Just started Martial Arts

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Anwolf, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Rider

Rider Everybody loves cakes! :D

Patience is a good thing to have...sometimes the best strike is the one you timed perfectly :)

Although i must abmit i hate waiting for things...i recently orded a punchbag and stand...felt like forever...and when they did come "I HAVE TO PUT IT TOGETHER!!!" lmao :p ... obviously i knew about it but, its still irratating :)

2. The warrior

The warrior Valued Member

Before I got my sticks I just used what was around the house. I cut a broom stick to size and use that. They didn't last long but it got the job done until I got the real thing.

3. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I don't think my parents will let me chop up a broom-stick....
    Ah well, it should hopefully be here by the end of the weekend.

4. Rider

Reminds of me when i first worked with a staff

I eventually brought one at a grading, but before that i was training with a broken sweeping brush :p

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I remember doing the same.

When I started I was so desperate to start. I had saved £10.00, which was the cost of the kung fu pants I wanted. As I could not afford the travel I walked 16 miles round trip to get them.

Seems mad looking back.

6. Rider

Lol same with being desperate to start :)

I remember going to the grading and being asked why i was using a "toothpick" lmao :p

although i noticed turning up to the gradings early sometimes...alot of the earlyer belts buy there staffs at the gradings and...well its funny seeing what they come up with and use before they buy one... one of the guys i spoke to was using a curtain pole :s

i have ended up making some equipment now though...i've become quite friendly with my dads tools in the garage...especally the sander...i've managed to make practice spears and staffs...most complex was a hook sword but that took forever and i still have not got around to making the second one lmao :)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  7. The warrior

The warrior Valued Member

It does seem mad at first but if you think about it when these arts where first thought of what did the people use. Most likely it was tools and other stuff They already had.

8. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

They arrived this morning :D

9. Simon

Cool, get practicing.

10. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I just did :)

11. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

When you're sparring, do people actually use the techniques you learn, because when I watched two guys sparring at my club, It didn't really seem like they were, it looked like they were just whacking at each-other with sticks :S

When I watch my master spar, it seems way better, but I'm not sure if he was actually going all out, or if he was going at much slower speeds.

Also, is Eskrima effective in real life, like if somebody attacks/mugs you in a street. The techniques I've seen do look like they are very effective, but I'm not sure if they would work against an actual attacker.

Oh, and is it spelt Eskrima or Escrima?

12. Simon

When you see the guys sparring in your class I assume they are wearing armour. This is the sport side of the art.

Technique is like shadow boxing, so my guess is you have been shown the Figure X, Plansa, Abaniko and Vertical Redoble, which is the white belt requirement. Later on this will develop into techniques such as Hulog, Saka, Bridge, Kurbada, Chakra Arko and so on.

From here we move onto twirling, which is very big in Doce Pares.
    Doce Pares has been critisised for twirling, but it is importand to develop the fluidilty to be able to hit correctly and move smoothly through the different techniques without and adjustment. One move leads into another.

Anyone can hit with a stick, but without twirling you will definately have a caveman approach. Skill in technique is developed through twirling. It is like shadow boxing, or a golfer doing his practice swing. .

Once you understand the technique and are a better at twirling you will develop Ammara, which is your fighting style.

Doce Pares does teach set Ammera, but as you develop you are encouraged to develop you own Ammera from your twirling. This will be exclusive to you and will be your own fighting style.

This should be what you are seeing when the guys spar in your class.

Yes it is effective, one of the better arts I would argue.

The good thing about our Eskrima is the cross over between weapons and empty hands.
    I have seen Kung Fu styles where once you reach black belt they give you a weapon and you have to learn a complete new set of skills. With Eskrima the stick, knife, bankaw etc are all based around the 12 Angles of attack. Nearly all of the stuff I do with the stick I can do empty handed, or with any weapon I may have in my hand, such as a set of keys.

I'm sure Master Nimesh has told you that Guba Doce Pares is not just weapons. It has a complete empty hands system, which includes punching, locks, chokes, throws, locks etc. Kicks, standing grappling, dumog etc are also included.

You will see both spellings used, but we always use Eskrima.

13. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

For the twelve angles, aren't the second and the twelfth the same angle?

Btw, the guys who I have seen sparring were only blue and yellow belts, the blue being the son of Master Desai. I think the blue-belt has already started developing his own movements, as he does variations of the normal counts.

14. Simon

Check the link, read all posts and check out the chart. Beyond that talk to Master Desai. I would hate to show you something slightly different without his say so. We all have slight differences to the way we teach and he is the Master after all.

BTW, that chart is not an official Doce Pares one, just one I did as a learning aid for my students.

15. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

After looking at the chart, I think we are doing the same angles. It's just we don't really mention the 'optical nerve', we just get told to hit to the side of the head like in angle 2.

16. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

I'm going to a trial Ju-jitsu class tonight, and I was wondering, is it a good idea to start a new art when I have only just started my first one, or does it not matter?

17. Simon

It is your call. Many of us do two arts without any problem.

Just give yourself plenty of rest time.

18. Rider

Agree :)

Aslong as you can put the lessons in...and have plenty of rest time...it should be alright

the only time i think it can really be a issue is if the two are very simlar because you can start doing for instance tae kwon do and tang soo do...i've heard because of simlar aspects it can lead to confusion

When they are very different...boxing and karate...jujitsu and kickboxing...the list could go on for ages...its less a problem

This is mostly just my opinion however its personal choice :)

good luck however if you do deside to do two and try to give them a good level of time each dont neglect one for the other :)

19. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Well, I've returned from the practice class, and I'm definitely going to go next week as well. I will definitley not get the two confused, as Ju-jitsu is mainly locks and throws, but Eskrima is more striking and blocking. It's good because between the two, I should get a pretty decent set of techniques.

20. Rider

Thats good...i was mearly giving example of when cross training can cause problems...but for the very most parts...its very good i've done it myself and personally found no problems but others have and i see why...when i started tang soo do some of the shotokan techniques were different so i had to adapt however i trained in these at different times so i didnt have as much a problem as i might have had :)

Its good though that you have found someone you enjoy (or two things)...aslong as you put regular lessons in you will be on the right path :)

Good luck in your training its good to see you enjoyed/liked the other class aswell :)