jjeet kune do

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Tin tin, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

I would like to do a bit of ljeetkunedo to try improve with my sparing .
    Did try a school on his wed site did say he'd studyed wing chun and jeet kune do . When get there different story only do wing chun for about 4 months never said much about jeet kune do .
    Have look about a bit , what I worried about are there places just real or not half them look like kickboxing with some wing chun in there style and calling it jeet kune do .
    I know there's one in consett , Sunderland and up blaydon does any know if they are the real deal .
    The one in blaydon s
    eems to be more MMA than jkd
    Ps some thing thing I'd like to do on the. Gee

2. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

There have been a million internet threads on what constitutes "real" Jeet Kune Do, I doubt anyone will add anything new to the debate. The first question you need to ask is what do you class as real Jeet Kune Do? Unless you know the answer to that question, then how will you know if you've found it? How have you arrived at the conclusion that JKD will help with your sparring? If there is one thing that the last twenty years of MMA has shown us then it's that, in stand-up fighting, Muay Thai and Boxing are king. If that were not the case, and JKD was the answer, then JKD guys would be winning the world titles. As I'm sure you've probably noticed, they aren't. I say all of this to you as a JKD Instructor, but I say it because if there is one thing that I have learned over the last twenty years it's that so many people think that JKD is the answer, but they haven't actually yet figured out the question.

Having said all of that, Matt Teasdale in Newcastle is an excellent instructor with a great JKD lineage. The instructor in Consett is my student and good friend Jeff Hollows and, though you would expect me to say this, I rate him very highly.

I hope that helps and provides some food for thought. Good luck.

3. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Isn't there Muay Thai and Boxing in a lot of JKD?

4. MWAW

MWAW Valued Member

Yes, depending on the instructor and the lineage, there will be elements of Boxing and Muay Thai taught in JKD. However, there will be elements of the blues in a wide range of modern music, but it's no comparison to hitting up some Stevie Ray Vaughan on vinyl.

I love JKD for the attributes it can bring to a rounded cross-study. However, having train both Boxing and Muay Thai directly at the source for many years, there is no comparison when it comes time to jam.

Just my personal opinion.

5. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Not only is Matt Teasdale an excellent instructor who teaches Jun Fan JKD, he also teaches regular classes of Kali, Muay Thai, Shoot Wrestling and Kickboxing (Savate/American). I think he also offers Muay Boran and Krabi Krabong if you're interested in private lessons...

There's plenty at his gym for you to learn a great foundation from which to develop your own JKD (call it what you will) which, IMHO, it's all about.

He's also a really nice, laid back guy! If you just go and watch (or join in) a few classes I'm sure you'll work out whether it's right for you - good luck!

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Depends who's JKD you are looking at :D
    There is in mine, but I call mine "Kali"...

edit: Michael Wright put it more eloquently! But yes, I too prefer (personal opinion) boxing/mt striking if the opportunity presents itself

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  7. MMALensboy82

MMALensboy82 New Member

JKD Sunderland

Hi there
    I just caught your post and if its JKD you are looking for
    then you might want to look into Combative Arts in Sunderland.
    I've been training there for over a year now and our teacher deals with core
    Jeet Kune Do. He is also a qualified instructor under Sifu Pat Strong (look him up) & has trained with many other 1st gen students.
    If you would like to know more, then get in touch.
    All the best

8. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Compative arts

Was looking at this one . Did email him once but I was doing agency work at the time plus I had the mortgage company knocking on my door wanting to pay them some money. So I had sell my car to pay some arrears off. He did get back to me but the time he did I'd sold the car.
    Does your instructor day time classes just I'm sure I herd I was looking to start some day time classes.
    Plus would ok the fact I do kickboxing at another club and still want to continue training there along with doing this on the side.
    Looking to get going fingers crossed end of month as I've jump back on the taxi's bit quiet at the moment but cheers for getting to me.

9. MMALensboy82

MMALensboy82 New Member

JKD Sunderland

I don't think that would be a problem. We have a good variety of different
    Styles in our group. Some come from a Karate background & others from Kick Boxing. One of our guys competes in MMA also. So there are people who work
    On their own stuff when not in class.

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's also can apply to pretty much everything else tht involves punching people in the face assuming you are good enough - so 10/10 for triteness, 1/10 for usefulness

11. ballistic

ballistic Valued Member

Hi guys! Thnks Michael and team nemisis for the kind words. We do run a jun fan kickboxing class in newcastle. But im with Micheal on this, i like it more for attribute development. Im very reluctant to use the term jkd any more as it tends to bring alot of nonsense with it! Personally i would go with muay thai if you want to improve your stand up sparring. Its structure is second to none!
    Cheers
    Matt
    Ps hope to meet one day Micheal!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2013
  12. Hannibal

My above comment now looks useless because the poster I was replying to got banned! Doh!!!

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I can ban you too if it would make you feel better?! ;) :)

14. Tin tin

Tin tin Valued Member

Hi cheers for the reply after much looking around I join Bsbb in heaton heard that his club have won loads last few years plus he's hot on fitness..

15. Street Stylist

Street Stylist Banned Banned

JKD is alive. Founded in the 60's but fight science has changed since then. JKD isn't sport. True JKD is up-to-date and very effective, though we no longer call it JKD.

16. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Who is "we"? I thought you were no longer training in JKD

17. Street Stylist

We are who we are. Also, when Simon said in a closed thread that Michael J White wasn't showing Kimbo jeet kune do, I disagree. I would've said that it was JKD, but it wasn't exclusively JKD since the same techniques and methods apply to just about any style of kung fu. You can also find them in western boxing. I use those methods, but I don't call it JKD, even though I learned them from a JKD instructor.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

That's because I have a proven history in JKD and you don't have a clue.

19. Street Stylist

It's in JKD, period. JKD experts teach it. The fact that you don't doesn't really mean anything. It's just that JKD isn't the only style that teaches it.

20. Hannibal

I think the fact Simon isn't talking out of his ass has more relevance

I think AmericanMM....errrr....StreetStylist has had his 15 minutes judging by the little tag under his name