Jeet Kune Do vs Wing Chun vs Krav Maga vs Filipino Kali vs Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by blade007, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I know what your saying I tend to bash away a few hormones ontheir early visits when needed with a nice big stick and it has the very same effect. But until he goes he will never know if he can learn to put his hormones in check or it is just his ego talking a good fight.

A lot of people can talk a good fight but when they realise there are people out there that can use them as a play thing and people they would normally perceive as not that sort of person then the do the in it for the long term or scuttle off back into their own happy version of reality.

But they got to go find out for themselves.

Best regards

Pat.

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

All of that's fair enough. But even if we take knife work out of the equation, someone could cause plenty of harm with a stick. Which is taught on day one for most of us. And I would still have massive reservations about teaching someone with a proven track record of unnecessary fights.

That's just where I stand. I'm not going to pretend there aren't exceptions. Or that my stand needs to be your stand. But that's my take.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Youmay be making things worse if you have a short fuse and are looking to learn martial arts.
    That little bit of knowledge may draw you into more trouble because you think you can handle yourself.
    Over the years I have heard dozens of people say "I'll do this, or I'll do that if he comes near me".
    My reply is always the same "what do you do when he hits you?"

What do you do when he hits you so hard it is like the world has ended?

I suggest you download this free book by Geoff Thompson, which will help you understand a little about why people can become aggresive and how to deal with the situation before it arises.

http://www.geoffthompson.com/media/ArtofFighting.pdf

4. Pat OMalley

Totally understand you mate but having been brought up on the wrong side of the sidewalk I tend to judge people more face to face and not by their past history. With extreme exceptions of course. That's simply based on my personal experience of course.

Best regards

Pat

5. Janno

Janno Valued Member

As Yohan has said: Get some links of classes you'd like to attend. It'll be fairly straightforward to weed out which ones will be a waste of time. That said, the only way you'll find out for certain is to actually go there yourself...

When it comes to style-vs-style debates, EVERY style is perfect on paper. All of the styles you have named have had some excellent teachers, and some utterly terrible ones. The first thing you'll need to look at is accessibility though - what classes are affordable and convenient for you?

In combat, victory goes to the one ruthless enough to do whatever is required at that moment in time. Becoming sentimental about style/appearance/conduct/etc... will give you a handicap. Rather than thinking about the brand, think about the content:-

1. Will i be able to spar in this class? (learning what it feels like to be hit hard is a very important part of mental conditioning).

2. Are the techniques and applications pressure-tested?

3. Will i learn to fight multiple opponents?

4. Will i learn to fight from the floor as well as standing?

5. Will i learn to fight against both armed and unarmed attackers?

6. Will i learn to use weapons? If so, are they relevant to the weapons i will encounter or pick up or carry?

7. Will i be able to operate in a control & restraint role as well as a self-protection capacity?

8. Will this class help develop my physical conditioning and fitness?

That's just 8 points to get you started. Note that you may have to train in more than one system if you want to attain your goals.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Cool - I hit all 8!!!!

7. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

Hey, thanks for the suggestion man. I Have some links which I'll post now -

Krav Maga - http://www.kmdi.com.au/

Wing Chun - http://www.wingchunway.com/
    http://www.wingchun.edu.au/

Jeet Kune Do - http://www.jkd.com.au/profile-brent_samyia.htm

Filipino Kali - http://www.jeetkunedoacademy.com.au/

This link includes kali/ silat and jeet kune do. I checked the description and IMO it emphases more on weapon training. Though, I m cool with that but I need more hand-to-hand combat as well. Kali is definitely one of my favorites as it has a unique style compared to others, so it's my 2nd option after JKD/ KM.

Muay Thai - I m not that interested so don't wanna go for it for now.

I'm still doing some research but for now these are the links. Do you think they are all legit? I'm pretty sure they are but I don't know much like you guys do.

So, let me know and why should i take that art, that as well.

8. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

-Why are you still in High school at 18 years of age?

-Getting into fights easily/regularly?

-You want to fight multiple attackers?

Im thinking you need to re-assess your whole situation. I would advise you to direct your energies toward building a future for yourself first before bothering with all this.
    Learning a martial art does not address any issues you may be having with people, and you will simply face the same issues in martial arts, or anywhere else for that matter.
    You would benefit a whole lot more by directing you attention towards education/employment.

A black belt/fighting ability, with no people skills and lining up for unemployment benefits at 20 something years of age is not a good plan.. And your blackbelt/fighting abilities/weapon skills will be useless to you. Unless you go too far in one of these fights you seem to stumble into regularly and find yourself before a judge, then you may very well get the multiple attacker thing happening real quickly, in your new home we call a cell block..

Think about your future while your still young enough to plan it.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  9. Pat OMalley

because you want to :0

10. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

I don't wanna learn martial arts to look cool or start bullying people. I wanna learn for self-defence, for fitness and it's obviously fun. So, I suggest you don't worry about me and in return just give a genuine answer.

In fact, I suggest everyone here to concentrate on the question not my life. Thanks for showing the concern but I m here on this forum to get some info not to discuss about my issues or what will happen to me. Trust me, I m good enough to take care of myself.

11. Hannibal

I suggest you concentrate on your life on not martial arts or you will completely miss the lesson that most of us are trying to teach you here

12. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

Thanks for reminding me the obvious.

13. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

What lesson? Look, if you don't want to suggest anything why don't you just leave the thread. You will save your time.

14. Hannibal

I'll stay thanks - you have everybody's suggestions and they seem to revolve around addressing the context of your lifestyle rather than just acting like a general douche (which is how you come across - I am sure it isn't the case, but it is exactly how you appear)

15. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

Fair enough, so what do you want me to do? Are you trying to say that Martial arts would be a waste of time for me?

If i remember correctly, this is a forum and I came here to get suggestions from people not to hear about my lifestyle.

I don't like dramas. I talk straight to the point which can offend people but that's the way it is. IF you can't suggest me any art here, then it would be good that you just leave the thread.

I don't mean to nitpick but this is the worst forum I have came across considering I visit many forums and people don't act that stuffed like they do here. This is just disappointing.

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Review your opening post :cool:

edit: Just do Judo.

17. Hannibal

What I am saying is that even just from my personal persepctive I have vastly more experience than you in life, combat and self-protection strategies. This also does not include the advice and opinions of everyone else on here who is saying the same thing. When we talk you really should lsten

Out of context you are saying "Which art is best?" - the answer as all should know by now is "none because it is specific to circumstances". Without an awareness of this any answer is relativley meaningless

Your expectations are flawed - no style will allow you to play Neo against a 100 agent Smiths. The reason we are asking why you fight all the time is because that shows you are ether in the wrong places or are doing the wrong things.

Both of these factors are far more important to address than any physical skill you choose to train in

18. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

I know these factors and I m on the right track. I just want to choose 1 of the art and master it. That's why I came here to get suggestions. Trust me, it's all good. Nothing serious, and I have no bad intentions or something.

19. Hannibal

You cannot just "dodge or block" in a genuine self-protection situation. If you can then you are just in a willy-size situation that you should have walked away from.

If this is your prerequisite though, Muay Thai is the realistic choice

20. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

True that. Unless you're off-guard I m pretty sure you will be confident. I mean if I m gonna fight a guy, I ll assume mostly he is an untrained strong fighter with no experience. In that case it will be easier to beat. Though, I know what you mean.

Yes, I was thinking muay thai but I don't wanna do it for now. So, other than that can you recommend out of those 4?

JKD or KM or Kali or Wing Chun

I have heard Krav maga is the best hand to hand combat as it deals with real life situations, over the top it's easier and quicker to learn.
    JKD is my favorite due to bruce lee, but I heard it takes long time.
    Kali is my 2nd favorite particularly due to jason bourne movies. I just love the style of Kali. So smooth and fluid, it is probably the best combination if you include weapon and empty hand combat.

So, what do you reckon out of these?