jeet kune do tree

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by LeeGreg89, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

JKD was closed in 1971

Len,
    It is false and misleading propoganda spread by the Mr. Inosanto concepts group that Mr.Lee named only Mr.Inosanto as sole inheritor and as head of all JKD. With all due respect it is known that Mr.Lee closed his JKD school in 1971 and disbanned the practice of all teacing and certification in JKD. Mr.Lee complained that Mr.Inosanto who was officially only a teaching assistant and never a full instructor, had organized the JKD instruction too much and he was afraid that the students would mistake the techniques for the art. There is no need to make up stuff to make your JKD instructor seem more important. Mr.Lee said that JKD was like a boat. Like a boat JKD is to be discarded when you get to the other side. The people that really understand JKD discard it and continue their research....that's just what Mr.Inosanto has done. He has discarded the old JKD just like Mr.Lee told him to do.
    KB

2. tel

tel absorb what is useful for

sorry but not quite right.
    tho u do say some things that are well known already.well BL left the US he left dan inosanto in charge of jkd.tho he only said teach few people.
    even linda lee said inosanto was the right man to carry on what her husband had done,its in a book just can't remember what one. was in a letter to inosanto.and when the BL foundation thing started they are asked dan inosanto to be part of it.as he chose not to linda lee and the rest of thr group stated that dan inosanto was the one that BL passed the touch too,so to speak.tho there are few first generation students apart from taky kimura and james lee the rest are under dan inosanto.and as he is the higest rank ans the one who bruce asked to look after jkd.dan inosanto is the top guy

3. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

I have heard stories of JKD rank and i understand officially that Mr. Lee handed out student certificates in JKD, like level 1 was the yellow belt and level 2 the green belt and level 3 corresponds to the brown belt. There are several 1960's videos that contain footage of Inosanto/Wong and others but they look like green belts at best.
    No one has a certificate signed by Mr.Lee stating that the person is an instructor of JKD.
    Mr.Bruce Lee informed Mr.Inosanto, after he closed his school that Mr.Inosanto could teach a few students. Mr.James Lee gave a letter to Mr.Gary Dill saying the same thing. Both were told not to teach technique and call it JKD.
    I must repeat the following:no one has ever produced a certificate signed by Mr.Bruce Lee stating that the above named person is certified as an INSTRUCTOR of jeet kune do.
    Yet members of the Dan Inosanto group have fabricated all sorts of stories about a will or some official documentation that Mr.I. was named to head JKD. Mr.I. was not named to head JKD. He was only given permission to teach a small group,perhaps six, and he was not to teach technique and call it JKD.
    It was not until Paula Pederson became Mrs.Daniel Inosanto in 1989 that all the back stabbing and false accusations began. Some say she witnessed the demise of GM Edmund Parker's kenpo organizatiuon after his death and took measures to insure that if Mr.Inosanto died she could still control JKD. Is that why she became so agressive toward anyone not in the Mr.Dan Inosanto organization?
    The highest rank given by Mr.Lee was equivalent to a brown belt who was told over and over again, "Do not teach technique and call it jeet kune do".

4. tel

what u say might be true,but the fact is when lee left for hong kong he asked dan inosanto to take charge.when lee died ,most of the students asked inosanto to carry on teaching,and linda lee wanted him too as well.
    she stated that he was the man to carry on where bl had left it.what u say might be true,im just saying what happened

5. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You know you are closer to the truth than many would care to admit. I met her twice and thought to my self, if you were my wife I would be doing a long time in prison. BUt then again every man makes his choice and I am sure she keeps his bank balance looking heatlhy.;)

regards

Pat

6. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

The Tao of Bruce Lee

A book by Davis Miller was published a few years ago called the "Tao of Bruce Lee". Miller went to Hong Kong to get the truth about Mr.Lee. He found that Mr.Lee had quite a few romances. He died in his girlfriends room. Maybe prison would have been a safer alternative.
    I agree that the students of Master Bruce Lee wanted Mr.Inosanto to continue leading the group. When Mr.Lee died Mrs.Lee and the students pointed to Mr.Inosanto as the spokesman for JKD. Nothing was official. That is just how it played out.

7. Pat OMalley

And then he got married, and it really hit the fan then, shortly after I left the IN CROWD, but then again he fell out with Hartsell, Bustillo etc etc. All training partners, say no more.

Regards

Pat

8. Len

Len Valued Member

Look guys LOL. It's not my opinion. Dan Inosanto is either a liar or he's telling the truth. I have it on tape. It's not his organization that is saying this....it's him directly. It's available to anyone that wants to purchase it. Dan is sitting in a chair and he says from his lips that when Bruce was ready to leave for Hong Kong he looked at Dan and said and I quote "Dan, you are now in charge of Jeet Kune Do". Anyone who says this is false, can argue with the man himself. I am not saying this to make Dan look good. It is on tape. There is solid fact this came from Dan's lips himself. Dan was Bruce Lee's best friend and has more field time clocked in with Bruce than any other of his students. Also to verify this, you can ask Linda Lee. I'm sure if Bruce were to say something this important, he would have also told his wife about his decision.
    And to Kickchick - Dan has a certificate saying "Jeet Kune Do"....Dan Inosanto on it. He was allowed to teach Jeet Kune Do. I've seen it with my own eyes. That's what he was ranked 3rd in so you're wrong.

And the comment about Bruce's students having more experience than I'll ever have is irrelevant. I am not comparing my JKD years of experience with theirs. I will never match theirs. The point I am saying is Bruce did not ok their authorization to teach. He could have but he didn't. Dan is ranked 3rd in Jeet Kune Do. Taky is ranked 1st. James is ranked 2nd. No one else was given permission. Those original students probably have a lot of knowledge cause Bruce taught them first hand. But again I say this....knowing a lot and having authorization to teach are two different things. Those guys never got permission from Bruce. Since James died before Bruce, unless you come from Taky or Dan, it is not official. Ok I am through arguing with this. And I fortell many people will still argue even though these facts have been made. They are not opinions....not claims....no organization said this. Dan himself said this. And Dan would not exploit Bruce for his own personal gain. There were a lot of fake JKD schools popping up after Bruce died. Many of these places never met Bruce, obviously never certified to teach his art, and their techniques were nothing close to Bruce's JKD. This forced Dan to come out with his group to show the public what Bruce really taught. That and the fact that it would have been a shame that the knowledge of JKD would have gone to the grave with Bruce had it not been for Inosanto. Dan is doing a great job spreading Lee's teachings accurately. Whether or not Bruce Lee had affairs has as much relevance as the Monica Lewinsky affair to Clinton. Clinton's ability to lead the country or make decisions was not affected by getting head. Likewise whether or not these affairs were real or not is irrelevant. We are talking about his art and the continuation of it...not his love life.

As far as Hartsell, Vunak, or anyone else....they wanted to make their own name and living. It's not that they don't like Dan. They would defend Dan at the drop of the hat. Hartsell still returns from time to time to train with Dan. Vunak too. Also Dan has been busy training with the Machado brothers, Master Chai the Thai boxing expert, and Francis Fong from Wing Chun. I'm sure all of you loved your parents but you wouldn't want to live with them for the rest of your lives. You want to go out and make it on your own after you have enough knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  9. Pat OMalley

Sorry mate, but I am sure he don't drive a taxi in his spare time to pay the bills. When you see what he charges for teaching a seminar you can't say that he does not exploit the Bruce Lee name, and when he mentions him in ever other sentance in order to promote either himself, his videos, his seminars etc etc, that too is expliotation.

99% Expliot the Bruce Lee name, the other 1% is dead.

Regards

Pat

10. tel

agree with what u say,apart from the 99% :) .
    dan promotes filipino ma,as much as anything.
    and even if dan inosanto exploites the name BL then at least we have giving a correct account of what happened more then some one who only passed him by in the street.
    there is such a demand for jkd because of bruce lee the movie star,but how many of these guys stick around for years?
    if jkd had died with bruce lee,would be more of a shame then people like inosanto,poteet,kimura, teaching and helping people understand ideas of the art or arts

11. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I teach Jeet Kune do to help people find themself in life.....not for money.......this is and always be the most important thing about Jeet Kune Do......it isn't about the other guy.......what he does or doesn't do.......its more about you and your character......and how you live in this world with others......of course this is just my opinion........walk on!

Take It Easy,
    John

12. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

On the money

Pat the cat,
    You are on the money in your post. Mr.Inosanto was spokesperson for JKD after 1973. Until... I have heard from several reliable sources that, Paula Pederson decided she could make Mr.I. into a rich man in the JKD field. As soon as Paula came on the scene around 1986 things started changing. There was a camp in NC called the Smokey Mt. JKD camp. Paula saw that they made money so she cancelled the contract/agreement raised the fee and started charging the most unreasonable rate of $3000 per seminar plus air fare for her and Mr.Inosanto. Say what you must but Mr.Inosanto is a money making machine. Therefore he must offer new arts to keep everyone interested.
    Mrs. Inosanto is the basic reason why the BLF was formed and Mr.Inosanto was taken to court by the family of Mrs.Bruce Lee to recover items owned by the family and stored at the Inosanto Academy..
    The propaganda about the levels 2,3 etc is completely misleading. They are not like dan levels or black belt levels. The JKD levels are for students under Mr.Bruce Lee. They are very much the same as colored belts, in fact each level at one time had a corresponding shirt color.
    If Mr.Lee told Mr.Inosanto that he was in charge he meant "In charge of the small backyard training group". That is all that was left of the art/school formerly known as JKD.
    Ask Mr.Poteet or Mr.Dan Lee and they will tell you that since they were already black belts under Mr.Parker they had no interest in rank with Bruce.No one even thought about it..except Mr.Inosanto. Mr.Inosanto was NEVER considered the best tactitian he was just the guy that led the exercises when Mr.Lee was absent. Mr.Inosanto is now the BEST teacher.
    Mr.Inosanto is an honest guy. But he will permit you to misinterpret what he has said. And he will allow others like his wife to do his dirty work. He also says in the published interview in "The Jeet Kune Do Experience" that "I could not do the JKD like Bruce" therefore he changed to the JKD concept and used many other arts in place of the original JKD taught and performed by Mr.Lee.
    The JKD Tree favors the Inosanto branch. Some still point to the propaganda and say only 3 people were certified to teach. Mr.Kimura had a business and did not need extra income. Mr.James Lee died before.Mr.Bruce Lee. Interesting that leaves only Mr.Inosanto.
    Mr.Ted Wong and Mr.Jerry Poteet were the superior JKD performers who did not change the art. They also have JKD Trees as does Mr.Larry Hartsell and many others.
    Mr.Inosanto has grown rich from his connection to JKD..true. But he has earned 75% of his riches based on his own unique talent, knowledge and skill. Mr.Lee's name got him in the door but he stayed inside on his own merit.

13. archrival_keysi

archrival_keysi Valued Member

Well i didn know some of what you have just said Kickbox but alot of it makes sence WELL PUT....

regards to everybody

train hard train safe and respect your training partner remember its there go next

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

Great post Kickbox,

John

15. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

Is the truth finally coming out ?

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I doubt it - I haven't read anything new yet :rolleyes:

I hear a few axes grinding though - LMAO!!!

17. tel

people come out of wood work to have a go at inosanto.but it was Bl that asked him to look after jkd,and that is what he is doing.he maybe making money,but u tell me who in jkd is'nt. linda lee gave john little BL notes so he could make her a millionaire and wow what happened.she's a millionaire.
    all im saying that dan inosanto is not the only man making money from jkd.
    as for the bruce lee foundation another way to make money for linda and shannon.

18. Kickbox

Kickbox New Member

Mrs.Lee was a wealthy widow who married a millionaire developer (Mr.Cadwell). She has expressed interest in JKD only when fellow Bruce Lee students ask her to get involved....proabably because they could see that Mr. and Mrs Inosanto were becomming very wealthy. It could be that Mr.Lee's other students wanted to preserve the art but I suspect that they also saw dollar signs. So far the only person to cash in big time is Mr.Inosanto. I think he has earned his money. Here's why.
    Miss Shannon Lee now owns all rights to the name Bruce Lee, jeet kune do, jun fan, logos etc. Some people argue that the money is in Mr.Lee's name. Miss Shannon is not a millionaire and she owns almost everything connected to her farther, the late Mr.Bruce Lee.
    Still, even without control of the name Mr.Inosanto continues to earn...someone said $150 per month, per student (over 200) at the Inosanto Academy. plus the $3000+ per seminar fee, plus the lucrative sale of shirts and other gear.
    Is this bashing Mr.Inosanto? I think not. Mr.Inosanto is in his own class. No one else in JKD is even close.
    It is O.K. to say that Mr.Poteet is great at JKD. Or, Mr.Lamar Davis has exellent technique, or Mr.Vunak sales a lot of tapes. They all earn very little compared to Mr.I. In no way can they harm his earning power or his prestiege or take students from him. To attack "Original" JKD teachers and students makes absouletly no sense. To say that there is only one JKD family tree is not necessary.
    Mr.Inosanto and his JKD concepts organization will prosper no matter what is said. Attacking OJKD advocates is like beating the poor because they got a job. There is no reason. Let the OJKD instructors follow their dream. If they were in it for money they would become JKDC instructors.
    Now where are the family trees for the other 10-15 people who took instruction from Mr.Bruce Lee?

19. tel

ok u make a good point,but where did all the money go from all the books?,re releases on his video's?
    as you stated dan inosanto is in a class of his own,yes people do but his name with BL but he is popular because of his skill and knowledge of the arts more then jkd or jun fan.
    as u may be aware,his seminar's only small portion are on jun fan jkd

20. Pat OMalley

No offence but Dan could teach the tiddlewinks at a seminar and it would still be promoted as Bruce Lee's JKD / Training partner, and good luck to the man for earning a comfortable living from it, but like the man said he is not the only personal student of Bruce Lee, there are BL students out there that have learn't a lot more and trained with Bruce for a lot longer than Dan. ta the end of the day he is only one peice in the jigsaw puzzle but he is not much to the amazment of some the most important peice.

Does it matter if he had this rank, that rank or what ever, no, I am sure there are others who had the same. He was asked to look after one group, and someone else was asked to look after another. Thos of us that have our own organisations tend to do this. I have people look after certain things in my group, It does not mean that they are the best at the art, it only means that they are the easiest and most reliable person to look after that item in that area.

He may earnt he most, and good luck to him, but is he the best of all the JKD exponents, well that is a matter of opinion. But at the end of the day you cant take someone esles opinion on it, like all human beings you have to make your own mind up.

Ask yourslef this simple question, what would you rather be? The Sheep or the Shepard? We all know what happens to the sheep in the end don't we;)

And you would be surprised just how many people love being a sheep.

regards

Pat

"If you want the good apples you got to shake the tree"