jun hwan bup

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Lumberjack, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Valued Member

Anybody have any good tips on how to better execute this set of techniques?

2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

When I read 'execute' I immediately thought about sending this set to the gallows. But like the saying goes, 'strike hard, strike fast...' Besides being a total demonstration set, we learn to drop our weight and spin fast in a straight line. I find it always helps to pull back, open my hands, then move. For the three when you grab them, definitely grab them first and then pull back.

3. Lumberjack

Lumberjack Valued Member

Maybe execute was not the best choice of words, lol, as I actually like the set. I see where it could be thought of as a demonstration set, although I tend to look at it as a training set to develop a powerful spinning motion while dropping low and to direct that momentum to a precise angle.
    One issue I have is clearing my partners arms over my head especially on the 2 handed grabs when my partner grabs with significant strength. I have been playing with the positioning of my grabbed hand and it seems to help some. For instance if I get my hand on an outside angle from their grip it seems easier to raise my arm up as I drop under. Also a tighter back step (not stepping to far from my partner) feels like it creates some slack (making it easier to spin) which is then "taken up" at the end to affect my partner.
    Just trying to explore some ideas.

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

This is definitely a set that teaches principles hence "bup". I'm not good at translating the Korean terms, Ssangkall perhaps can shed some light on the correct translation. I tend to focus on the You Won Hwa aspect as well as many of the subjects already stated. When grabbed and pulled I believe that you're suppose to convert that energy back into your opponent thus interrupting his balance. Keeping your body low and maintaining your own balance is key to successful application.

5. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

轉換法;전환법;Jeon Hwan Beop;Turn-Return Law(literally)

I honestly think the whole set is practice for the last three moves. Even if we are low and fast, the distance we are from our partner is so far we NEED to grab our partner (if there is any real resistance) to better keep out balance centered for that last 180° as we drop our knee to the floor. Just my two weeks of playing with it while the boss is in korea. Will ask him when he gets back for some insight.