Just deserts ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by hatsie, May 2, 2014.

1. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I care because, while morality is a fiddly subject, I strongly oppose any state body adhering to petty emotion. Its why I oppose executions. Dude's removed from society, its done. Allowing things like this to happen to people, and being ecstatic over it on top of that, is wrong. I don't see how people can condone that behaviour and still feel superior or different to the people they want it to happen to.

That's for a general convict. This guy didn't even get a trial. But wait, he's pptentially a baby rapist so who cares right?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I'm sure you will. Like I said, issues.

3. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

In actuality, he's not really removed from society.

He's just part of another society and keeping him alive costs money, which comes from our society. I know that people on deathrow cost more money than lifers, but that's a problem with the way they execute people.

To the bolded, those are not aimed at me are they? :confused:

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So we should dispose of people that are no longer useful to society and cost us money?

5. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Yes. In fact, we should annihilate everyone who opposes my ideals.

Come on, dude.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Making the decision to kill someone on economic grounds is not the moral thing to do.
    Especially in America which is the richest nation that's ever been.
    America not got enough money to treat prisoners humanely?*

*I know this particular thing was in Brazil.

7. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Do you think it's the moral thing to do to have good people paying taxes to psychopaths so they can keep living their lives?

I don't see the point in wasting money on monsters. If anything, that's immoral in my eyes.

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

"Is rape and torture wrong, daddy?"

"Well, it all depends. Sometimes raping and torturing someone is good. If you ever want to rape and torture someone, you just have to ask yourself if they deserve it. As long as you think they do, then it is a good thing, and will make daddy sleep better."

9. David Harrison

Yeah, because death row in the U.S. saves them a ton of cash.

Where do you draw the line for who is productive for society?

What about people with dementia? Or kids born with severe disabilities?

Pack them all off on a special train?

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  10. David Harrison

Yes.

As heartbreaking as it is, nothing can be done for the poor dead child.

There is nothing that will balance the scales of justice.

By condoning such cruelty, you take one step toward being the monster you hate.

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Keeping the psychopath's alive (given that being a psychopath isn't a choice those people made one day but a result of genetics, upbringing, injury, brain damage etc) is exactly what makes us good people and not psychopath's.
    It's kind of what seperates us from them.
    Monsters don't exist. These are deeply disturbed people. Demonise them all you like but they are just sad sick people to me. I pity them if anything.
    For sure they should be taken away from society forever but I'm not going to lower myself to their level and feel good about the exact same thing happening to them I'm condeming them for.

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Like I said, that's a problem with the way they carry out their death sentences.

Drawing a line is easy, but it's a lot of work. For now, just assume that I want incurable monsters to die.

I don't understand why the people on this forum keep insisting on putting words in my mouth. People with dementia and kids born with severe disabilities? What the...?!

Does everyone on this forum think I'm a sociopath or something? :confused:

13. David Harrison

:p

Sounds expensive to me.

You agree that torture is just for personal satisfaction. I don't see how death isn't the same.

I was merely extrapolating from your statement that people with "no value or potential as human beings" should be exterminated by the state.

You don't see how, over time, that has the potential to lead to some very blurred lines in what we justify as a society?

14. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I chose the word psychopath, but I meant serial killers and people who keep raping children.

Yes, they're not like that by choice. Yes, their existence is tragic and I feel very sorry for them. Everyone should be able to enjoy life like a normal person. But that's just not an option for these people.

Keeping them alive in a place where they can't fulfill their dark desires is probably extremely agonizing to them. On top of that, they suffer even more from the abuse they receive from fellow inmates.

Seriously, what's the point in keeping them alive?

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

This may be of interest to you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage

While the extent of his personality change is by no means clear I think it's pretty certain that brain damage, brain make-up and brain chemistry are very clearly involved in the formation of personality and the regulation of behaviour.
    And it can change due to disease, injury and other factors.

16. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

Human beings, yes. I meant normal. And with normal I mean, not raping and slaughtering the people and kids around you.

I'm sure I don't have to explain the part where I was being sarcastic...

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

By trying to live and create a society that upholds better morals than mob rule, lynch mobs, vendettas or personal feelings.
    Leading by example rather than being hypocritical.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What are you even on about?
    Are you the ultimate arbiter of who lives and dies based on how you feel about them?
    Because...that's a really bad basis for a justice system.

19. David Harrison

So only murderers?

How would you make the U.S. death sentence mechanism more efficient at killing people?

No, you don't. Notice the smiley.

20. David Harrison