Kalarippayatt- The Indian Martial Art

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by KickChick, Jun 10, 2004.

1. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

http://www.kalarippayatt.co.uk/ .... Kalarippayatt is the martial art of Kerala and this school based in London. This ma style is many thousands of years old and incorporates strikes, joint locks, grappling, and weapons.

The modern-style of Kalarippayatt comprises many different regional varieties of fighting that have survived in India.

2. Master J

Master J "No style, no limitation"

I saw a program on TV about it. It was called Deadly Arts. This program does be on sometimes and they look at different martial arts in it. It was on the Adventure channel. It looked kinda strange though. They used a lot of weird weapons and even sheilds. Their moves were really strange too.

3. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

This site is run by Sifu Paul Whitrod (seen in the photos & video), my mantis teachers' mantis teacher. Top bloke.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

There's about Five or Six classes in Central London alone, a couple are a mile from my house. I went with my Girlfriend to see them. They were really interesting from a Martial as well as from an Anthroplogical POV.

Paul Whitrod has a really good Rep as a teacher. I know a couple of people who've trained in various arts under him including Kalarippayatt, Mantis etc. He also does some Thai Arts such as Krabi Krabong. I believe that he is intending to compete in NHB/ MMA tournaments now.

5. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

For kalari, i would suggest reading book on Kalari by Philip B. Zarelli(sorry about spells )
    cool site...
    one of the Indian Guru in Kalari gives Condensed course(6 months or 1 yr) here in Hyderabad... he's the same person with whom Philip trained...
    -TkdWarrior-

6. Sandy

Sandy Valued Member

WOW! Cool stuff. I didn't even realise it was taught outside India.

7. Prajith kalari

Prajith kalari New Member

Hi dud i m practising kalaripayat. Kalaripayat has many styles such as southern ,central and northern styles. Actualy paul withrod studied south style which uses hiting presure point on body.

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Please stop resurrecting threads that have been dead for several years. Thank you.