Jujitsu and kata?

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Elitistjester73, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Elitistjester73

Elitistjester73 Valued Member

I came across this guy doing kata on YouTube as part of his JJ training/instruction he's a 4th dan. I tended to think kata was more aligned to karate, am I wrong? This link should get you there I don't think I've ever seen a kata like it could someone try an explain what's going on here. I have trained briefly in karate and the katas seem to make sense but I can't see what this is "defending" against. http://youtu.be/1Ikhfo5tMr

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Video does not exist

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Kata exists within virtually all of the old forms of Jujutsu, however they also tend to be rather different from those you find in Karate.

Frequently they are two man forms.

Although I can't see this clip I'm going to guess that it isn't one of these older styles being shown.

4. Elitistjester73

Dunno what's wrong with the link?? If you can be bothered it can be found under Long Stance Kata it's by a guy named Simon Powell

5. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

6. Kenko Enso

Kenko Enso Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ikhfo5tMrc"]Long Stance Kata - YouTube[/ame]

This matches the description that you gave. Is this the same one you were referring to?

7. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Looks more Chinese compared to most Karate Kata I have seen.

Gary

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  8. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Some styles have quite a bit of Chinese influence, which shows up in the kata. I was surprised at all the Chinese sort of movements I have found in ****o-Ryu. :O :)

9. Elitistjester73

Kenko Enso, yep that's the clip, thanks. Take other comments as given re the Chinese movements but this guy is a 4th dan in Jikishin Jujitsu which is "Japanese" albeit modern Jujitsu. Like I said I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before, my karate days were with Kyokushin and I could see some point to those, as another poster has pointed out wouldn't kata in Jujitsuu make more sense as a two man exercise?

10. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

A lot of those movements to me looked very similar to the stuff I did in Goju Ryu & Aikido personally. Partner kata does make a great deal of sense, but given the general context of kata as more of a coded form of drilling movement, techniques & your basic fighting instinct then individual kata would work just fine too. In the form of Aikido I practised (a derivative of Yoshinkan) we regular practised Kihon Dosa primarily as a single person form which can be likened to being a kata as well.

I liked the idea of that actually.

11. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

Yes, but as Elitistjester has already said, the guy purports to be doing Jujutsu!

I notice on their website they also offer Tai-chi.

Maybe this is his invention - blending the two?

Gary

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Kata can be present in any art. Different arts might call it something different but the idea behind it is the same.

Haven't seen the vid so any comment on quality.

Just saw the vid. Yes it looks odd for JJJ. Tai Ju?

13. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Kata of throws .....you need a tori and uke....but that's my jujitsu.

14. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Boy that's an awfully young looking person to be a 4th dan in jujitsu.