Jiu jitsu?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Light123, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Light123

Light123 Give Up On Giving Up

Is jiu jitsu a good style for someone who trains while sitting?

2. Dao

Dao Valued Member

As long as they train whilst standing too.
    :confused:

3. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Interesting answer Dao - it makes a large assumption that they CAN stand. [I spotted which area of the forum we're in]

Body mechanics, locks, awareness of opponents movements (by touch as much or more than sight) - from my fairly limited knowledge JJJ has a number of positives. There are others around who know FAR more than me and might suggest other arts.

4. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i could see how you would be able to train in jujitsu while sitting, because alot of the locks i think could work from that position, and if it went to the ground there are still a number of grappling techniques that could be used even if the student couldnt use his legs for whatever reason. I think that alot could be adapted to work without any footwork, i actually think i have seen videos on youtube with someone that trains in jujitsu from a wheelchair, i dont remember the name of the video off hand though if i find it ill post it up here.

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The style I do would be very difficult for someone to train in while seated because it uses whole-body movement to do pretty much everything. There are techniques within the style which could be done seated, but you'd need an instructor who would go through just those techniques with you, and that could be very difficult to find given the usual format of group classes.

I would hope that there are some jujutsu instructors out there who teach special classes on the techniques that can be used people people with certain disabilities.

I would say that the majority of the throws and locks would be out though...

6. MatsunoCj

MatsunoCj Jujitsu rookie

i was thinking the same thing and of course hip throws and sweeps would be out, but stuff like kote geishi would have to be modified because you couldnt use ur whole body like ur supposed to but i think it could still be done, the techniques just wouldnt be as effective

7. MeSamurai

MeSamurai New Member Supporter

I would think any style that would focus more on joint locks for defensive applications would work out, and depending on mobility some of the ground game could work too. Sitting because of some mobility problems? Paraplegia?
    But yes, I believe that JJ would be great, but keep in mind that some aspects might not be possible....

8. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

The majority of chokes and leg locks would work just fine I think.
    I was mostly paralyzed in my left leg yesterday during training because I had stretched the muscles close to my hip. I couldn't work the x guard with my left leg and get hooks in, I couldn't do omoplata with my left leg, or triangles, but I tapped out people still, with leglocks and americanas. It wasn't that much of a handicap actually.

I think you can still use your legs if you can't move them. I don't think you need to use your legs that much in rubber guard/mission control, because you can move your legs mostly with the help of your arm.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  9. BentMonk

BentMonk Valued Member

The Real Deal

Slapstick - Greetings. I hope you are well. Erik Kondo has some of the best real world self defense techniques for those with disabilities that I have ever seen. Here's a link. Drop him a line. He's a great guy. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you.

http://www.not-me.org/

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd have thought BJJ or a modified version of it would be more suited to your needs. In your circumstance I'd see what government/charity grants were available to an establishment that teaches specialized martial arts to disabled people and then approach your local BJJ schools with your idea.
    The World is there for the taking when you have a little funding and a good idea behind you. Just takes a little background work.