JKD Footwork (Tackett's WNG)

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by callsignfuzzy, Jun 2, 2013.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Well, there was a thread on JKD footwork that went nowhere, and coincidentally, Youtube recommended that I watch this videos, so I thought I'd share and maybe get the ball rolling on a thread that went somewhere. Tim Tackett has been kind enough to post a full DVD free on Youtube. Here it is in six parts:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2SjDJ5tvrA"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 1 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyexVnLgJZM"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 2 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuFGU7v7fE"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 3 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbzikb1klA"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 4 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2OtgNseThM"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 5 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cBSoOXHmSw"]Jeet Kune Do Footwork - Part 6 of 6 - Full DVD - YouTube[/ame]

I've learned some of these under different names, but most are very familiar. I find I tend to not vary my footwork that much. Using terms I'm more familiar with, I tend to step-drag more than anything, I don't hit that pendulum step unless I'm going for a lead kick against a guy I'm chasing, and I'll occasionally circle or angle step to get a better position for firing shots. Have any of you found a particular element of footwork under-rated? Or perhaps had an "a-ha" moment concerning footwork?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

My footwork now barely registers with me - its only when I break things down I can see the actual movement involved. That's probably a good thing :)

Footwork, like stances, are something that people obsess over when they are low to intermediate, but that become visceral as you progress.

3. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

Thanks for the post, that stuff rocked. I believe foot work is very Important, it must be trained, if ignored your program is suffering.

4. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I like how Hannibal put it.

Footwork should be natural like walking or running. Always move at the hips and let the feet go where they naturally would go.

I did not look at all the videos. Footwork drills are very important to understand the principles of movement. From what I did watch of the videos, I did not personally like what I saw. I think because it jumped from basics to fighting footwork too quickly for my liking.

For example, in basic footwork you step. In fighting footwork, both feet move, not one then the other, because the movement is done so much faster. So basic footwork is like Tai Chi training speed, fighting footwork is full speed.

My biggest issue was with things like the "push step" use. I do not like the push step as a basic. It puts a lot of stress on the achilles tendon. The basic movement, IMHO, should be the falling forward with a step and using the rear foot as a spring to convert the downward gravity force into forward force. The speed of the movement comes by pushing the hips forward, not from the pushing off the rear foot.

I also did not like their use of a juking step (forgot what it was called in the video). Juking goes along the line formed by the two feet. For example, if I was in an orthodox boxing stance, without changing the position of my feet, could juke 45 degrees left (forward to the left) or 45 degrees right (back to the right). This is along the line formed by my two feet. Juking is like how a crab moves sideways. Instead, it seemed in that the juking in the video was not along the line formed by the two feet, but was more jumping.

On the other hand, different strokes for different folks.

5. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To advance your

- leading foot first is like to punch with cross first, it's more risky.
    - back foot first, the distance between you and your opponent hasn't changed yet, it's like to punch with a jab first, your body hasn'r committed rotation yet, it's less risky.

IMO, what kind of footwork will you use, depending on what kind of range is between you and your opponent. In

- kicking range, you should move your back foot first.
    - punching range, you can move your front foot first.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  6. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I'll watch the videos later, but for JKD (and others) I doubt they top Dan Inosanto's footwork stuff on YouTube.

7. Jabby Mcgee

Jabby Mcgee Valued Member

I haven't watched these videos, but I have trained with Tim, and he is like a savant when it comes to JKD fundamentals such as footwork.

8. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

He seems to have an amazing attention to detail, which I like.

Did he every say anything about the footwork pertaining to what he disliked? Just out of curiosity.

Edit: I watched more of the videos and I liked what I saw mostly. Overall excellent except for the two things I previously noted that I did not like.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

callsignfuzzy,

Thanks for starting this thread properly. I appreciate it.

My feeling on footwork is that it's the most vital thing you can learn. I agree that the goal is to get it so well entrenched in your subconscious that you just do it. Mind you, that's the goal for most of this stuff, so...

Footwork can sometimes get overlooked in impact-based (particularly empty hand) styles, because the body can afford to absorb some hits and be okay. But with weapon systems (like the fencing that lent a lot of footwork to JKD), controlling range is absolutely essential to keeping his sword out of your pancreas.

EDIT: None of which is to say that footwork should be ignored in impact arts. Many of the greatest boxers, etc. were the greatest precisely because of their control of range, angling, power generation, etc. And all of that begins and ends with footwork.

10. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Well I did try to start a thread on footwork and was going to say what Ive learned about it, after well over 35 yrs of JKD training... But I didn't start it to your liking... It shouldn't surprise me around here, it seems very closed mind and same type of group's...

Also, I would like to say I did the 1st MAP meet up in North America, Manhatten NY for free and asked not to be recorded, but they did it anyway... I will not post again here... (o_0)

11. Hannibal

It is explicitly stated that to start a thread you have to say something of value or ask a pertinent question - you did neither. As such if you do make no further contributions you aren't exactly depriving the site of an active and useful resource based on recent output.

Saying you won't post here again almost certainly guarantees you will. Why not try and post something to educate, stimulate or provoke debate? That has to be better than ridiculous one line spamesque posts that are cod-philosophical doesn't it?

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I saw this bit of footwork recently and thought it was awesome.
    Is it JKD footwork? Probably not but damn Johnson is fast on his feet and cuts angles and takes up a new line really well. Stays in the pocket too.

[​IMG]

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That was pretty crazy!

14. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Sigung Tackett has great drills for street fighting.
    The footwork can not be seperated from the total picture though.
    If you focus on the footwork the hands will suffer.
    However that being said, i train 20 minutes of footwork as a warm up for every class i teach.

15. Hannibal

I see a lot of Kali-esque footwork there too - but if you look hard enough you can probably insert any discipline into it...it's impressive regardless!

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

A: How do you move?
    B: I move like a shadow and respond like an echo.

This just remind me the following Irish joke:

A: I want to apply social welfare.
    B: Please tell me your bank account, realestate, personal access, ...
    A: I have $65,000 in my saveing, $3,000 in my checking, 1 house, 2 vacation homes, 5,000 shares IBM stocks, and 2 BMW cars.
    B: You must be joking.
    A: But you started it.

When someone asked a general question such as, "What is the best for self defense?" your general answer should be, "Try to meet your fist on your opponent's face."

This is one of my favor footworks.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxptvJlubY"]Penetrating the Posts - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
  17. KaliKuntaw

KaliKuntaw Valued Member

Because i use the FMA foot work and JKD footwork i use a triangle as well as the light crisp boxing footwork of JKD. i am not fond of side stepping. It tends to narrow my stance if i am in a hurry. So i zone in most of the time.

18. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Some excellent examples of juke step or side stepping in that gif.

There are points where he is running forward, points where he is back peddling, and then there are points where he is juking. The juking or side stepping is done along the line formed by the two feet.

In our Muay Thai levels, juke stepping is part of the level two footwork. More commonly though, it is used by running backs and wide receivers in American football, as well as soccer players.

It is side stepping because it is along the line formed by the two feet, but in boxing it is usually 45 degrees movement because that is where the line is formed by the two feet.

19. totalwarrior

totalwarrior New Member

Experience It

I would suggest that you seek out a qualified instructor under Tackett in order to REALLY understand whats happening. I have trained with others who teach JKD that never got close to what the Bremmer Tackett lineage is teaching. You may THINK you understand it but I doubt you do unless you have went in person and trained with the Tackett lineage. That was my experience.

20. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

That is always the best answer for situations where someone doesn't get what is going on. Work with the source directly and experience it.

However, nothing is unique or completely new in martial arts. Everything still has underlying principles that make them work. Some instructors are fighters, some are technicians, some are both fighters and technicians... and some are pretenders that live off the reputations of others.

I don't know if Mr. Tackett is a fighter, but he could be... on the other hand, he is definitely an excellent technician. I can identify with this. I would like to get his view point on footwork as a technician. Not what to do, but why and what principles are being demonstrated.

Just experiencing something doesn't cut it when talking to folks that have experienced it or think they have.