Jutsu Kai Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Mad Ahab, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Mad Ahab

Mad Ahab Valued Member

Has anyone ever heard of jutsu kai karate, and could you provide some info. about this style? There's a club nearby and I would like to know a bit more before I decide to join...

2. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

Never heard of it... but from Google'ing they seem to have a decent network and a reasonable set of instructors... none of the high grades look 'young' as such... and the big man is an 8th Dan rather than Soke so it is usually a good sign.

3. yann

yann Valued Member

Hi, if it's the jutsu kai that i know, it's run by bernard creton (creighton?)
    It is a kyokushin offshoot i think, I knew someone who trained with me in kyokushinkai then left & joined jutsu kai-he told me it was very similair to kyokushin, with lots of emphasis on body conditioning & full contact kumite etc.
    I remember watching bernard creton v jeff whybrow in the kyokushinkai final
    78??? perhaps someone can refresh my memory? whybrow won with an ushiro geri i think???
    hth-yann

4. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

I trained in jitsu Kai back in the mid eighties when I was about 10. I was fortunate at the time to train under Sensei Bernard creton, Sensei Albert Burton, Sensei Lee Costa and Sensei Keith Jenkins. From what I can remember the style was an offshoot of Kyokoshin with adults competing under the Kyokoshin style knockdown rules of which my dear old dad still has his trophies from his competition days :D , although due to the hard style of training they went through in his day he can no longer train due to various injurys to his back and hips.

5. Mad Ahab

Mad Ahab Valued Member

Thanks guys,

That was helpful... The local club looks like they have a no nonsense approach, and I was well impressed with my taster session. Plenty of seniors to spar with too...

6. Mad Ahab

Mad Ahab Valued Member

Devildog,

Could you ask your dad what are the main differences between kyokushin and jutsu kai?

7. Bloke

Bloke Finally got married bloke

Yann - Shihan Jeff Whybrow did beat Hanshi Creton in the BKK Open final in 1979 - he dropped him with an Ushiro Geri - amazing kick.

8. stump

stump Supersub

Trained with them for a year when I lives in Hastings - mainly in Kickboxing rahter than their traditional karate classes. They seemed like a good group - a really good work ethic during training sessions and no frills / no nonsence approach....you could do a lot worse!

9. yann

yann Valued Member

Bloke, thanks for the memory reflash! i've got the fight on ye olde vhs somewhere, (wish i had it on dvd) ,)
    both fighters totally worn out, then jw pulls a last technique out (from who knows where) ahhhhhhhh........... pure knockdown karate :)

devildog, i trained under lee costa, who moved from bkk to jutsukai,
    imho he was (is?) a great instructor in karate technique with great emphasis on kumite-he was a 3rd dan bkk last time i trained with him,haven't trained with the others but jk sounds 'proper' or 'kosher'...
    have a look & a lesson :)
    regards, yann

10. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

Sorry for taking so long to reply to your post.
    My father said having done both Kyokushin and justsu Kai there were very little differences apart from political disputes in the early days.

11. Mad Ahab

Mad Ahab Valued Member

Thanks Devildog

12. Martin Marshall

Martin Marshall New Member

Hi, I’m still in contact with Sensei Albert Burton. I trained with Jutsu Kai until Sensei Burton and Sensei (Now Kancho) Bernard Creton split. I carried on training with Sensei Burton until his club closed. I understand he now has a small home Dojo and practices Goju Ryu with a small number of students.

Mitch likes this.
  13. Martin Marshall

I believe the YouTube clip is called 'God hand' ? A great clip. I trained with Jutsu Kai up to 1st Kyu. A good style to train with for sure.

14. Dan Bond

Dan Bond New Member

Hi Martin,
    I too trained under Sensei Albert Burton at Bellfields Estate, Guildford back in the day. He was a true inspiration and gave us all a sense of commitment (don't every quit!). I think I still have an audio recording somewhere of when he appeared on the local radio station and gave an effective demonstration to the host.
    I'd also love to know more about Sensei Albert Burton and perhaps stay in touch if you have any link or connection I could make? Thanks.

15. Martin Marshall

Hi Dan..

I started training with Jutsu Kai in ‘86 in the new Farnham club started by Sempai Dennis Clifton (then a 1st Kyu) he was recruiting members from Vokes in Normandy as he had started working there. I’ll try and get a link to you for Albert if I can. He is on fb if you can find him. What grade were you with Jutsu Kai in the ‘80s? Your name rings a bell but I can’t place you?

regards,

Martin.

16. Dan Bond

Dan Bond New Member

Hi Martin,
    I believe it was orange belt possibly with purple stripe but alas I cannot be sure as my Gi is long gone. It was probably back in 1985 or 86 aged 15/16 at the time. I remember going to Camberley and Crystal Palace (or did I dream that) to watch tournaments. If you can find any links to Albert that would be great.
    Best wishes,
    Dan

17. Martin Marshall

Hi Dan, I trained at Camberley too, there was a group of about 5 or 6 who started around the same time and we trained almost every night around the Surrey Jutsu Kai clubs. Even down to Tunbridge Wells on a Wednesday night! Albert's fb link.

https://www.facebook.com/albert.burton.507

Best wishes..

Martin.

18. Dan Bond

Dan Bond New Member

Hi Martin,
    Many thanks. I'm sure you enjoyed it as much as I did...Albert was so inspirational for me and his discipline of "another 100 press-ups" helped me realise anything is possible if you believe in it enough!
    Best wishes,
    Dan

19. Martin Marshall

Good chatting with you Dan, I did look for you on fb but there are a lot of’Dan Bond’s out there lol. Hope you catch up with Albert

20. Dan Bond

Dan Bond New Member

Hi Martin, thanks. Dan is actually my nickname. I tend to use it online. I did have a look at Albert's FB profile but it looks closed to friend requests. Anyway he remains an inspiration and always will be.