Jinenkan stories/opinions

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Enshadowed, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Enshadowed

Enshadowed Valued Member

I found a Jinenkan place close to where I live. I was wondering if anyone here has trained in Jinenkan Jissen Kobudo and what your opinion was/if you have any stories to share of your training experience or perhaps utilizing it in real situations.

2. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

There is a Jinenkan dojo near where I live.
    I haven't seen them in action but my sensei has. He says the curriculum is more limited (or specialized) than in Genbukan, but they train hard and have grading standards similar to Genbukan.

3. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Fwiw, all I've heard is the do basics, basics and more basics.
    So as everyone agrees 'basics are the key' it wouldn't be a bad choice!

Same old, same old though.... What's the teacher like? Do you 'gel'?'

Try a class or two, see if it is the right fit for you!

Good luck

4. Evan London

Evan London Valued Member

While we in the Jinenkan do focus on the fundamentals, it is definitely not all we do. I recommend you join in on classes and see if you like the teacher and group. If you have any focused questions about the organization, I would be more that happy to answer them. Send me a PM.
    Evan London
    Dojo Cho, Jinenkan Inazuma Dojo.

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

As always check it out and decide for youself
    The vast majority of your training will be from the link that you have to your local dojo (rather than the org as such) so I'd suggest that you make sure that you find a good teacher and dojo. Also if it's an environment where you will be able to thrive (& enjoy yourself) then likely you'll be able to stick at it for the long term

Personally I was very sad when Manaka-sensei left the org that I am part of and I miss his influence. I felt that he was a great teacher & loved his classes so I'm sure that the Jinenkan will have much to offer as a whole

6. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

You don't hear much about Jinenkan, even far less than the Genbukan, so I've always been curious about their general curriculum and training philosophies for the sake of knowledge (through someone part of the Jinenkan, whether past or present).

7. shinsen

shinsen Valued Member

Of course, all the instructors in the Jinenkan are individuals with differing levels of knowledge and abilities but who ever they are, if they are a Jinenkan Dojocho, they will have a relationship of some sorts with Manaka Sensei.
    If the instructor is a regular visitor to Japan, the training they receive will be in some depth - most of my training with Sensei in recent years has been with one or two other people in the room. This is in sharp contrast to the organisation I used to be a member of where from what I can tell, classes of a hundred or more aren't unusual these days.

8. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My apologies - I wasn't trying to get into a "my orgs better than your org" debate (quite the opposite in fact)
    My point was, that in my view, for any beginner, the dojo (ie group environment) & teacher are more important than the org & in many cases the art or style

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  9. amitchell

amitchell Valued Member

Endshadowed, in your previous post you wrote "I'm looking around the NYC/Westchester area for Bujinkan/Genbukan dojos." Then I seen you say you've found a Jinenkan Dojo close to where you live.

Considering I'm the only Jinenkan Dojo cho in New York, and I am close to Westchester and a train hop from the city, I'm wondering if that's my Dojo (?). Let me know if there is anything I can help with. You are of course welcome to visit anytime and join in training. Best, Adam

10. Enshadowed

Enshadowed Valued Member

Sure thing, I'll send a PM your way!

11. Sandninjer

Sandninjer Valued Member

The ninjutsu community is so small!

12. hatsie

hatsie Active Member Supporter

Yes indeed, hombu classes do get ridiculously busy, and not perhaps the best learning environment, and its great you can practically have a private lesson with the soke of your org. However put in context, I'm sure dunc, and many others of his level ( having a relationship with a Japanese shihan) are lucky enough to share similar experiences with their own instructors whom would most likely be at least on par with manaka sensei, although not system heads.

13. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

Shawn Havens has, in my opinion, some of the best taijutsu movements of any American I've witnessed. He's also an exceptional teacher who is very capable of critically thinking to personalize his instruction to each student. I recommend them highly as an organization.

14. Big John Sheehan

Big John Sheehan New Member

Hey sir. I am wondering If Shawn Havens is still around. I trained with him in a basement dojo in Dayton in 1980’s.
    I have very fond memories of him and his skill set. I’d love to get in touch with him. Thanks.

15. Big John Sheehan

Big John Sheehan New Member

I absolutely agree. I trained with him in late 80’s in Dayton Bujinkan. He’s awesome guy. Love to catch up with him.