Jousting and western style sword fighting

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Reiki, Apr 17, 2005.

1. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

I've just joined up with a jousting group. :D

We do full-on jousting on horseback with armour, plus we are doing sword fighting skills on the horse and on foot with swod and buckler. :D

It's fast and furious and wonderful! ... And rather scary ... :eek:

The sword work on foot is easy peasy but on the back of a horse its at least 200% more difficult! :eek:

And on my horse you can rack that up to 500% more difficult because she thinks the cabbages we use as targets have dragons living in them...!

Even getting the horse used to the 14ft long lance is tricky, and the damn things are heavy & awkward to handle being around 5-6kg or more. Just great on my damaged tendons.

Does anyone else here do anything like this??

2. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

well damn you be very lucky. I wish I could,not really I prefer to be standing somehtinga bout useing a weapon while staying atop a moving animal doesnt sit well with me, then agin my ancestors were mainly footsoldiers :D.

OH and is this group using any historical maunals in the training?

3. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

;) I had to provide my own steeds, but I'm well used to being on top of a wildly moving 600kg predated foodstuff that knows not its own strength!

Not as far as I know however we have been working with the IJA and their stuff and a few other resources that I havent had the chance to read yet. :)

Its great fun and a lot harder than standing on your own 2 feet and fighting!

4. karatepig

karatepig New Member

I introduced my husband to riding last year, and now he is getting into jousting. His horse is a fantasic animal that goes up and down the list with no problems. My young idiot, the first time I tried it (of course with a huge crowd watching) put on a rodeo show. Am trying to get him to swap horses with me at the moment, on the basis that a bit of extra weight will reduce my horse's high spirits.

Now we are making armour - my husband has already built a quintain fo the target, and we were doing some dressage drills (my interest is dressage) to get my guy calmed down a bit.

We are in Vanuatu, but come from NZ originally, and would like to hear more about who you are training in jousting with, and whereabouts you are. (Also, I saw your profile - interests classical dressage - and wanted to ask something about that) Feel free to email me directly

5. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil wants to go climbing...

Can you get some video footage of what you do?
    Sounds awsome.