Just got mugged by two dudes with a 'knife'

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Anwolf, May 29, 2015.

1. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

If you give them your wallet the terrorist wins.

2. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Sure. Thanks for the enlightenment :rolleyes:

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You say this but you're in HK where filipino immigration is massive...

4. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

Filipino? I have spent some time in the Philippines. It's very rare to find someone who practices one of their knife arts. Their (old) god practices boxing.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Their police units devote more time to training with knives than most others (Can't say if its more than in Glasgow :D), from what I understand.

Which is, of course, what one would find in a region where knives are rare.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

When you talk crap you speak your mind

7. 47MartialMan

Geez, those small young looking folk seems they can do damage. Why do they have guns on their sides

8. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

You kidder, you.

9. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Because a knife isn't appropriate for every scenario?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  10. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

I assume a contrived pose being for the benefit of those such as me who are in a hurry for troll-scran and don't have the time to whip up a three-course.

Empty-clip drill of some sort?

I assume service issue training replicas. The knives seem to be trainers as well.

Maybe we are way over-thinking it :(

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. 47MartialMan

I was being frivolous

12. combatarts

combatarts Valued Member

What's the point of learning martial arts if you don't defend yourself?

13. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

I'm a long way from being any sort of expert, but I'd say there was a world of difference between self-defence and martial arts.

14. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

You are not, as a martial artist, under any obligation to give a demonstration of your skills, or dish out beatings to those that 'deserve it'. They should be kept in reserve until there really isn't any other option, and in this case, the OP found another option. Well done.

In this example things could easily have escalated and then the OP would have had to use physical skills. But against 2 people who are at least potentially armed? The potential to get stabbed or stomped is pretty high, and the chance for one of the girls he was walking home to have got hurt as well was very real. Strategically, not fighting was the right move

The object is to get home in one piece. No visit to the police cells, hospital or morgue. Job done.

15. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Oh and if you want to have a fight, the world is full of gyms, dojos, rings and cages where you can get it out of your system

16. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

17. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I agree.

I keep telling my mate he should keep his Yumi on him at all times, personally I'm thankful for this weather it means I don't look like a flasher walking around with my long coat and sword, although queuing at the bar gets a bit awkward.

"Sorry mate I didn't mean anything it's just my kodachi sticking in your back".

18. 47MartialMan

But not all martial art are meant for one to defend, and not all martial arts actually teach proper defense

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Defend yourself how? Sometimes the most effective form of self defense is to chose to defend your body and not your possessions or your ego.

20. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I disagree.

I should be allowed to cut the limbs off an overly aggressive skate boarder if he's in my way.