Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. 227 BPM @ 42.......... hummm...
    Maybe you could measure your heart beat (instead of inferring it) just after the last sprint Mitch - it only takes 15 seconds & a watch. :)

Just to calibrate.

Osu!

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have to say that I think it's a glitch with the monitor, it does this sometimes. I know how I feel as I approach the 180s and I don't think that's happening.

Mitch

3. Mitch

I've had nothin to report for ages. My physio warned me off running for a while to try ad get the swelling down on my knee, and I had a ton of stuff on at home, so outside my normal teaching/training it's all been quiet.

What I have been doing is icing my knee every day, keeping the ibuprofen manufacturers in business and doing my rehab exercises.

All of which paid off because I saw the physio yesterday and she gave me the go ahead to get back into running/training slowly and gently. :D

So yesterday was 1 mile in about 8 minutes to see how it held up, followed immediately by 20 minutes with an ice pack. The goood news is that it seems to have held up fine!

I can't tell you how pleased I am :D

Mitch

4. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I guess I've missed this, but what's up with your knee?

Maybe we should have a 'God damn our knees' support group?

5. Mitch

Medically speaking I've got, "a big hurty lump" below my kneecap. It's some inflamationa and maybe calcification of the tendon.

I actually hurt it some more when my lovely, young, blonde physio lady told me she's working hard to bring my swelling down and I sniggered so much I fell off the treatment bench.

Mitch

6. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Do you have chondromalacia? What kind of treatment are they giving you? Prognosis, etc? I fractured my patella (kneecap) when I was 19, so I can relate to knee pain. Weight training has virtually taken it away from me fortunately.

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This! Can I join, please?!

8. Mitch

*Quick Google*

Don't think it's that, no. That sounds nasty! What I have is a lump at the top of my shin/just below the kneecap. It is prominent when I flex the knee.

It was painful to the touch, caused pain when the knee was flexed and I was putting force through it (think standing up from a chair) or when kneeling/crawling on it (think giving my little girl horsey rides or getting down to eye level on Frodocious).

I think it's tendonitis effectively, so the treatment is ice, ibuprofen, rest, support and some physio exercises to strengthen the knee.

Mitch

9. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Chondromalacia (or patellofemoral pain as it's now known) is what I've been whining about, Mitch

10. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

"GDK" Support Group President here! :cool:

Were Going to need a secretary of ice packs Frodo!

11. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

I never herd of tendonitis coming with lumps. Did they give you any sort of diagnosis? Perhaps it is your bursa and you have a type of bursitis?

12. Mitch

I've had tendonitis in my achilles which resulted in thickened areas so I think it's a similar thing. I'll ask for a more detailed diagnosis next time.

I trained at TKD tonight, and though it ended up being a fairly light session I was still pleased that I cam through it OK.

I'm icing it right now, so hopefully I'll be OK for a mile or so tomorrow and maybe some light weights. :)

Mitch

13. Mitch

Sympathies Llama, sounds nasty.

Mitch

14. nekoashi

nekoashi Valued Member

Sorry if I am being a bit of a pest, but I love to learn.

15. Mitch

Hey, no worries nekoashi, happy to help. :)

I'll ask next time I talk to my physio, and talk through how I think my gait when running may have caused it.

Mitch

16. Mitch

So, I made a decision I've rarely made before, and decided to actually listen to my physio's advice about building up gently rather than getting carried away :D

Today was a little under 1.5 miles at a few seconds over 8 minute mile pace. I did a couple of minutes of warm up, building from walking to jogging at a gentle pace, then hit a good pace and kept it going, apart from a break to take a nice photo which I'll post in a bit.

I got my heart rate up to around HR maximum and really enjoyed it. It's a chilly 7 degrees c here, so it was a lovely crisp morning to be out running through the autumn leaves.

I'll be getting some ice on my knee just as soon as the cat gets off my lap :)

Mitch

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Alternating heat and ice, good job! :p

18. Mitch

My knee was feeling pretty sore today, so I didn't run and did a couple of good, long, icing sessions.

I was in two minds about going to karate tonight to be honest; the sessions are always tough and the knee was still aching. I'm determined not to set myself back or drag this out as I have in the past by jumping back into things too soon. But I've missed the last two sessions so I decided to go for it and just swallow my pride and cry uncle if it wasn't up to things. I may have also wrapped it in lots of elastic.

If anything the session seems to have done it some good :) There were a few moments I was worried, but it feels free, relaxed and pain free now. Let's hope it's OK tomorrow and maybe a light run will be in order.

This is day four of a great week's training; TKD Mon, Tues and Weds, Karate tonight, TKD black blet class tomorrow and a seminar for three hours on Saturday morning.

Did I say something about not jumping straight back into things? :D

Mitch

19. Mitch

Well that came back to bite my behind.

Saw the physio on Monday and I'm off TKD/Karate training for a couple of weeks. I'm allowed gentle runs building up from a mile slowly and at a slow pace.

I was really peeved about this Monday/Tues, got quite discouraged and annoyed with myself for doing too much.

Anyway, today I did a very gentle 1.6 miles ( I know, I said 1 mile, but a good chunk of that .6 was going from walking to jogging, honest). I didn't get above maybe 75% HR Max and took around 20 minutes, almost more of a quick walk than a jog.

Still, if that's what it takes to get back past this injury that's what it'll have to be. I'll now get psyched up to beating it by doing.... gentle strolls for a few minutes.

Mitch

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm empathising with you over your knee issues! I've had to drop all lower body work to try to get mine sorted out! It sucks muchly! :woo: