JKD In Southampton

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Wadey, May 19, 2008.

1. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

:)I'm wondering to try JKD and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction of somewhere near to Southampton?

Anyone able to help me please?!

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

Hi i think this guy Lee Chester teaches in southampton have to contacted him through pete grills peter.grills@high-techservices.co.uk

or this guy is really good, but in portsmouth http://www.jasonboh.co.uk/home.html

3. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

4. BruceLee94

BruceLee94 Valued Member

We're taught by Peter Grills once a month here in Lincoln, he comes from Portsmouth, whicih as you now is right near Southhampton, and i think he does some classes in Southampton.

5. tel

pete grills? hhhmmm... let that one go. but anyway he's trains in plymouth, so not close to southampton. lee chester is under pete i believe

6. worthingsaxovtr

worthingsaxovtr Valued Member

7. STARON

STARON New Member

hi mate, i know its a year ago you asked if anyone does JKD in southampton and everyone has said lee chester, well lee chester is my teacher, i have trained with him for just over 2 years now so if you are still interested in training with him let me know and i will give you his number.

8. sabre2th1

sabre2th1 New Member

hey staron could i have the number to that LEE CHESTER instructor,

thanks

9. tel

There is a guy in romsey who teaches jkd. if you want pm and i can give you a number to ring

10. STARON

STARON New Member

hi sabre2th1, email me and i will email you back lee chesters email

11. Hal Carter

Hal Carter New Member

JKD

2 questions on JKD training; 1-Is there anywhere in Georgia to get a credidable teacher/class? 2-At the risk of offending serious martial artists, I have a question. I am 54 years old, in good shape, and have recently started back training MA after about a 25 year abcence. I have trained many years ago in traditional karate, with a little JKD, and a little BJJ. The place I have started training, is a ninjutsu school. I mean NO disrespect to the art part of training, but at 54 years old, I just want to relearn serious fighting/self defence. I really do not have time or desire to go to school for 3 or more years, to be proficant. What I want is 6 months to 1 year. From what I remember, from training with Paul Vunak and his people, it is possable to learn a few basic moves, (8-10) and just fast and efficant with those moves, to be able defend against muggings and those type things.

If anybody has other suggestions, it would be greatly appreaciated. Please remember, I DO respect the art, and history part of MA, just that katas and complicated techniques, are not practicle for me. After my 2 years of karate training many years ago, it was a culture shock to find out the hard way that in real street, people cheat. Thanks in advance for any help.

12. STARON

STARON New Member

HI HAL CARTER

WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU ? I AM GUESSING THE U.S. IF YOU ARE IN THE US AND YOU WANT THE TAKE UP JKD GO TO WWW.JERRYPOTEET.COM AND HAVE A LOOK AT HIS WEB SITE.

13. tonyr1967

tonyr1967 Valued Member

Hi Hal,

Vunak's stuff is very simple to learn and very effective. You'd need to practice a lot to ingrain it into your memory and make it instinctive - but it does work, and you don't need to be young to do it.

Check out the link below:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWU2Vi0wGU"]The Enigma By Paul Vunak : Highlights - YouTube[/ame]

Try looking at around 2mins.

Again, video is no substitute for a good teacher. As Staron says - Jerry Poteet and his instructors are great. Worth looking around too though. You may find a PFS instructor (Vunak's organisation) close.

To be fair, the RAT stuff PFS teach is easily picked up, even at a seminar. It's just you will need to practice. Maybe you have a son, nephew or grandson that would be interested; make a great sparing partner. One piece of advice - if you are going to practice the hand distructions...make sure the attacker is wearing GOOD quality gloves!!

Good luck
    Tony

14. crazydanban

crazydanban New Member

lee chester price?

i am in Southampton also looking for JKD lessons can you tell me a little about how it is structured, is it a group or private lessons charges, or payment plans for more lengthy training? also does he teach the philosophy and helping the mind also, im looking for something to enlighten me at the same time as training martial arts, i feel i have lost my way a little in life and i'm hoping as Bruce lee says that kung fu is great for the mind, where nothing else has helped me i'm praying this can.

thank you
    Dan

15. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

He's not been online since 2009.