JR West - Hapkido video volume 1 Review

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by Thomas, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I just watched the JR West Comprehensive Hapkido Volume I: Joint Locks, Rope & Cane Techniques

Here are my thoughts:
    This is not what I'd consider an "educational" video - Master West doesn't spend a lot of time discussing the principles or fine details of the techniques and generally shows each one only two or three times with no different angles or close ups. That's not necessarily a bad thing though.

In general, I don't think there are a lot of videos out there that people can really "learn" an art from - they can, of course, get new ideas, reinforce existing concepts, or use them as a reference for material covered in classes. Students with a decent background in the art can pick up supplemental ideas and variations from videos.

This video is, however, a good technique "catalog". The first part covers a selection of different locking techniques (about 7 or 8 different ones) and then shows them in different situations (grabs, punches, etc). The second part shows defenses against attacks using a rope (belt) and cane. Master West shows the techniques fairly slowly and clearly. Compared to other styles of Hapkido, there were very few distracting strikes, not a great degree of unbalancing shown, and the footwork was fairly static (not a lot of circular footwork shown).

As mentioned before, the techniques are shown quickly, with little supporting dialogue or camera angles. It really seems to be a quickly made video designed to provide a quick-and-easy reference for techniques that Master West teaches - not an all-encompassing educational video with every nuance shown and described. As such, for students who have a background in Hapkido, there shouldn't be any real surprises and this will probably be very useful for review. For a fairly short video (30 minutes), there is a lot of material on here that is clear and precise - this is a very worthy addition to any Hapkido library.

Available from Amazon ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/JR-West-Comprehensive-Hapkido-Techniques/dp/B000GYI27S/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1342646250&sr=1-1&keywords=west+hapkido"]Amazon.com: JR West Comprehensive Hapkido Volume I: Joint Locks, Rope & Cane Techniques: Movies & TV[/ame])