Jeet Kune Do vs Wing Chun vs Krav Maga vs Filipino Kali vs Muay Thai

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by blade007, Sep 6, 2011.

1. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

To be honest, I have never heard about ameri-do-te whatever. I doubt it even exists.

2. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

aint that the style from the comedy skit?

3. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Shhhhhhh. Dont tell anyone.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

JKD? BS
    Kali? BS
    Krav? BS
    Muay Thai? BS

Name another

Karate? BS

Ameri Do Te? that's what I'm talking about

5. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

crush the groin ...the Amerite do way

6. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

It doesn't matter which art you train in. Go to the schools in your area, try them out, and stick with the art you believe in.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Nobody with a self-admitted short fuse should be learning weapons use.

8. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

why not? we are not living in heaven. what if you get surrounded by guys with weapons?

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Heaven'd be about the best thing you could hope for.

10. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

What if you lose your cool over something that, in retrospect, was no big deal? But by then, you've already beaten someone unconscious with a rattan stick? Or stabbed them?

11. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

Depends on the person. I'm not gonna stab the person. If i have weapon training, atleast I can defend myself and temporarily incapacitate the opponent. Plus, if you're trained why would you lose control? Makes sense.

12. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

This is all conjecture, you realize that.

Go start looking for schools in your area and posting links in this thread. We will review them and give you some recommendations. There may even be some people in your area who can weigh in on what schools to check you.

13. blade007

blade007 Valued Member

Thanks for the help, I'll post the links in 2-3 days.

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Training isn't magic. It isn't going to resolve that sort of personality trait. If you're getting into needless altercations now, you likely will then as well. You'll just be better at it.

Clearly, it makes sense to know what to do in various situations. But I'm just not getting the sense that you're bothered by the supposed frequency with which you get into fights.

15. Hannibal

Do as they say

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I did. And it lengthened my fuse. A little anyway ;)

I would personally choose FMA as an all round fighting art and JKD as an approach to training and yes with the right instructor FMA does deal with multiple opponents.

Best regards

Pat.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

All the same, I don't particularly want to advocate a knifefighting class for someone who seems to take fighting so casually.

18. Hannibal

or thinks life is like "The Matrix"

19. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Ap and Hannibal. A good FMA instructor won't teach knife straight away anyway and they will soon realise if someone thinks life is like the Matrix and encourage them to wake up to reality or leave.

Let just say when I started I was not you role model student or what some perceive as a ideal student. In fact I was what you would call a bit of a naughty boy. But it eventually steered me in the right direction.

I have a lot of students who many would perceive from their previous background as being a bit of a naughty boy. But now the are some of the best students I could ask for.

I have had some people who you would perceive as being nice ideal students turn out to be ego driven idiots so swings and round abouts really.

So people change if you let them have the chance.

Best regards

Pat.

20. Hannibal

I have no dounbt in my mind this would happen - I have taught a few "rough 'uns" in my time. Most usually don't have the cojones to stay the distance after a hard session! If they do they make suprisingly good students

In this particular case I just think we have an immature teen full of hormones,P&V, which I why I think Muau Thai would get most of that out of him....getting mashed on your first session tends to do that!