jeet kune do tree

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LeeGreg89, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

My school is in growing pains......alot of people want to train with me.....but I send most on their way......because of character......unless they want help and truly want to grow.........it all comes down to money........we need it in every day living......but money isn't everything.......Integrity my friend's can not be bought by money.......I can sleep at night.....I hope you can too! Happy St. Patrick's Day! ALL!!!!!

John Fitzpatrick McNabney

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

well all ads that i have seen don't mention jkd.although they might have done before.the thing is dan inosanto name is well known now.
    yeah he does charge alot for seminars but people want to pay him this much,just for the sake of him training with bl.sure might be for some,but he does what seminar hosts ask for.and not every one wants to learn jkd.

true. but bl left inosanto in charge of the whole of jkd. not saying he was the best but why did he do this??

your right with what u say. people have a shot at him for making to much money,or doing this or not doing that but this ways how BL taught him.so he is carrying on jkd the way that he feels bl wanted it to go.
    same with other instructor that ar neither better or worse just have a different light on jkd.

3. tel

hi pat , have to apologise for saying that people dont advertise dan inosanto as bruce lees training partner. i saw it today in an advert so i like to correct myself

4. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

No prob's mate, put it this way I have no problem with people doing it, after all they have to raise the money to pay for the event at the end of the day. thats the reality of it. And this lable is a cross Dan has to bear I'm affraid, I have a lot of respect for him even though he is not the sort of instructor I favour. But that is my personal chioce and bears no relation to his abilities.

Each to his own I say, and good luck to the good guys for doing what they do.

Remember not everyone will like a particular instructor regardless of how good they are.

Regards

Pat

5. tel

just saw interview from taky where u got your statement
    BL told taky kimura that chi sao was not the focal point anymore. not that he stopped doing it anymore.BL didnt want tunnel vision on chi sao.where u have to do it like in wing chun

Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  6. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

I read more than one interview with Taky where this was brought up. I remember him saying that Bruce Lee called him up and told him that, "chi sao is out". But you may be 100%. I wasn't there.

7. tel

if u can get hold of it,read jkd conversations by fraguas
    got interview with lost first and some second generation students.
    also it was a part of the material BL taught up til his death.
    its in the jun fan gung fu(ojkd)
    its a v good book

8. El Mastero

El Mastero New Member

The next time I'm at Barnes & Nobles, I'll see if they have it. Thanks.

9. LS

LS Full Metal Jacket.

El Mastero, go on ebay. I & I sports I think has it somewhere on their ebay page. The thing about the book is thazt it probably is already out of print as with a lot of other JKD books out there.

About Chi Sao. I don't know, but the stuff I"ve been training is based on the last year of Bruce's life where the direction taken by Bruce was really different from when JKD was conceived in 67. A lot of footwork, is all I have to say. In my 1.5 years, I have yet to do chi sao. My friend who's been in it for almost four years only did Chi Sao two to three times and that's because he had a question about it. Other than that, chi sao was rarely done or emphasized. And to correct the info regarding that call in 69 about chi sao being out. Taky called Ted to let him know that Bruce himself said that chi sao was out and I think it's on Andy Kimura's website talking about why chi sao was out in an interview.

10. tel

i think there is a miss understanding here.
    taky kimura in the interview qoutes that chi sao was out has a focal point.
    not that BL totally throw it out.

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Let me say this.........it is very hard to teach chi-sao to beginners.......in my research.......I have found that Bruce Lee had troubles teaching it in the begining because the students didn't understand it yet.......so he broke it down to prepare them for it by doing energy drills.......then once they got that..... they could put it all together.......because of the fitting in process.

Chi-sao will prepare you for seeing with the arms and not the eyes......seeing with the eyes is much slower.......just some of my thoughts guys!

Take It Easy,
    John :D

12. faster than you

faster than you Valued Member

wong rarely teaches chi sao and when he does it's for, "historical purposes." he doesn't beleive in chi sao...smart man.

13. tel

i think chi sao can be important.as long as u understand the princples of it,it will only in prove u.just don't be bound by it

14. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

Wong dosen't teach Chi Sao because he himself "admittedly" can't do it.

15. faster than you

can't do it beacuse brue thought chi sao wasn't worth teaching. i love how all of the world's top fighters manage to be champions without ever practcing chi sao.

16. tel

mmmm...... are u sure bout that? thai boxers,wrestlers most arts in fact have energy drills in them.maybe a different way of doing it but they are used by top fighters

17. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

You don't have an understanding of the use of chi sao, so your answer is taken with a grain of salt.

Boxing champs go through their carreers without kicking. How will they do in a Thai fight? No differance in what you said.

Chi sao training has nothing to do with being able to fight like Jackie Chan. Theres no use commenting on what you don't know. :D

18. faster than you

i never said anything about jackie chan--did i? yes, i know boxers might never train kicks. thank you, captain obvious of the s.s. DUH. by the way, the word is spelled difference not "differance", genius. some boxers might do well in a thai fight by simply countering a poor kick with a dandy of a right cross. anyway, your retort fails to counter anything on the topic of world's best fighters training in chi sao or lee's teaching wong.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  19. tel

yep agree, thing is if u never study chi sao,understanding the principle then how can u say its either good or bad.

yeah lee did teach wong and so its been said he stopped teaching it as a focal point.point is every art and most fighters will use energy drills.they are only one part of your training.so agree when u say can't use them in a fight.but that is not the idea or concept

20. James Kovacich

James Kovacich RENEGADE

You are so mis-guided. :rolleyes: