Kali Or Krav Maga?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by lemoore, Nov 11, 2004.

1. lemoore

lemoore New Member

Which of these systems woud you say is better? I know both have pro's and con's, but wondering what the general consensus is.

Peace

2. JamieD

JamieD Valued Member

I would say Kali because I study FMA, but as with anything if you have a poor standard in one art and a high in another then you can guess which would be "better".
    Are you looking to train in these ?, have you tried them out?.

3. lemoore

lemoore New Member

ha ! that is the default answer of all martial artists. OK, let me phrase my question differently..

Which system is more effective for self defence?

I study Aikido but am looking at pekiti-tersia Kali and Krav Maga to cross train in..

FMA? Forgive my ignorance

4. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

FMA=filipino martial art.

No one can say which is better or more effective...thats a matter of opinion and depends on the practitioner in question and how hard they train.

Krav Maga was designed by the Israeli military for use by soldiers. It is a straight to the point, no-nonsense self defense system designed for modern day combat situations and also teaches you how to disarm an armed attacker.

pekiti tersia kali is filipino in origin and uses weapons for fighting as well as bare hands. It is a close quarter system and doesn't use blocks but rather counter attacks. Thebare hand system uses hard "slaps" rather than closed fists as they believe it generated more power. It is also very effective and great for self defense and gets you usd to training with and against weapons.

personally i'd say go for pekiti tersia kali...but thats just my opinion.

go and check out both classes, talk to the instructors and students and just generally get a feel for both places.

this should give you a sense of what you prefer.

good luck! :)

5. lemoore

lemoore New Member

Cheers man, funny you say go and see a class because Pekiti-Tersia is not taught in the UK! Krav Maga, however, is taught right near my flat luckily enough, so will go and check that out in the next week or so..

I got in contact with Pekiti-Tersia Europe and i might visit a seminar in germany in two weeks..

6. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

sorry, i got the impression from your earlier posts that you had both options available to you.

7. lemoore

lemoore New Member

I do, but one is in Germany and the other is near me. I'm in London, UK. Flights to Germany are not expensive so i am hoping to go a seminar there on the 20th of this month. The rep in Germany said they are looking for someone to open up Pekiti in the UK and would support someone who wanted to take up the challenge. He said first attend a seminar and practice at home until the next seminar and build up that way - once you've taken Instructor course it would be possible to teach over here in the UK.

Where you from?

8. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

i'm from london too.

i'm surprised that you could become an instructor so quickly...surely it would take regular practise with an instructor to become proficient enough in the style to tech.

But i think its a great idea....it would be good to have a kali class in london.....the UK in general lacks FMA classes.

9. lemoore

lemoore New Member

It's not as quick as i make out, it takes time but the point is they support. not sure how many years it would take but if you're interested i can send you some links..

10. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

ok, kool. some links would be great. :)

11. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Once you've sampled both it would be great if you could report back on your experiences in both styles.

The question of "Which style is better for self defence" crops up alot and there is usually no one style that has it all for everyone. There is also a lot of bias towards ones own MA. Cross training is an excellent idea for improving your skills.

I look forward to your response.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There may be no pekiti tersia in the area. But surely there are other FMAs available in your area. The difference between pekiti tersia and other FMAs is not that pronounced. And you could probably find regular training if you opened your scope a bit.

Stuart

13. JKD guy

JKD guy New Member

krav

I have done both pekiti tirsia kali and krav maga (to green belt level). Both are excellent, but krav maga is by far a better all-around system for self-defense. Kali is very into weapons, which is good, but I would say that kali is more for advanced people. I mean, in most real fight situations, a guy will throw a punch or choke you or grab you. Krav maga deals with that much better than kali. However, kali is excellent if you want to learn timing, zoning (getting out of the way of an attack), distance, etc.

Pekiti tirisia kali is VERY hardcore. I studied once for a weekend with the founder of the system, and it is a very serious martial art that has some deadly stuff in it. At that level, it is not for the faint of heart !

If I were you, if you have no experience, and want to learn realistic self-defense, do krav. Later, if you want to get deeper into weapons, timing, etc., do kali.

That is what I did. I am glad I did krav maga first. Krav maga to me is the "foundation" of my whole self-defense. If I am getting into my car, and dudes attack me, I know how to react. I just "do it", after doing krav for 3 years.

However, kali has given me something to. It taught me a lot about, for example, using a weapon agaisnt someone (a stick, etc.), or just slapping someone. Also, kali teaches you to strike backhand, which in a real fight can be very useful. Being able to hit from any angle is VERY useful in a real fight, as you often will not be in your best position. You might have to execute a backhand strike to a guy's neck from an odd position. Kali is good for that.

Related to FA arts is silat, which I also think is good for real SD, and maybe easier to learn. silat is like reality grappling for the street. Some very cool stuff in there, too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  14. lemoore

lemoore New Member

That sums it well for me. I think i prefer the sound of Krav Maga. I have found a class near me which is taught by someone call Golan Levy. Have you heard him?

Can you give me a few examples of the type of techniques taught in krav?

I'm of the opinion that if it is Israeli, it must be seriously dangerous. I've been to Israel and those soldiers fear no one.

15. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Go for the Pekiti Tirsia, it is more than just effective, it is a complete combat system, I am sorry but many of Krav Magda's weapons defence technqiues are somewhat questionable. From what I have seen of their displays and techniques some techiques are not bat, the others are how shall I say, dangerous to the defender to say the least. I mean kicking a knife froman attackers hand:confused: .

Tried that once (when I was young and stupid) and got the scar's to prove it.

Regards

Pat

16. Pat OMalley

No offence but I think you need to study more FMA before making a comment like this.

Regards

Pat

17. Pat OMalley

Go see Bob Breen in London, he is well versed in Pekiti Tirsia. I've done a fair bit myself in the past too.:)

18. Pat OMalley

You need to do a little more research, You would be surprised just how much FMA there is in the UK. Doce Pares, Lapunti, Modern Arnis, Latosa Eskrima, Kalis Illustrisimo, Kapatiran Arnis, Black Eagle Eskrima, Warriors Eskrima, Rapid Arnis, Kali JKD, Dog Brothers, And Pekiti Tirsia via some of the older FMA instructors in the UK plus there are a few more styles that have slipped my memory at the moment.

Regards

Pat

19. Pat OMalley

Just remembered another one, Modern Arnis:)

More to follow soon once my brain kicks into gear.:bang:

20. gedhab

gedhab Valued Member

In London there isn't that much and the classes that are available are not very central and prices are generally quite high.