Kancho Shokei Matsui controversial video

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Dan93, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ont4C59A4k4"]Shokei Matsui Bad Kyokushin A Big Lie - YouTube[/ame]

Stumbled across this whilst watching Shokei Matsui's 40 man kumite fights as I am a big fan of him as a technical fighter and it really caused me to pause.

It shows him grappling, throwing illegal strikes i.e. head punches and a couple of head butts and kicking a prone opponent and claims that he lied regarding completion of the 100 man kumite.

I wonder if it has been doctored to look bad and maybe should consider the massive strain the ordeal causes and I am sure he was in simple fight or flight i.e. you dont fight to win but survive/endure the event.

Has anyone heard of any accusations before as this is the first I have heard of it and he is a respected fighter and teacher as far as I am aware and I personally would jump at the chance of training with him.

Osu!

Dan

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Is the Japanese commentary at around 03:40 from the original recording of the fights? Because it sounds like you can hear the commentator say "zutsuki" meaning "headbutt".

But I don't know what rules these 100 man fights take place under. Can you be disqualified or do you have a certain number of warnings or is it just that you're expected for your own good reputation to avoid unsafe techniques?

3. Spaceman89

Spaceman89 New Member

You don't have to win every fight you just have to not lose.

It's a long ordeal and the occasional slip is to be expected and from that video you can see the chart is on 99 during the last fight.

However there is a few things in there that aren't inkeeping with the kyokushin spirit. The headbutt especially.

4. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Heard it before but this is the first time I've seen the footage.

Personally for me, this doesn't do anything to discredit Matsui. He's going through a physical ordeal that frankly I doubt I could even manage 1/10th of. It looks horrifically hard (kinda fun though) and I think it's reasonable to expect some slips in control and discipline under that level of pressure.

It also does nothing to devalue the effort or dedication to his training IMO.