and Muslim Chinese Martial Arts. However, there are numerous systems that come from military sources and non religious sources.

Further, there are many historians that are questioning how buddist the fighting monks were. By most accounts, the key fighters were actually revolutionaries who sought refuge in monstaries.

As far as Boddidharma, the vast amount of historical evidence demonstrates that he had no connection with the creation of Kung Fu. Proto-Long Fist predates both the creation of the Shaolin temple or the supposed visit of Boddidharma.

Are their martial arts with expressly incorporated relgious views? Yes. Silat, some forms of BaGua and Aikido are good examples. But for the most part the religious component of martial arts has been cultural played up through the medium of folk tale.

So no, the above content wasn't all that accurate.

- Matt

Last edited: Oct 2, 2005
  18. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Do you have to convert to Buddhism, Shinto, Daoism or any other religion or philosophy to practice a martial art?

No.

Will the cultural and philosophic elements help you understand the art?

Yes.

Notice the difference: I've studied the practices and beliefs of Catholicism, Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, Hindu's, Muslim’s and many others, but I'm not Catholic, Christian, Buddhist, Jewish or any other faiths mentioned.

These folks claim to be Christian but what they are is a cult with Christian trappings. Any organization that lifts itself by denigrading others is pure crap and should be avoided like the plague (this applies universally).

If an instuctor forbade you from crosstraining or repeatedly bashed another style. You can pretty much guess it's because he has little to offer and has chosen to bring others down rather then bringing himself up. What we have here is the same situation applied to religion.

19. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Yeah, the people at those websites are pretty screwed up. Here's another funny link: http://www.bible-truths.org/questions&answers/isboxing.htm

20. Scocia

Damn my haste :bang: