JKD simplified for MAP users

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Fujian Animal, May 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Although I have had a few disagreements with Chris politically, few can doubt his actual experience within JKD - here are his thoughts

http://www.bruceleefoundation.org/i...NING-:-SHADOW-KICKBOXING/cdid/10646/pid/10225

Even a casual glance at the Tao shows how much shadowboxing bruce actually did

Wing Chun will* hit wall bags, dummies, mitts and each other with frequency

You are right that JKD is complex to define - which is a paradox when you look at the search it has for simplicity - so perhaps it may be best to not start these kinds of threads

Concentrate on the journey of personal combative gnosis - THAT is probably as close to a simple definition as you will get

*or pehaps more accurately GOOD Wing Chun will

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, at least you are prefacing it with you believe instead of stating it like it was a fact this time.

Your "belief" is still an attempt to bolster your own beliefs by trying to use Lee's thoughts as if they back up your own. Fact is you have no idea what he was thinking just before he died. What gives you the right to be putting words in a dead mans mouth, huh?

You "beliefs" are not a credible additon to what Lee actually wanted or thought.

And here is another paradox of JKD. It is supposed to be about finding your own way, yet some practitioners keep quoting Lee, worshipping Lee's every thoughts............ Isn't doing that kind of missing the point?

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  3. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

wing chun is the root of my own personal jkd, and sometimes revealing your sources, even quoting the original source of jkd, is the best way to answer questions related to jkd..... its also easier, jackychan's fly swatter as opposed to mister miyagi's chopsticks

a computerated example of jiequandao

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  4. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Somewhat took my words;
    However; Wing Chun "Practitioners" will* hit wall bags, dummies, mitts and each other with frequency :D

Oh, on another note, it tells me how much or how little people know JKD when they start referring it to "their personal"

JKD is not about creating or training yourself without the need for a qualified instructor

Quoting great teachers isn't the same as actually have studied what they were trying to project

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

The Point just called. He said he's sorry you missed him.

6. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I now have a greater understanding of JKD :confused:

Baza

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It's not that complicated. JKD is MMA-lite plus weapons :evil:

8. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

My understanding has yet again increased, i thought JKD was "empty/open hand". I laways thought "empty/open hand" meant no weapons.

Baza

9. 47MartialMan

Strange, how Bruce and Dan practiced with many weapons...:confused:

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Well... Lee was pretty committed to empty hand. He used the odd weapon or two in his movies. But the vast majority of his training was empty hand.

Dan Inosanto is a different matter. But that's due to his kali background, which many JKD enthusiasts will vehemently tell you isn't (or is) JKD.

Yet another factor contributing to the difficulty in providing a simplified explanation of JKD.

11. aaradia

:topic:
    That's another thing that annoys me with the whole Bruce Lee fandom. I am all for the styles that want to mix and match weapons from other cultures. But I wish the students/ or potential students had a better understanding about them.

In other words, Nunchucks are not a TCMA weapon, but so many people think they are just because Bruce Lee used them.

People come into my school all the time wondering if we have nunchucks. No, we aren't a Japanese system. We have three section staffs and we have two section staffs, but we don't have nunchucks. Just because Lee used them does not make them a TCMA weapon. We have 53 weapons, but people get all caught up with nunchucks as the be all and end all of cool weapons and walk away disappointed because we don't have this one weapon.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Ironically, they came to Lee courtesy of FMA and Dan Inosanto.

13. aaradia

Nunchucks are also a Filipino weapon?

14. 47MartialMan

No, I think he was trying to say Lee was exposed to them Vvia Dan

15. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Im not a JKD guy, im looking at starting to practice it since i find the Ving Tsun practice to static to my taste.

But everyone acts if Dan Inosanto is the only good instructor out there, but i think there are more aren't there?

And anyone can please give me an explanation of JKD Concept and Original JKD in laymens terms?

16. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

There are many. What area are you in? Maybe we can make some recommendations.

17. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't know Corné Heesters, but Frans Stroeven is very well respected. I'd certainly be checking him out.

19. Dylan9d

Dylan9d Valued Member

Well i might be taking the instructors course Panantukan with him also, seems to be very interesting stuff.

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not originally. They've been adopted though. FMA is famous for adopting things from other styles and applying them toward their own. In the Philippines, they'd be known as "tabak toyok" or simply "chaku."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.