Jujutsu books...

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by rob0107, Jan 26, 2013.

1. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

I'm currently training in a style of jujutsu called Goshin Ryu Jujutsu It's a self defence orientated syle based in Jujutsu, Judo, Karate, Eskrima and BJJ to name a few, and was just wondering if anyone could recommend some books on jujutsu or one of the other styles mentioned that shows techniques and could help supplement my training?

Also has anyone read this book, and would it be useful to me?
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Small-Circle-Jujitsu-Mike-Lee/dp/0897501225/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359222183&sr=8-1"]Small-Circle Jujitsu: Amazon.co.uk: Mike Lee, Wally Jay: Books[/ame]

Cheers

2. Frozen Ghost

Frozen Ghost Valued Member

I trained with Wally and Leon Jay. Small circle JJ is a style that uses the small circle concept to lock joints. It's not incompatible with what you are doing but is different. It is situationally very effective.

Hope that helps.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Jujitsu University by Saulo Ribero - everyone should own that book

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

well im guessing your teacher or his teacher or anyone involved has a bjj pedigree but in any case, there is a great book called "Jiu jitsu university" by saulo ribero.

will help your ground work

5. Hannibal

Scooped by the Dr!!! Bwahahahaha!!

6. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Ah thanks very much I'll check it out. Any more suggestions would be very much appreciated :)

And my sensei is a 12th Dan Bujinkan Taijutsu (forgot that in the list), 5th Dan Jujutsu and 2nd dan Judo, but he regularly trains and spars with the BJJ guys next door, and teaches us some of their groundwork when we train so we learn to defend against dominant positions and quickly finish if possible or, if not, to stand up as quickly as possible so we can run away or defend against multiple attackers.

Thanks

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

judo and BJJ books will be the most help, as well SD books from people like rory miller etc.

8. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Thanks very much, I'll check out Rory Miller and see if they're the kind of thing I'm after.
    Think I'm going to start with this book first as I've heard a few people recommend it:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jiu-jitsu-University-Saulo-Ribeiro/dp/0981504434/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2P1XXYZ28LXMJ&coliid=I3XJMS2AZG7Q8"]Jiu-jitsu University: Amazon.co.uk: Saulo Ribeiro, Kevin Howell: Books[/ame]

Not sure how relevant it will be for self defence as I think it's for sport BJJ (correct me if I'm wrong) but still looks really interesting

9. Dead_pool

The ability to survive and escape bad positions, and then hold dominant positions and choke people out, is directly relevent to SD, as is running.

10. Hannibal

As Fusen has indicated already this is a false dichotomy - if you cannot defend a sport technique then you have even less chance against an "illegal" or "ill intended" technique

11. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

Makes sense. If I get a chance when I'm a bit more experienced with my style I'm tempted to have a few lessons in BJJ to spar with them and see what it's like.

Also found a couple of other books on Amazon which seem to have got fairly good reviews and aren't too expensive so am going to check these out too:

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Just-Ju-Jitsu-Ken-Cole/dp/1861268491/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=2P1XXYZ28LXMJ&coliid=I1UTLGEHCB015P"]Just Ju-Jitsu: Amazon.co.uk: Ken Cole: Books[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ju-jitsu-Classical-Modern-Eddie-Ferrie/dp/1852237228/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1359415481&sr=8-10"]Ju-jitsu: Classical and Modern: Amazon.co.uk: Eddie Ferrie: Books[/ame]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Dead_pool

stay away from these, There WJJF related.

Why not get books related to the arts your teacher studies.

13. Ozid

Ozid Valued Member

I had a similar post here.

Apart from JJ University I found The Canon of Judo(Mifune) Very useful. JJ University is great in terms of Ne Waza but it doesn't cover anything else.

You can also look up some Aikido books for Katame Waza. Karate for Atemis... Finding jujutsu books sucks, any of those books will cover better and more detailed info than any book on jujutsu you can find. And if you do find one POST IT :p

Edited: And the Canon gots the names in japanese and their translations to english :D (That's useful for the exams!)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  14. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

OK, note taken, stay away from WJJF. Out of curiosity why is this? Are they not very reputable?

And yeah I was also looking at some books for the other arts too, but I really enjoy the grappling side of the jujutsu/judo as I'm not exactly the biggest built guy in the world and I think my punches are probably fairly laughable atm...(I am working on this thoough)

But cheers for the advice, I'll stay away from WJJF and look at the other arts too. Found Canon of Judo online and have literealy just this second bought it :D

15. rob0107

rob0107 Valued Member

OK, scratch that question, just had a look through the forum for some stuff about WJJF and found quite a lot about fraud, poor syllabus etc.