JKD - What can I expect ?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Revobuzz, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

So, I'm off to try a JKD class soon, I'm really looking forward to it and just wondered what can I expect.

I'm wondering what similarities and differences there may be to my Krav Maga class.

If anyone has experience of both I would love to hear your thoughts.

2. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Depends massively on the teacher; where is your class/who is teaching?

It's probably easiest for you to just try the class out (with an open mind, of course ;)), and see how you get on.

Best of luck!

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Hi Revobuzz.

Whose class are you attending?

4. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

Urban Martial Arts Leicester.

Just wondered what differences/similarities might be.

Is one more intensive exercise-wise for example...

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Again, it depends on the teachers involved. The krav I've seen personally was very focused on fitness. Now, the question is whether that's because they recognize that fitness is important to fighting or they're covering up a lack of technical chops with situps.

Same goes for JKD. My teacher is very into fitness. Others, less so.

6. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

Fair point,

Any other differences you care to expand on between classes?

Bit off topic, but a KFM instructor I had never did "exercises" sit ups etc. It was always built into training for some technique or other. He used to say why pay me to come here and do sit ups - you can do those at home.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Urban Martial Arts is headed by Kwoklyn Wan, who trained under our own Pat O'Malley.

He has a good pedigree, so you'll be fine there.

8. Revobuzz

Revobuzz Valued Member

Thanks for that, but don't worry, I've done my homework!

I can see many potential similarities with Krav, but looking forward to what the differences might be too.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm no expert in krav. Never trained it myself. Honestly, depending on the teachers involved, I'd wager you could do one of those "blind taste tests," watching certain JKD classes and certain krav classes and not be able to tell the difference. A lot of it will come down to the rhetoric, lingo, etc.

10. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

am agree with everyone else

different schools have different ways, some more alike than others, so all can give you for answers is based on personal opinion from knowledge and experience, like for example where i train jkd there is more empty-hand training and tons of physical fitness and conditioning, whereas when i touched hands with krav maga i am find it to be less intense as far as physical fitness compared to jkd, but more intense on weapons training, so really it all depends on who you are with when you train